9600gt vs 7900gt

mr saturn

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade to a 9600gt but I'm wondering if it'll really be worth it. I have an Opteron 165 oc'd to 2.5ghz, 2 gigs ram, on a dfi lanparty ultra-d. My monitors run at 1680x1050, but I only use one to game.

I'm looking to play Crysis at playable rates, and just see an overall improvement in the games I play day-to-day (Cod4, source games although they already run well, overlord, gears of war).

I can find the evga 9600gt locally for $190, the 8800gt is $240.

Thanks for any advice!

According to this, the G94 based 9600GT is very fast. On par or a bit slower than a HD3870X2 in Crysis and probably leagues ahead of your 7900GT.

The 9600GT is definitely a leap forward, but if you've got the cash, the 8800GT isn't a bad idea either.

Do you live in the US? Are you buying an Evga because of the step up program? if you dont think you will use the step up program then you can buy the MSI 8800GT on newegg that goes for 200 right now

Thanks for the replies! I am in Canada, so Newegg isn't available here. Plus I like getting this stuff locally, that way if it doesn't work I can get a new one asap.

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade to a 9600gt but I'm wondering if it'll really be worth it. I have an Opteron 165 oc'd to 2.5ghz, 2 gigs ram, on a dfi lanparty ultra-d. My monitors run at 1680x1050, but I only use one to game.

I'm looking to play Crysis at playable rates, and just see an overall improvement in the games I play day-to-day (Cod4, source games although they already run well, overlord, gears of war).

I can find the evga 9600gt locally for $190, the 8800gt is $240.

Thanks for any advice!

It's night and day going from a 7900 GT, to either a 9600 GT and 8800 GT, Performance should double and in some cases, triple.
If you have a hard time getting a 8800 GT, definitely grab the 9600 GT, But if you can get a good deal on a 8800 GT, don't hesitate, because out of the two, the 8800 GT is the better card.

Okay, I picked it up and it certainly is nice, but I have a couple more questions.

When I run 3Dmark06, it crashes randomly every time. Every other game I've tried works great, so on a hunch I disabled my second monitor and sure enough it worked! I can't tell which DVI port is primary, is there even any difference?

Also, it scored 8727 at 1280x1024 with no aa. My processor seems ot be the limiting factor here at 2.5ghz. Would a processor upgrade be the next logical upgrade for my setup?

Thanks!

I'm in Canada also, specifically which card did you end up purchasing and from where? TIA.

Okay, I picked it up and it certainly is nice, but I have a couple more questions.

When I run 3Dmark06, it crashes randomly every time. Every other game I've tried works great, so on a hunch I disabled my second monitor and sure enough it worked! I can't tell which DVI port is primary, is there even any difference?

Also, it scored 8727 at 1280x1024 with no aa. My processor seems ot be the limiting factor here at 2.5ghz. Would a processor upgrade be the next logical upgrade for my setup?

Thanks!

that's an unbelievably high score for a 7900GT. i have a similar set up to you, x2 3800+ @ 2.8ghz, 2GB ram, evga 7900GT KO, and i scored around 5500 in 06.

that's an unbelievably high score for a 7900GT. i have a similar set up to you, x2 3800+ @ 2.8ghz, 2GB ram, evga 7900GT KO, and i scored around 5500 in 06.

Thats because it was scored with a 9600GT - helps to read the thread so when someone says "I picked it up" you know what "it" they just got ;)

Thats because it was scored with a 9600GT - helps to read the thread so when someone says "I picked it up" you know what "it" they just got ;)

oh... my bad i didnt read it correctly.

BTW I did score 9526 with my friend's galaxy 8800GT. My cpu was definetly limiting the card, he scored around 13k with his core2duo e8400.

Yeah I am definitely cpu limited here.. Not only that, the thing was overheating really bad, causing 3dmark to crash and making me think the card was defective. Rather, it's just pushing my opteron OC really really hard. Time to turn the fans up and look at a core duo...

By the way, I got 8940 in 3dmark after I stabilized the beast a bit. So much better than my 7900 :D

Back