Best Router +)

Spike23

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, i am looking to purchase a new router.
Currently i am still thinking..=) everything works etc..
but i just thought maybe i should upgrade to a new one?
Any suggestions?

I prefer linksys since my old one is the same brand..
Or whichever =) throw some brands for me =) all gravy.

Also nah...my old router is like BEFSW114 or something really old stuff.
Ya i am planning to get the 54g, is going to cost me 90 bucks CDN

D-Link DGL-4300

About a year ago I picked up the D-Link DGL-4300 to replace a 6+ yr old Netgear RO318. I would have picked up another Netgear except at the time they didn't offer an integrated gigabit switch. It's not as solidly built as the Netgear but it's wicked fast and has plenty of tweakable options.

One thing I don't like about it is lack of good logging. From what I've observed you can log everything or mostly nothing. With the Netgear I had more discretion.

Please stop recommending the WRT54, its time of being an effective enthusiast router is long past. It makes a nice AP with dd-wrt but for the money there are better choices out there now without the headache.

Please stop recommending the WRT54, its time of being an effective enthusiast router is long past. It makes a nice AP with dd-wrt but for the money there are better choices out there now without the headache.

Thank you. I was asking myself why people still want that junk. :rolleyes:

Thank you. I was asking myself why people still want that junk. :rolleyes:

It's really nice for repeaters, wrt54g's are cheap, repeaters are not. I have never had a wireless router that reaches my whole house even with after market antennas, but I use a wrt54g (v6, works fine) as a repeater and now my whole house is covered.

The WRT54GL is a totally different router from the WRT54G, and it's kinda decent.

No, it's not. The wrt54gl is the wrt54g v4.0, they reproduced the v4.0 because the wrt54g v5.0 and after are severely gimped for using dd-wrt. The L stands for linux because they wanted it to be used for dd-wrt.

No, it's not. The wrt54gl is the wrt54g v4.0, they reproduced the v4.0 because the wrt54g v5.0 and after are severely gimped for using dd-wrt. The L stands for linux because they wanted it to be used for dd-wrt.
Exactly.

The modern WRT54G is a totally different router than the WRT54G 4.0.. hence, the -GL is a different router than the 54G ;)

Exactly.

The modern WRT54G is a totally different router than the WRT54G 4.0.. hence, the -GL is a different router than the 54G ;)

Its not a totally different router its the same router but with more ram and memory everything else inside is the same.

See here. Same cpu, cpu speed, just less ram and memory.

Its not a totally different router its the same router but with more cache and memory everything else inside is the same.

See here. Same cpu, cpu speed, just less ram and memory.

Huh, I thought it used a different chipset. Thanks for the link.

Still, double the RAM and double the flash makes a big difference

Buffalo WHR-G125 running DD-WRT. It's cheap, and works very well.

Agreed. Either the DGL-4300 or the DIR-655.

Or, if you can wait a bit, the upcomming DGL-4500 or DIR-855. They will be dual-band versions.

The DIR-655 is a performance monster. It is hard to beat it.

D-Link DGL-4300

About a year ago I picked up the D-Link DGL-4300 to replace a 6+ yr old Netgear RO318. I would have picked up another Netgear except at the time they didn't offer an integrated gigabit switch. It's not as solidly built as the Netgear but it's wicked fast and has plenty of tweakable options.

One thing I don't like about it is lack of good logging. From what I've observed you can log everything or mostly nothing. With the Netgear I had more discretion.

Agreed. Either the DGL-4300 or the DIR-655.

Or, if you can wait a bit, the upcomming DGL-4500 or DIR-855. They will be dual-band versions.

The DIR-655 is a performance monster. It is hard to beat it.

When is the DIR 855 actually due out?

EDIT: I see at least one UK retailer lists "Q1 2008".

If you're looking for cheap, a Buffalo WHR-125 or WHR-G54 are great with DD-WRT firmware...

But, if you really want an upgrade, Get the Linksys WRT-350N. Its wireless N (good range), runs DD-WRT, and is a gigabit switch, so all around you have a nice upgrade.

I tried playing Madden08 through wireless and it was choppy as hell and dropped the connection.

I run the Linksys WRT54G

I was thinking a MIMO router...

What is your guys take?

Thanks genious... geez.. not one of these routers were tested in a gaming environment.
Excuse me? Did you even bother to read the thread? That is a compilation of routers recommended here in the past by experts who do this for a living day in and day out. I've even owned a few myself. They have all been "tested" in our homes, in our labs and at our customers. There are plenty of reviews out there that you can google based upon that list if you want to whine about them not having "great for gaming" on them.

Before you start throwing insults around it'd be wise to read. I also suggest you read my signature as you seem to think this forum is a pay service where you can abuse people.

And since you won't be bothered to read the thread: Any of these routers are more than suited for gaming.
D-Link DIR-655, D-Link DGL-4300, Linksus WRT330N, Netgear WNR854T

The Dlink 655 seems like a fantastic upgrade all the way around.

For what reason(s) would anyone want to wait for the 855 over the current 655?

The Dlink 655 seems like a fantastic upgrade all the way around.

For what reason(s) would anyone want to wait for the 855 over the current 655?

I dont know. It better be good. if it is good I will pick one or two up :)

What about the 3Com 3CR858-91? I bought one for my two computers and I saw a site that says it's compatible with trading software.

Another vote for the DIR-655, I've deployed about 30 of them so far and have had great luck with them. Throughput is great and it has a lot of features.

I personally own a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54, and with tomato it has been most excellent. Superior uptime, excellent connection management with Tomato installed, along with borderline ludicrous range, makes a great router. Two opposable thumbs up.

For a router such as the DIR-655, do you need to have a compatiable N adapter card on say a laptop to effectively make use of the MIMO tech? I'm currently running a DGL-4300, so I'm just wondering.

For a router such as the DIR-655, do you need to have a compatiable N adapter card on say a laptop to effectively make use of the MIMO tech? I'm currently running a DGL-4300, so I'm just wondering.
You do not need a matching adapter to take advantage of the extended range that a router with MIMO can give you, however if you want to take full advantage of the speed increase you will.

I read the article, and even researched reviews on all the routers, and not ONE review was in a gaming environment.

It wasn't abuse towards you, I think you assume I am not intelligent enough to read. Please mind your Ps and Qs.

Excuse me? Did you even bother to read the thread? That is a compilation of routers recommended here in the past by experts who do this for a living day in and day out. I've even owned a few myself. They have all been "tested" in our homes, in our labs and at our customers. There are plenty of reviews out there that you can google based upon that list if you want to whine about them not having "great for gaming" on them.

Before you start throwing insults around it'd be wise to read. I also suggest you read my signature as you seem to think this forum is a pay service where you can abuse people.

And since you won't be bothered to read the thread: Any of these routers are more than suited for gaming.
D-Link DIR-655, D-Link DGL-4300, Linksus WRT330N, Netgear WNR854T

You do not need a matching adapter to take advantage of the extended range that a router with MIMO can give you, however if you want to take full advantage of the speed increase you will.

^^ What about if you have a PC a good two floors away from the DIR 655? Would the matching PCI N card be sufficient to get good-great performance or would more steps be required?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1233066

^^ That's the situation I'm trying to figure out right now.

I read the article, and even researched reviews on all the routers, and not ONE review was in a gaming environment.
No offense but if you read the first paragraph you'd know why those routers are even on the list. They've been tested and deployed by enthusiasts and experts in this forum who do this for a living and a good number of them have even passed through my home so I have first-hand knowledge of them.

Second, what kind of "gaming" testing would you like? "Gaming" has become a ridiculously huge branding that aims to make people think game traffic is somehow different from the rest of the traffic that occurs on your network. The fact is - it isn't. If a router can pass gobs of traffic from LAN to WAN and pass torrent abuse tests - is there any reason why you think it wouldn't somehow pass a "gaming" test?

This is not "Maximum PC" - I don't subscribe to the idea that "gaming routers" are somehow better than any other router based solely upon the name.

The -only- thing that might make a tiny bit of difference is if the router has QoS - which is noted in the list.

^^ What about if you have a PC a good two floors away from the DIR 655? Would the matching PCI N card be sufficient to get good-great performance or would more steps be required?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1233066

^^ That's the situation I'm trying to figure out right now.
Replying in your thread.

Back