Q6600 Wall Was hit.

Ste

Gawd
I hope this is enough information for you to help me with this awefull problem.

Anyways, I have hit a wall, any settings no matter what they are, Above 2.97 ish Ghz either will not even boot into windows or it will cause random Blue screens.
I have tried everything. Every single Vcore setting from defualt all the way up to 1.5 Volts.
And nothing will work. I basicaly think its my motherboard that is limiting this overclock.

The screen shot you see above is the current and only SMP folding stable settings..
The settings I have set through the CMOS are.
Clock: (333X9) 2.97 Ghz
Vcore: 1.2675
MCH Voltage: + .1
RAM Voltage: + .1
FSB Voltage: + .1
RAM to FSB: One : One
Timmings: 4-4-4-12

So, basically a replacement motherboard will be some type of P35 version?

Suggestions..?

RAM : FSB 1:1?

So your DDR2 800 is running at 1333?

I guess there is your problem if so.

Let me ask you a question. :D
What is 330 X 2.

That is the speed my RAM is running.
Last time I checked, least for my motherboard, the speed of the RAM is twice the frequency...(Before muiltplier is applied).
And my CMOS confirms this.

Actually, its two : two, but thats the same thing as one to one..

check to see what the maximum allowable voltage is for your memory, then set it to that. then try loosening your timings to 5-5-5-15

check to see what the maximum allowable voltage is for your memory, then set it to that. then try loosening your timings to 5-5-5-15

Why do you say that? My Ram is underclocked right now, and it will continue to be until I set the speed to 400X9

And I highly doubt I will be able to.

But Ill do it anyways... Just wondering what your reasoning is.

According to Newegg the max Voltage for my RAM should be 2.1 Volts and its 1.9 atm, at least according to Everest.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231065

I will try what you said and try to boot and SMP fold at 3.05 Ghz.
So I will set my RAM voltage to +.3

testing the following settings now.
334X9
Vcore: Same as before
Timming 5-5-5-15
RAM Voltage: + .3 Volts

If you drop the multiplier can you bump up the FSB? That's the easiest way to see if you hit an FSB wall or the CPU is at max OC.

My G0 will do 3.8 GHz stable on air with stock voltage (AUTO).

Forgot to mention, I thought I hit a "wall" once but my motherboard didn't like an FSB range of about 25 MHz. Going BEYOND that worked for me.

If you drop the multiplier can you bump up the FSB? That's the easiest way to see if you hit an FSB wall or the CPU is at max OC.

My G0 will do 3.8 GHz stable on air with stock voltage (AUTO).

Before I flashed my BIOS to F12, when it was F10, I tried that.

I set Multi to 8 and and tried for a 3.2 Ghz or 3.4 Ghz clock.

And things were screwed up, Coretemp only registered one core and it said the speed was like 3.65 Ghz or somethign werid like that. SMP Folding only said there was one core as well and it would not fold. I never tested that setting cause SMP Folding would not run. And the screwed up reading's from coretemp and CPU scared me, so I just put the mulit back at 9.

But not that I have flashed my BIOS I will try a multi of 8 if these settings fail.

Forgot to mention, I thought I hit a "wall" once but my motherboard didn't like an FSB range of about 25 MHz. Going BEYOND that worked for me.
I originally tried many clocks at many different Vcore settings, they all failed above 3 Ghz.
Everything depends now If I can be SMP stable at 3 GHz then I will go from there.

If history repeats itself, and I fear it will, I will know if these settings are unstable within the next two hours.

I'm saying to try and OC your FSB > 1320 MHz (your current "max) with your CPU < 2.9 GHz (your current "max) and see if you indeed hit an FSB wall.

An example would be 350x8.

Yep those settings would not even boot into windows, restarted at load screen.
The settings where.
8X350
RAM Voltage: + .3
MCH and FSB Voltage: + .1
Timmings: 5-5-5-15

Im going back to testing 9X334

How much do you think it would help if I put the FSB Voltage at like, + .2 or +.3?
And I lost the WU..

If it would help, would you want me to post a picture of my BIOS screen options..?

Yep those settings would not even boot into windows, restarted at load screen.
The settings where.
8X350
RAM Voltage: + .3
MCH and FSB Voltage: + .1
Timmings: 5-5-5-15

Im going back to testing 9X334

Settings not stable

Up the CPU Voltage. 1.26?? No wonder your at a wall, up that and it'll go further. Mines greedy and east 1.525 for 3.3GHz, id say 3GHz with 1.26 is very nice, compared to mine atleast.

No, I already said that I tried every single voltage notch from defualt vcore all the way up to 1.5 Volt.

Im gonna try something drastic.
3.4 GHz
1.3 Vcore
+ .3 RAM
+ .3 FSB.

Are you kidding!

MY RAM IS UNDERCLOCKED currently.

Its DDR2 800, WHICH MEANS, on my board, the RAM speed is twice that of the speed I set in CMOS. That means If I set 400X9 as the clock the RAM speed will be running what I bought it to run, which is 800 Mhz, But, the speed now is 330X9, therefore the RAM speed is 660 Mhz.
660<800. Therefore I am underclocking my RAM Atm...

Motherboard suggestions needed...
Look, right there is a picture of the settings, the system memory Multiplier is 2. And you can see right next to the current RAM, the speed that the RAM was designed to run..

I know your trying to help, and I am thankful for that, BUT I don't know where some of you are getting the idea that I am OCing my RAM too far....

My son has a DS3 Rev 3.3 mobo that won't OC for crap over 333 bus versus my DS3 Rev 1.0 which will go up to 450MHz bus, with the SAME CPU. Given everything you've already tried, I'd be thinking a new motherboard.

haha I can't believe people keep trying to tell you your ram is running too fast :rolleyes:

Perhaps you just have a godawful bad chip. It's indicative of how well these things overclock that we are all stunned you can't get over 3ghz :eek:

Take VCore to 1.4 or 1.45.......the chip can handle it.
I have mine at 1.4 and clocked to 3.1Ghz, under air it was a tad hot, so I WC mine and at max load it runs 39Cx4 cores.

haha I can't believe people keep trying to tell you your ram is running too fast :rolleyes:

Yea.... Sorry about that, I just always thought that, that was 1 to 1. Least thats the way I always heard it said... :(

Take VCore to 1.4 or 1.45.......the chip can handle it.
I have mine at 1.4 and clocked to 3.1Ghz, under air it was a tad hot, so I WC mine and at max load it runs 39Cx4 cores.

I am not afraid to give any chips Vcore, I already tried that.
I tried the following clocks at EVERY single Voltage notch from defualt to 1.5 Volts
3.2 Ghz
3.4 Ghz
3.6 Ghz

Thats right, every single voltage notch from defualt to 1.5, and NONE of them would boot into windows. It would just restart at load screen.

So, yea, we all agree for the most part that I need a new motherboard. BUt WHICH one. There are so many choices. Here are some that I have already heard about.
x38
p5k deluxe (Had this one reccomended like five times)
975x
IP-35 pro

So more reccomendations or opinions? Time and money is not a problem for me, I just want the best possible board, I am sick of disapointments..

Are you kidding!

MY RAM IS UNDERCLOCKED currently.

Its DDR2 800, WHICH MEANS, on my board, the RAM speed is twice that of the speed I set in CMOS. That means If I set 400X9 as the clock the RAM speed will be running what I bought it to run, which is 800 Mhz, But, the speed now is 330X9, therefore the RAM speed is 660 Mhz.
660<800. Therefore I am underclocking my RAM Atm...

I know your trying to help, and I am thankful for that, BUT I don't know where some of you are getting the idea that I am OCing my RAM too far....

I believe the other guy was right... you're running your memory at too high a speed. DDR2 800 actually means that the memory was meant to run at 400MHz not 800MHz, because the first D in DDR means "double" data rate, so that 2x400MHz = 800 MHz effective, not actual. Look at your System Memory Multiplier on your BIOS screen. It's currently set to 2.0. That means it is multiplying your current FSB at 332MHz by 2 so your RAM is currently running at 664MHz. 664 > 400 which means your RAM is OVERclocked, not UNDER.

EVEN IF that is so, it can't be helped.
There is no RATIO lower than 2 in my CMOS.

My CMOS is still showing me thats its underclocked, if you had looked at this picture.

660<800.
It is shown.

IF your right, than what would you suggest. There is NO ratio in my CMOS lower than 2. Every other choice I have is greater than 2 under my system memory multiplier..

I believe the other guy was right... you're running your memory at too high a speed. DDR2 800 actually means that the memory was meant to run at 400MHz not 800MHz, because the first D in DDR means "double" data rate, so that 2x400MHz = 800 MHz effective, not actual. Look at your System Memory Multiplier on your BIOS screen. It's currently set to 2.0. That means it is multiplying your current FSB at 332MHz by 2 so your RAM is currently running at 664MHz. 664 > 400 which means your RAM is OVERclocked, not UNDER.

No... it's a gigabyte thing. 2.00 is the lowest memory multiplier. You see the "800" under SPD? It is listing the effective, not the actual, speed.

Ya, thats what I thought, because by his own logic, (or lack there of), If I was running the CPU at stock, my memory would still be overclocked. (266X2)> 400

Which is Bull...

Ok, it does look like you are hitting a FSB wall on the mobo. The q6600's are almost ALWAYS capable of more than what you are getting, and you are correct about your ram. Just like mine. I might be OC'ing my Q6700 to 300 mhz, but that's with my 800mhz (capable) ram running at 600 mhz (way UC'd).
If possible, if you have any C2Q capable mobo's around, I would test it out to make sure you didn't just get a bum CPU. Otherwise, i would HIGHLY recommend my Asus P5B series. You don't need P35 or X38 (the Q6600 would never be able to reach fsb ratings to take advantage of the DDR3, as youa re seeing it barely uses the DDR2 capabilities). Check out the [H] review of the P5B Deluxe. And they should be relatively cheap. I have always been a fan of the P965 chipset.

Unfortunatly I have no other motherboard around to test...

But I will look at the P5BD.

I can't seem to find the P5B Deluxe On newegg..

Ill check Clubit and zipzoomfly.

No it is not. In Gigabyte speak, 2.0 RAM divider is the same as this 1:1 ratio everyone speaks of. His RAM speed is 332MHz actual and 664MHz effective, which is less than 800MHz effective his RAM is rated to. If what you RAM is overclocked guys is saying was true, my RAM at 390 bus on the same gigabyte 2.0 RAM divider would be running nearly double its specced speed - I don't think so!

If anyone STILL disputes this, get the OP to post a screenie of the RAM tab on CPU-Z, which will nicely show 332MHz.

the ds3 doesn't really like running ram except directly at stock speeds. Have you tried running it at 400fsb and then dropping the multiplier to 6. And + .3 on the fsb is not extreme btw. There is nothing wrong with the ds3 boards, they are just a bit finicky. I can't underclock my ram without it throwing errors, and I can only oc it about 25mhz.

Ok, here is how it works on my Abit IP35 Pro

400FSB with ram at 1:1 would be 1600MHZ on the memory. It's FSBx4 not FSBx2 that decides what the ram speed is.

333FSB would be roughly 1333MHZ on the ram
225FSB would yield 1000 on the mem.

I think that's how all DDR2 works...

But what the hell do I know, I can't get my Q6600 much past 3GHZ stable either :(

That is NOT how ddr2 memory works. it works exactly the same as ddr1 memory which multiplies the system clock x 2. Stop saying that!

This is how current intel systems are:

400x2 = 800MHz = memory speed
400x4 = 1600Mhz = fsb speed
400x8 = 3.2GHz = cpu speed

Sorry, hehe :)

All I do know is that the BIOS in the IP35 Pro is like "bios for dummies" cause it tells you exactly what the effective memory speed is going to be at each divider setting.

Like I said though, wth do I know, I have the same problem the OP has as far as overclocking this chip is concerned.

I will be buying this one if noone else has a suggestion.
ABIT IP35 Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030

I don't want to hit another wall, so please make your reccomendations known.
I will be super pissed, and I will not be buying another motherboard if this does not work out..
I will not be buying until I am absolutely sure the one I chose is the right choice.
The more opinions the better!

Oh, and, why does everyone keep saying OP and wth does it mean. I have never heard OP said anywhere but in this thread. Refering to me or what?? Uber confused..:confused:

Oh, and, why does everyone keep saying OP and wth does it mean. I have never heard OP said anywhere but in this thread. Refering to me or what?? Uber confused..:confused:

OP means "Original Poster" so in this case, yes, it does mean you :)

Back