okay, I've had it with Linksys junk. someone point me to a good wireless router.

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
as the title says. I've had it this damn Linksys crap that needs to be restarted once a week because I keep on losing my damn internet connection. :mad:

therefore I need someone to suggest another router that I can set it and forget it.

Are you using torrents? Do you have a lot of some other type of internet traffic? If so you need a non-consumer option and something like smoothwall, ipcop, cisco, etc. that is more towards that kind of load.

Also check out DD-WRT...I have used it on many clients with great success.

Are you using torrents? Do you have a lot of some other type of internet traffic? If so you need a non-consumer option and something like smoothwall, ipcop, cisco, etc. that is more towards that kind of load.

Yeah..what kind of loads are you putting on it? Cuz if you're hitting it heavy with that p2p junk...you'll find this issue with pretty much any home grade router you pickup for under 100 bucks.

Get rid of it, i had it. it gave me problems, all the new linksys products suck.

I got a Dlink DIR-655 Xtreme and its wonderful. 10x better.

Get rid of it, i had it. it gave me problems, all the new linksys products suck.

How many of their products have you had to install/support? Including their biz grade products? You basing this on installing one or two of their different 40 dollar entry level models you're purchased at BestBuy, or from working in the IT industry and having supported over 75% of their products in all categories?

I had 100% uptime with this router.... D-Link 4100-4300 (without/with wireless) I have had the 4100 for 1yr NEVER had to restart it, and my house is using it heavy, I mean 1tb a per month...

DGL-4300 or DIR-655 are excellent choices.

The DGL-4300 has better MAC address filtering capabilities if that's important.

I had 100% uptime with this router.... D-Link 4100-4300 (without/with wireless) I have had the 4100 for 1yr NEVER had to restart it, and my house is using it heavy, I mean 1tb a per month...

34GB per day?

"Watch out for the FBI"
- Brill - 'Enemy of the State'

So what do you download to use 1tb?

You don't have to download anything to use the router. Filesharing between computers inside the house, such as a NAS fileserver, or an MP3 server, or even streaming movies through the network can use up a chunk of bandwidth.

Staying on topic: I personally have no problems with Linksys routers, be it wired or wireless. I use it at home and work. My personal workgroup switch for my computers in my bedroom uses a D-link gigabit switch though. I never have problems with D-link either.

The only problem I've had with routers was when Comcast gave me a Netgear. It kept kicking me offline 3 times a day and it was getting super hot. You could smell burning plastic everytime you go near it. But I don't like to judge a product line by a single misfortune. It's probably just an old router another customer abused before they gave it to me. I traded it in for a Linksys and the problem went away.

Back