Mini-ITX Plexi Case

LiQuiD[EViL]

Limp Gawd
I was one of the people who quickly bought the Intel D201GLY2 as soon as I saw it. Super small mini-itx mobo w/ cpu for only $70. Then I spent countless hours trying to find a case for it. Every mini-itx case had something wrong with it and didn't really fit my needs. So I tried to make one out of plexi. I wanted room for 2 x 3.5" HDs, 1 x 2.5" laptop HD, and a PCI slot in as small a case as possible. There's a few flaws here and there but I think it actually turned out pretty well. Special thanks to my Dad who ended up doing most of the work. It's running Win2k3 as a DC, DNS, DHCP, media server. I'll eventually upgrade the HDs to wd 1tb green drives. This small low power server turned out better than I thought that I might grab a shuttle kpc next.

Front.jpg

FrontAngle.jpg

TopAngle.jpg

Right.jpg

BackAngle.jpg

Back.jpg

Left.jpg

Bottom.jpg

square rubber feet and rubber grommets for the hds

HDs.jpg

cramming all the wires

Mobo.jpg

Serial.jpg

routing serial cables and power for 2.5" hd

FrontVandal.jpg

it's hard to see from the pic but the blue ring light from the vandal switch looks cool

DVD.jpg

dvd for size comparision

Thats sweet, but why did you add a network card, it already has onboard?

It's a gigabit nic. Onboard is only 10/100. I've thought about adding a low profile Radeon 2400pro instead and make it a htpc but it's probably not powerful enough.

how do u get power to it?

Im new to mini itx and im interested in making like a mac mini thing.

Nice, im in the process of making a case myself, Im going to start a log sometime this week. But what you did is awsome. I love the plexi design.

Awesome job, very slick. Do you have any shots showing the power circuitry? You're using an external brick I guess?

nice
can you send me the dimensions of all parts
Sure. I'll post up the measurements and some pics of the pieces when I get a chance.

how do u get power to it?

Im new to mini itx and im interested in making like a mac mini thing.

Awesome job, very slick. Do you have any shots showing the power circuitry? You're using an external brick I guess?

The psu is a picopsu-120 http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-120-power-kit?sc=8&category=13
In one of the back pics you can see the connection for it under the serial port. It connects to a power brick like a laptop.

Nice, im in the process of making a case myself, Im going to start a log sometime this week. But what you did is awsome. I love the plexi design.

Thx. Can't wait to see yours.

Wow the corner cubes are a great way to connect the plexi panels. Did you buy those or cut them from thick plexi?

I really like this build, I think later this year I might have to do a similar project, and have it set up to do internet, word, etc. as well as have it be a file back up for my laptop, I live in a college dorm room so i need something a little bit smaller that my current system. I am just waiting for the dual core atom to come out to do it though.:D

Back