LG W2252TQ

Bocephus

n00b
Just picked one up yesterday.

Before I give my impressions, I have to say this is first LCD on my main system. I have a 19" Acer on my wife's PC, so I have limited comparisons and certainly am not qualified to give a "proper" review.

First of all, LG finally decided to include a DVI cable, so that was a nice surprise.

Colours seem good, there looks to be a 'slight' blue bias, but I'm still calibrating so I may be able to to tune that out. I haven't seen any color banding yet, and the backlight bleed seems very minimal, maybe 1/8 inch top and bottom. I played some TF2 and COD4 last night, and didn't see a single tear or delay, and they both looked fantastic, MUCH better than on my 19" Samsung CRT.

So far, I'm extremely happy with the panel, especially given it got it on sale. For games, it's absolutely perfect for me. For general use, It's good so far, hopefully with some tuning it can be very good or excellent. Text is extremely sharp, it's just a matter of getting to a good contrast/brightness ratio and getting the colors nailed down.

In terms of subjective stuff like appearance, I love it, it matches my Stacker case and G5 mouse really well. Trivial, I know, but I love the look of it.

What kind of information would help you folks out? Screenshots? Test patterns? Let me know and I'll be happy to do what I can so people can make an informed decision.

where did you get it on sale??? and please post some pictures, thanks.

Got it @ Futureshop in Abbotsford, BC Canada for 279, it just dropped to 269.

What kind of pictures would help? I'm assuming a dark screen for backlight, anything else?

I saw this for sale at Best Buy. I think it is a higher end version of the L227WTG. It seems to have 1:1 pixel mapping which is nice.

What about backlight bleeding?
Pictures would be nice. It's currently on sale at Futureshop in Canada for 269$CAD along with the Samsung 2253BW.

I just picked up the LG W2252TQ at Best buy. Yes there is a very slight blue bias. As far as backlight bleed goes it is very minimal. With a black screen I can see a tiny bit of light at the bottom and top. It is extremely minimal and I can't see it at all if the screen isn't black (even when I have a full black screen I have to really look to see it). I played some WoW on it, dragged windows around etc. and have seen no ghosting or trailing and it seems very quick to this novice. For a TN the viewing angles are really good. I didn't want a TN because I often slump and change position but the colors and contrast don't change nearly as drastically as other TN's I have seen, and it takes a larger angle to make them shift.

No 1:1 pixel mapping that I can find, but it has a feature to display 4:3 content properly, with black bars on each side.

There are some frivolous features under the "fun" menu (yes, it's actually a button labeled fun). Stuff like zooming, 4:3 and picture effects (sepia, b&w). I'll fire up the camera and try to get some decent shots.

I don't know if this is characteristic of all TN's, but the monitor is extremely sensitive to vertical positioning. I moved mine up 2.5 inches and it's like a new screen. For setting gamma on those vertical, 3 color bars, just slouching moves the 'focus' point up considerably.

Still very happy with it, but it's going to be a while to get all the settings just right, and the thought of wall mounting just became a whole lot more precise.

Oh, I also notice some banding on black to white gradient patterns, nothing horrible but it's there.

LG makes a great product. I have the LG L226WTY-BF and after calibrating it it could be the nicest LCD I have seen to date.

I just ordered this for $269.99 to test it out. I want a fast 22" for gaming, as right now my dual 24" setup is just too obtrusive on desk space.

I'll let you know what I think. Typically I buy S-IPS and VA monitors so I'll try and describe the viewing angles as accurately as possible, and maybe take some photos.

10e

i think people over exaggerate the minuses of TN panels. They are not that bad and more companies are using TN panels over anything else

As always the technology improves, and in the case of TN they have made some inroads with relation to color coverage (from 6-bit to 6-bit+HiFRC to eliminate dithering) and viewing angles.

But I still believe that for 24" and greater sizes, TN is still not quite where it should be. This is based on my (mostly) good experiences with a BenQ G2400W, which has good viewing angles for a TN, but still takes some work to find the perfect viewing angle and avoid color shifts. Alternatively, TN panels have slightly better horizontal viewing angles than most VA type panels.

But for gamers' panels TN is where it's at, and most M-VA and S-IPS panels aren't quite there when it comes to blur and ghost management.

Though my opinion is that most companies are doing TN because of lower costs and cost pressures (ie. demand for cheaper 24" and larger).

Regards,

10e

After looking

i think people over exaggerate the minuses of TN panels. They are not that bad and more companies are using TN panels over anything else

A quick follow-up question as to this "4:3" feature on this monitor.

I understand that it will correctly put the black bars on the sides for smaller resolutions, but what about black bars on the top & bottom ? (Like when setting the resolution to something like 800x600, for example.)

Does anyone know the difference between the W2252TQ and W2252S? The only difference I can see is that the W2252S is £20 cheaper.

Does anyone know the difference between the W2252TQ and W2252S? The only difference I can see is that the W2252S is £20 cheaper.

The LG W2252S have a 5ms panel, the W2252TQ have an overdrive 2ms panel.

Does anyone know whether the overdrive on the TQ models can be turn off ? Thanks.

According to the manual it can. It's known as RTC (response time compensation) and is something you can toggle on/off from the OSD.

Regards,

10e

According to the manual it can. It's known as RTC (response time compensation) and is something you can toggle on/off from the OSD.

I downloaded the manual from LG website and sure enough the rtc can be turn off. I have another question though. According to the manual , there is no adjustment for the dynamic contrast. Is this true ? I have never use a monitor with dynamic contrast before, but some people seem to find them annoying. It will be nice to have the ability to turn it off.

There is, but it's not very obvious. I think you put the F-Engine into User or Custom and it will turn it off. There is description of this in the manual.

Regards,

10e

I downloaded the manual from LG website and sure enough the rtc can be turn off. I have another question though. According to the manual , there is no adjustment for the dynamic contrast. Is this true ? I have never use a monitor with dynamic contrast before, but some people seem to find them annoying. It will be nice to have the ability to turn it off.

L227 would be a perfect monitor if it didnt have color banding, that review is stupid, dont believe it, that website does some stupid reviews.

I'm very interested in getting this monitor, but I have 2 questions:

1: Does it make any noise? I had to return my last monitor (Samsung 2253BW) due to a really annoying buzz coming from the back of the unit.

2: How is the backlight bleed? The Samsung had about a half inch of washed out color along the top and bottom of the screen, more obvious in the top/bottom right.

Thanks!

L227 would be a perfect monitor if it didnt have color banding, that review is stupid, dont believe it, that website does some stupid reviews.

And we are supposed to believe you instead ? :rolleyes:

I'm very interested in getting this monitor, but I have 2 questions:

1: Does it make any noise? I had to return my last monitor (Samsung 2253BW) due to a really annoying buzz coming from the back of the unit.

2: How is the backlight bleed? The Samsung had about a half inch of washed out color along the top and bottom of the screen, more obvious in the top/bottom right.

Thanks!

This usually depends on the individual unit you receive. If you read reviews on any particular LCD monitor mode on this foruml, you will get conflicting info. Some people will claim no backlight bleeding, while others will say its horrible. Its a good idea to buy from a brick & mortar store or online store with good return policy. By the way, I am also considering this monitor ;) .

Just picked one up at circuit city, no DVI cable included....I thought it was suppose to have one...anyone know of a good cheap dvi cable I dont wanna pay 50 or 60 bucks for 1.

Ok never had an LCD monitor before so somoene help me out please. I am assuming I have a bad monitor, when I first turned it on the color was TERRIBLE looked like I dunno 256 colors or something, tried installing the drivers and everything and it didnt change it, hooked it to another PC still same thing, after it was on for a while the image looks awesome. But if I unplug the power to the monitor or the VGA cable when I plug either back in it does the same thing again, for 15-30 min then the image looks good again, anyone know whats going on? Should I take this one back and exchange it?

Edit: Also just noticed the LG Fortemanager program will load for me, but I cant change any options or even see any options, when I click on the info tab it wont even show me the mode number etc.

Ok never had an LCD monitor before so somoene help me out please. I am assuming I have a bad monitor, when I first turned it on the color was TERRIBLE looked like I dunno 256 colors or something, tried installing the drivers and everything and it didnt change it, hooked it to another PC still same thing, after it was on for a while the image looks awesome. But if I unplug the power to the monitor or the VGA cable when I plug either back in it does the same thing again, for 15-30 min then the image looks good again, anyone know whats going on? Should I take this one back and exchange it?

Edit: Also just noticed the LG Fortemanager program will load for me, but I cant change any options or even see any options, when I click on the info tab it wont even show me the mode number etc.

did you set the native resolution in windows to match the lcd's native? it should be 1680x1050 and color depth should be on 32 bit. sometimes it gets reset to lower.

This happens even when I dont have a VGA or DVI plugged in and turn on the monitor,like the white LG logo that comes on the screen has all kinds of lines through it and is flickering, and once I plug VGA into it and turn on the computer its 15-30 min before it goes back to normal.

This happens even when I dont have a VGA or DVI plugged in and turn on the monitor,like the white LG logo that comes on the screen has all kinds of lines through it and is flickering, and once I plug VGA into it and turn on the computer its 15-30 min before it goes back to normal.
Looks like a faulty monitor to me,but try it though DVI and see if the problem persist.
Btw can samoe of the owners give me a list of the monitor`s supported resolutions and frequencies (Hz). You can chech it with everest going to Display. This is very important for me.
Thanks in advance.

The color banding issue worries me a bit. Could someone who owns a W2252TQ test it by setting the contrast at 70 and using this page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

Thank you.

Just bought my W2252TQ earlier today ... I tested your link (and the black test page too); I didn't get any color banding @ contrast 70.

Here's a review.

I got it at Circuit City for $295 (including tax; w/o tax it's $269.99). The only nitpick I have about it is that, as noted earlier, there is NO DVI cable included (only VGA), which is a bummer. Luckily I had an extra DVI cable in my toolbox.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars.

Looks like a faulty monitor to me,but try it though DVI and see if the problem persist.
Btw can samoe of the owners give me a list of the monitor`s supported resolutions and frequencies (Hz). You can chech it with everest going to Display. This is very important for me.
Thanks in advance.

Here's a link.

Well took it back today and got it exchanged for another. Works perfectly and this monitor looks really good to me, my first LCD so I dont have anything to compare it too, but compared to my old 17" crt this thing is just awesome.

The supported resolution list in the manual is not complete , that`s why i want someone, that actually owns w2252tq to check it. I have l226wtq which has the same resolutions listed in the manual, but i can actually use all but the native @ 75hz through DVI (16:10 resolutions too and they are not listed in the manual too).

Purchased the LG W2252TQ today at Best Buy. My main game is ArmA . The night maps have been hard until this monitor. What a great change! I finally see difference in colors at night which is a big difference from my old Samsung 940BW 500:1 monitor which just had ink dark splotches of black on night missions. Will post again as I totally examine this monitor before the 15 day return period is up but I'm liking my choice so far! The only thing that is a little worrie-some is the specs page listing DC 10,000:1 and SC 700:1 contrast ratio. I believe a 1000:1 static contrast ratio would suit me better but I'm not sure I trust the Samsung 2253BW which would be my next choice. Also just because Samsung lists the 1000:1 spec doesn't mean it's true so.........

Back