$1800 CRT

SHiZNiLTi

Gawd
I just picked up two of the best CRT's ever made!!!

They are Sony GDM-F500R FD Trinitron's. The 22mm dot pitch is freaking amazing. I've never seen image quality this good before.

They retailed for $1800 each a few years ago. Nowadays there's a few on ebay going for about $1000 each...

ebay link

I got the hookup on them, this kid works at an architectural design company and they had these laying around. He took a couple from storage and gave them to me for ONLY $60.

COD4 is incrediable now, I'm playing with a 170hz refresh rate and it's ultra smooth. It's crazy how fluid the gameplay is....

cod4refreshbq8.jpg

Here's my 3840x1080 wallpaper, click to enlarge...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hah and here i was thinking i got a good deal when i bought a couple used P1130's for $60 last weekend. :p

You are one very lucky dude, i can only imagine how good those F500's look.

Heh, I see you already got to testing the image quality on the pron...I suppose the 22 mm dot pitch makes it look better right?;)

I love CRTs but they are so big and bulky. Great CRT though you have. Why do you play CoD4 at such a low resolution?

wow. 1G is not worth it imo. 60$ on the other hand, total steal, awesome.

id rather buy a used GDM-FW900 for 300$ then that at 1G, which i did 1 year ago. still totally in love with it. great IQ. smokes LCDs.

I love CRTs but they are so big and bulky. Great CRT though you have. Why do you play CoD4 at such a low resolution?
I can play at high resolutions, but I like to be above 150fps.
I may play 1600x1200 cg_fov 80 @ 100hz for a while and see how I like it.

I've got this 6 foot table, I added a 4"x4" support beam in the middle...
This is my old P1110 monitor, I'll take a new pic of the Sony GDM-F500R's soon when I bring a camera home from work....

oldsetupna5.jpg

I have one of those monitors, and a viewsonic p220f b. Love them both. Only 3 areas I find lcds better than high end crts like them. Text clarity/geometry, physical size and weight.
I had to stain a piece of half inch plywood 16" larger front to back than the original desktop, and put it over the top of my, newer, obviously had lcds in mind, piece of flimsy crap desk, to have enough real estate for one of them. I have not had to reinforce or otherwise modify the desk thankfully.

Wow, that's an incredible deal! And who says CRTs are dead? lol....I'd take that over most LCDs any day of the week.

How does it compare to the P1110? I have a P1110 as well and I love the thing....best monitor I've had the pleasure of using, particularly for gaming.

I thought about the .22 F series when I bought my NIB G series a couple of years ago.

What I read about the F's reliability made me think again. Might actually do better for the money with a refurbed F, seriously. NIB gets you a manufacturer's warranty, but you'll get a refurb back if something breaks.

I still have mine at my dads. It is really really an excellent screen. Never seen a picture like it.

But unfortunatly way too bulky for my small apartment. They are really huge :)

I swear my XHD3000 is destroying my Kill : Death ratio in CoD4. I really should get my 19" CRT out of storage and use that. Nothing beats CRT when it comes to gaming. But my flimsy desk could never support a CRT right now. I swear I wouldn't be surprised if I woke up one morning to see it cracked in half with $3000+ worth of electronics smashed up.

Nice setup you got. Enjoy!

imma send you a friend request on myspace, you live kinda near by. Also that doesnt look like a 330i.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1031965305 said:
Here's my 3840x1080 wallpaper, click to enlarge...

Cool setup - the question is what vid is playing in winamp on the far right?

From the looks of it, it stars Nikki Nova, Krystal Steal and some other blond ditz.

I think they have one of these in a near by used computer shop....I was in there the other day and they wanted $110 for it. Soooo would it be worth it?

Looks like someone likes Krystal Steal... Saw a forum Avatar of her butt in white pants.

I swear my XHD3000 is destroying my Kill : Death ratio in CoD4. I really should get my 19" CRT out of storage and use that. Nothing beats CRT when it comes to gaming. But my flimsy desk could never support a CRT right now. I swear I wouldn't be surprised if I woke up one morning to see it cracked in half with $3000+ worth of electronics smashed up.

Nice setup you got. Enjoy!

lol, I know for certain my 30" did, it is a great experience playing but has definitely taken a while to get used to. I am getting better on this display however but I agree, its very difficult. I think its just the mere size and having to look around instead of everything being right there.

I used to have one of those Sony's. Retired it a few months ago. I think my 7 year old was the only kid on the block with a 24" CRT. ;)

That's a great resolution; crisp and sharp. Not sure if I would really use crt nowadays though.

To the OP:

At that price get a couple more as spares. Despite the top price tag, the FD Trinitron tubes suffer failures. Get them (spares) while you can.

I have two GDM-F520s, which replaced two GDM-F400s (bought new - back in the good old days before the bubble burst) which both suffered unrepairable (according to Sony themselves) failures a month before warranty expiry. One of the F520s has developed a less serious looking problem which causes the displayed image to collapse and glitch on a semi-regular basis. For what it is worth, the -F400 and original -F500 were a much higher end construction but the image on the -F520 blows them away.

For $60 a pop I would get two more.

On one hand, I would love a 30 inch panel or a 2690WUXi. On the other, someone might need to pull the CRTs from my cold, dead hands. Particularly since I do a bunch of colour-calibrated photo work. I will be all over any FW900s or F520s I may ever stumble across locally.

Back