Yes, it overclocks as well as you'd hope, even on stock. (8800GT reviewer result)

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/3072-comment-update-thread-evga-8800gt-review.html

The 8800GT is beaten out by... itself!

As I've been saying, even on stock, you're going to see some impressive numbers so long as you have decent case cooling ;):

HardwareCanucks said:
OVERCLOCKING

After hours of trying to find a stable clock rate that would run all of the benchmarks at stable settings we finally came up with one heck of an overclock. Please note that this was done on the stock cooler. In addition, nTune was used to achieve the overclocks you see here.

Final overclock:

Core: 744Mhz
Memory: 1009Mhz (2018Mhz)

This represents a 95Mhz overclock from the Superclocked speeds (and an earth-shattering 144Mhz overclock from the stock 8800GT core speed. Unfortunately, the memory didn't overclock as well as I thought it might which is probably due to EVGA specing tighter timings on the ram modules since they run at 1900Mhz instead of their rated 2Ghz. Nonetheless, we were able to overclock the ram to 2.018Ghz which is an incredible 218Mhz over a stock 8800GT's speeds.

I believe most will see an average of 720ish-core/2000ram on stock.

beautifull. I'd love strip it naked and put a nice fat cooler on it and crank up the speed

beautifull. I'd love strip it naked and put a nice fat cooler on it and crank up the speed

I just ordered one of the two coolers I need for my pair of cards, newegg only had 1... wish I had ordered the 2 I wanted last night :(. It's an 8800GTX-style cooler that exhausts hot air out the back of the case, making the card into a 2-slotter... Thermaltake ND1 CL-G0080. Has heatpipes, flat copper base that covers RAM as well, and mounts properly on these cards (at least the mounting dimensions match, I haven't personally gotten to test that yet of course ;)). I'll be ordering a 2nd one the instant they come back in-stock there, but this will let me test one of my two incoming 8800GT cards to see the overclocking difference :D!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106090

They had been out-of-stock a week ago and came back in, despite the ETA saying what it does now, so it should be back within a few days :D.

Legit gave this a good review and it is quiet...can't wait to hear your exp with that cooler. (edit this because it was not clear what the hell I was talking about LOL)

I've seen mixed results on overclocking, but I would say 675MHz-700MHz is a safe estimate of what everyone should be able to reach on stock voltage. After that... 7900GT volt mod craze anyone? :D

They used a an evga 8800GT SC, I wan't them to try to overclock the stock 600/1800 model, as well.

Good overclock none the less, but I would like to see the variation, all 8800GTs use 1.0 ns (2000mhz) chips, but this one could only make it to 2018 mhz, and their are 8800 ultras that do over 2400mhz on 1.0 ns chips. They need to nibitor or rivatune the memory timings from this and compare it to the SSC card.

How is that a massive OC? That sounds like what the GTS are getting. Plus what were the temps when running that OC?

And the amount of fps gain from such a small increase in speeds is interesting... (95mhz over their other test example)

I'll have mine on the 1st. They'll be on stock air until DD releases their full coverage blocks for them :D .

What I'm interested in is the OC difference between a EVGA 8800GT (Regular) and 8800GT SC. The SC runs at 650 default, but I wonder if its 700+mhz overclock is due to a better process die? Or one with more potential? That said, do you guys think the regular 8800GT by EVGA will OC less?

What I'm interested in is the OC difference between a EVGA 8800GT (Regular) and 8800GT SC. The SC runs at 650 default, but I wonder if its 700+mhz overclock is due to a better process die? Or one with more potential? That said, do you guys think the regular 8800GT by EVGA will OC less?

if you think that EVGA has already pre-screened the chips for clock potential then you'd have to assume that the regular will OC less than the SC..

if you look at evga's site they have 4 different 8800GT cards..

regular (600)
SC (650)
KO (675)
SSC (700)

so i'd assume they are doing some pre-screening of the clock potential for these cards..

infact i'll bet there is a percentage cutoff as to what chip goes to where..

eg..

to be a SSC the card has to have a potential of 750, KO 725, SC, 700, Reg 650.. or in otherwords they probably have a 15% roof on the potential as to what they will classify the card as..
(and that is what your potential overclock would be)..

so i'd bet that they each will overclock to within 15-20% of their stock clock..

just a theory but i bet i'm not far off..

2000MHz memory OC is easy with this card BUT the overclock won't hold long term.

The memory is actually 2GHz, but the interface can't handle the speed for long periods. This has been tested by Nvidia, their OEM's and some partners over several weeks. The card will run like a bat out of hell for a while and then suffers irrepairable damage.

Just look at XFX. These guys overclock anything regardless of yield (I guess they don't take the overhead of support into account when they sell stuff) and they're only at 1950MHz on their highest OC card (Alpha Dog).

I would only crank the memory up to 2GHz plus to get a killer benchmark and then crank it back down to 1900~1950MHz for day to day use.

2000MHz memory OC is easy with this card BUT the overclock won't hold long term.

The memory is actually 2GHz, but the interface can't handle the speed for long periods. This has been tested by Nvidia, their OEM's and some partners over several weeks. The card will run like a bat out of hell for a while and then suffers irrepairable damage.

Just look at XFX. These guys overclock anything regardless of yield (I guess they don't take the overhead of support into account when they sell stuff) and they're only at 1950MHz on their highest OC card (Alpha Dog).

I would only crank the memory up to 2GHz plus to get a killer benchmark and then crank it back down to 1900~1950MHz for day to day use.

Oof... interesting info. What would you say once vRAM/vGPU mods are applied such as seen here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163929 , particularly the vRAM one? Also, eVGA offers a stock-clock card at 700/2000, are you sure 2000 is not safe for it? (I half hesitate to even ask the second question, knowing your knowledge level :) ).

Oof... interesting info. What would you say once vRAM/vGPU mods are applied such as seen here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163929 , particularly the vRAM one? Also, eVGA offers a stock-clock card at 700/2000, are you sure 2000 is not safe for it? (I half hesitate to even ask the second question, knowing your knowledge level :) ).

What he said JonnyG, especially the last part. :)

Here's a link to the EVGA we're referring to: http://evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=512-P3-N806-A1

Also as long as I have your ear. Thanks for all the hard work you put into JonnyGuru.com and making it the best hand's-down, kick-ass, review/info site on the Net for Power Supplies.

I am WELL AWARE of the Evga card.

And I'm sticking with what I've said. I'm quite confident Evga is going to see A LOT of returns. ;)

Thanks, that's what I thought you were going to say. The EVGA bean-counters probably crunched some numbers and said what the hell. At least I hope they did fro their sake. Guess I'll leave my SC as it is (1900 Mhz) when it arrives today. How about OC'ing the core though to 700 Mhz. or higher, is this also a death sentence like the memory.

No... 700 MHz core is totally doable AFAIK.

700 on an old gts? I got 650, but games froze sometime so I just left it stock. Few things im wondering, what do you have to do to volt mod this sob, and I wonder how much you can get out of a card thats already superclocked? Gotta remember this is smaller die, so if you volt mod temps should still be reasonable. Just saw that thermalright came out with an aftermarket hsf for this card anyways, would prolly be a wise investment.

No... 700 MHz core is totally doable AFAIK.

:)

I am WELL AWARE of the Evga card.

And I'm sticking with what I've said. I'm quite confident Evga is going to see A LOT of returns. ;)

Mmmmm... I had a feeling you'd say that, too :). Warning taken! I'll overclock the %*@& outta my core and vmod it, but the RAM's staying at its "stock" KO overclock of 1950 on my cards (eVGA)!

I am in the process of see just how far I can push my 8800 GT xfx card and so far I found about 730-740 is about as much as the core can handle before it starts to artifact. I haven't found where the sweet spot for the core is but this card will max out its core at 756 and won't go any higher. I have to determine if this is a voltage situation or if its an actual limit to the GPU core.

You can read some of what I've found out about this card here.. *shameless plug*
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/3113-review-xfx-8800-gt-512mb-alpha-dog.html

I am in the process of see just how far I can push my 8800 GT xfx card and so far I found about 730-740 is about as much as the core can handle before it starts to artifact. I haven't found where the sweet spot for the core is but this card will max out its core at 756 and won't go any higher. I have to determine if this is a voltage situation or if its an actual limit to the GPU core.

You can read some of what I've found out about this card here.. *shameless plug*
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/3113-review-xfx-8800-gt-512mb-alpha-dog.html

I saw someone who got up to 770ish with aftermarket air cooling but was volt-limited, had temps of 45-50ish load celsius, so my guess is they will go sky-high with proper cooling and a voltmod.

I saw someone who got up to 770ish with aftermarket air cooling but was volt-limited, had temps of 45-50ish load celsius, so my guess is they will go sky-high with proper cooling and a voltmod.

Well according to a thread on here someone has found using Nibitor that you maybe able to volt mod the xfx cards so later tonite I may look into that and see what happens.

My findings showed anything after 735 was automatically 756 which I find slightly odd there would be a 20mhz dead zone in the core.

My Gainward 8800GT on 100% fan speed max stable was 680/1700/950 anything above that was giving my artifacts. The card is sold now :/

From what jonny said, I will probably stay in a safe range of 1900-1950 like he said for everyday use. Then up the core a good bit.

What would be the FPS different of 50mhz on the memory anyway? Not much I would imagine.

Good info here, I think I will shoot for 675-680 core, and no more than 1950 memory...."safe".

I'm holding out for a water block for a 700+ core, but the memory is staying in the 1900~1950 hood.

Will an hr-03 fit on the 8800gt? If not, what is the next best thing to slap on there instead of the stock heatsink?

Well according to a thread on here someone has found using Nibitor that you maybe able to volt mod the xfx cards so later tonite I may look into that and see what happens.

My findings showed anything after 735 was automatically 756 which I find slightly odd there would be a 20mhz dead zone in the core.

I was the person posting about that, and unfortunately it is just 2d vs. 3d voltage, nothing more.

I have my 8800gts doing 690/1750/1060 all day. I hope my 8800gt overclocks at the same percentage.

Um... I'm calling "Shens" on the claim that 1000mhz will burn the bus out.

It doesn't make sense (to me at least) that a part that can handle 750-900+ mhz regularly suddenly burns out at 1000mhz...

Anyone able to offer any more info/proof?

Yeah I'm really unsure on what cooling solution to go with...

Zalman VF900-Cu (it's inexpensive)
Thermalright HR-03 REV.A ($15-20 more expensive than Zalman if you include price of fan)
Thermalright V2 ($5-10 more expensive than Zalman if you include price of fan)
Thermalright HR-03 GT (is it worth waiting for these to come out? will we actually see a difference?)

Are the Thermalrights worth the increase in price vs. the increase in performance they offer? If so, which fan is a good choice to go with? (V2 is 80mm and HR-03 uses a 92mm)

Yeah I'm really unsure on what cooling solution to go with...

Zalman VF900-Cu (it's inexpensive)
Thermalright HR-03 REV.A ($15-20 more expensive than Zalman if you include price of fan)
Thermalright V2 ($5-10 more expensive than Zalman if you include price of fan)
Thermalright HR-03 GT (is it worth waiting for these to come out? will we actually see a difference?)

Are the Thermalrights worth the increase in price vs. the increase in performance they offer? If so, which fan is a good choice to go with? (V2 is 80mm and HR-03 uses a 92mm)

Personally, I'm waiting.

1) I am able to now easily hit 730/1800/1000 on my Evga.
2) It is under warranty even with the OC (as far as I know)
3) Load temps are about 70C in my ACed room.

4) I figure I can live with these results until the market shakes out a bit

Personally, I'm waiting.

1) I am able to now easily hit 730/1800/1000 on my Evga.
2) It is under warranty even with the OC (as far as I know)
3) Load temps are about 70C in my ACed room.

4) I figure I can live with these results until the market shakes out a bit

Thanks for the response.

1) Which version did you start off with?
2) Yes it is, but do you want it heating up your case? :)
3) ACed room? I'm afraid I'm unlucky here in Michigan, we are cranking the heat. :)

Are you running your stock cooler on auto or did you manually set the fan speed, if so what is it set at? Also, how loud does it get (this is a concern for me as I am trying to quiet my PC).

1) started with a Evga Superclock (650)
2) Case is very cool. It is an Enermax Chakra with 240mm fan and other 120mm fans
3) stock cooler set at around 50%, it is somewhat loud yes.

I am going to get an aftermarket soon.. but not this week.

Back