Snow Leopard Will Not Support PowerPCs

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Apple’s Snow Leopard will finally dump PowerPC support. While this has been rumored for awhile, confirmation came by the way of a screenshot of the system requirements from a developer copy of OS X Snow Leopard handed out at WWDC this week.

Developers received an early copy of Snow Leopard at WWDC this week. As this is an early developer version, requirements could change in the future, but the dropping of PowerPC support has been long rumored.

That doesn't make any sense. Two years ago, they were selling Quad G5s.
Classic was supported for 7 or 8 years, so it doesn't seem like they would just decide scratch off a large quantity of loyal mac users this time.

Now why can't Microsoft follow suit and drop x86 support for their next OS?

And open 1000 new customer support reps in India? Can't wait for the millions of people calling why their Microsoft Office 2003 doesn't work on their new OS.

Classic was supported for 7 or 8 years, so it doesn't seem like they would just decide scratch off a large quantity of loyal mac users this time.

It's probably part of a larger push to transition to 100% 64-bit Cocoa. I forsee Core Duo and Carbon getting dropped in 10.7 and it being 64-bit exclusive.

x86-64 is still x86. It's just an extension, widening the old 32-bit registers to 64-bit, adding 8 extra 64-bit registers and adding the opcodes to use those things. :p

x86-64 is still x86. It's just an extension, widening the old 32-bit registers to 64-bit, adding 8 extra 64-bit registers and adding the opcodes to use those things. :p

don't forget the expanded address bus and page tables :D

Apple has fucked over it's users for years. I don't see anything new here. It's just the next round of things to come. Their iPhone 2.0 move was quite brilliant at fucking people over too.

It's probably part of a larger push to transition to 100% 64-bit Cocoa. I forsee Core Duo and Carbon getting dropped in 10.7 and it being 64-bit exclusive.

Adobe is going to hate that. They're still dragging their feet getting Photoshop off of Carbon.

w1retap,

Perhaps you should do more research. This has been more or less debunked already. Of course, it doesn't stop people from having a knee jerk response to a rumor about an OS that is still deep in development.

In terms of the iPhone, how are they screwing people. Did you know that AT&T had to reveal to investors that they expect lower earnings entirely due to the iPhone obligations? They are upping the price for 3G, but did you know that Apple will now NOT get a cut of this? People who bought he original iPhone still have a great device that will do everything the 3G phone can, albeit with slower download speeds.

In terms of the new iPhone, Apple lowered its prices and stopped taking a cut of the monthly plans to try to reign in costs for customers. How terrible. :rolleyes:

a) On the computer aspect, it isn't only about the OS, it's about the whole culture, aftermarket, and brainwashing.

b) On the phone aspect, it isn't about money, it's about activation and plans.

I have never felt fucked by apple, except for maybe this OS. Then again, I haven't bought a computer in 3 years, and will be buying one this summer.

I have never felt fucked by apple, except for maybe this OS. Then again, I haven't bought a computer in 3 years, and will be buying one this summer.

I had my G4 tower for 5 years and G4 notebook for 4 1/2 years, the tower dumped for a Core 2 Duo iMac in November and the notebook dumped for a C2D Macbook Pro in March. Its fine for me considering that I went through three-and-a-half Windows PC builds, all involving new mobos, CPU, RAM, and video cards, in the same time period.

I suspect the dumping of old Macs isn't gonna kill that many people either considering how far away we'll be from the last PPC machines sold by the time Snow Leopard launches a year from now, and they'll still have 10.5 to work with if they really need to hang onto that gear.

b) On the phone aspect, it isn't about money, it's about activation and plans.

Wait, so now your negatives are that it needs to be activated at the store just like every other AT&T smartphone, while before this week it was the only one that didn't? Or is it that iPhones used to have the cheapest unlimited data plan that AT&T offered, and now they carry the same price plan for data since they are being subsidized just like every other AT&T smartphone?

So basically you hate the iPhone because it is being treated exactly the same as every other Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and Palm device that AT&T sells subscriptions for? Why aren't you railing against those?

Oh wait, the logo on the box, I forgot. :rolleyes: :p

Wait, so now your negatives are that it needs to be activated at the store just like every other AT&T smartphone, while before this week it was the only one that didn't? Or is it that iPhones used to have the cheapest unlimited data plan that AT&T offered, and now they carry the same price plan for data since they are being subsidized just like every other AT&T smartphone?

So basically you hate the iPhone because it is being treated exactly the same as every other Blackberry, Windows Mobile, and Palm device that AT&T sells subscriptions for? Why aren't you railing against those?

Oh wait, the logo on the box, I forgot. :rolleyes: :p
No. I can get any smartphone from AT&T anytime I want without a plan or activation fee for under $150, no rebates, no contracts, no bs. I got my Tilt for $150 out the door. I can choose any cell plan I want. I can choose the $19.99/month talk plan and add on the $29.99/mo unlimited data plan, or I can go with no data plan and just use Wi-Fi.

Unlimited nights and weekends, 500 weekday minutes, unlimited data = $50/mo, $150 for the phone, no contracts. (AT&T Premier)

This is apples way of sticking it to the consumer... and the consumer will continue to cheer for apple.

Many Mac users are just like Americans with cars: They will own them for just 2-3 years and trade it in for a newer model. Even if I had a PPC G4 or G5 right now, I'd still think that it would be time to upgrade to the Core 2 platform. Let's get up with the times folks!

Steve Jobs announced back before Leopard came out that Leopard would be the last Mac OS to support PPC. In fact, it was at the WWDC when they announced Leopard in the first place last year.

As for Windows... x86 as an instruction set isn't going anywhere. However, Microsoft would certainly benefit (again) by following in Apple's example: There needs to be 2 operating systems: Windows (for backwards compatibility), and then something completely new. Why something completely new? New versions of windows are like Frankenstein appendages sewn onto older Windows bodies. There is code in vista that is at least 15 years old. Explorer itself still isn't thread safe. Fixing these problems means breaking compatibility completely, or emulating the old versions at a performance hit.

You know, like OSX did until 10.5.

Because there are 99999999999999999999999999999999999 times more PC than there are Macs. It'll take an infinitely long time to phase out 32 bit.

They will take it up the rear and say its a good thing. Just like mac users always do.

And open 1000 new customer support reps in India? Can't wait for the millions of people calling why their Microsoft Office 2003 doesn't work on their new OS.

I think he/she means quit making a 32 bit version of the OS, not make old applications quit working.

Because there are 99999999999999999999999999999999999 times more PC than there are Macs. It'll take an infinitely long time to phase out 32 bit.

I suspect that most apps already run on X64 and I suspect virtualization (either OS or application) will take care of the rest.

IMO, the only problem with the current policy is that they're defaulting everyone to x32 and making them go out of their way to get x64. Hopefully they'll offer x64 at retail next time around (even though, I suspect, very few people actually buy a standalone OS/OS upgrade).

No. I can get any smartphone from AT&T anytime I want without a plan or activation fee for under $150, no rebates, no contracts, no bs. I got my Tilt for $150 out the door. I can choose any cell plan I want. I can choose the $19.99/month talk plan and add on the $29.99/mo unlimited data plan, or I can go with no data plan and just use Wi-Fi.

Unlimited nights and weekends, 500 weekday minutes, unlimited data = $50/mo, $150 for the phone, no contracts. (AT&T Premier)

I'm not going to argue that a contract doesn't suck, it does. That said, in the twelve years I've had cell phones I can't think of a single time when I wasn't bound by one. That doesn't stick out to me as something unique to pin on that phone.

Not being able to have an iPhone without a data plan I suppose might be considered a minus. That said, I wouldn't get one without an unlimited plan either way. Ever since I had my first smartphone I've always had a data plan since I browse the internet and email from them all the time. Personally, I can't knock on them for having data mandatory since that is such an integral part to any smartphone. I don't know anyone with a Blackberry (who pay more on top for BES, btw), Windows Mobile, or iPhone who doesn't have a data plan to go with it. IMO it is a non-argument, and if you can't afford data then just get a regular cell phone. I had one for ages until I could justify the extra cost.

Many Mac users are just like Americans with cars: They will own them for just 2-3 years and trade it in for a newer model. Even if I had a PPC G4 or G5 right now, I'd still think that it would be time to upgrade to the Core 2 platform. Let's get up with the times folks!

I'd agree with that. I have one of the original Core Duo MacBook Pros, and I'm planning on upgrading once the redesigns versions come out. Primarily because of the heat and battery issues I have on mine. The bottom of the case can hit 140ºF, and I'm lucky to get an hour of battery life. I'd love one of newer versions.

I'd agree with that. I have one of the original Core Duo MacBook Pros, and I'm planning on upgrading once the redesigns versions come out. Primarily because of the heat and battery issues I have on mine. The bottom of the case can hit 140ºF, and I'm lucky to get an hour of battery life. I'd love one of newer versions.

Yeah, the move to Penryns made a huge difference with heat and battery life. You can run them really hard, running something like COD4 or TF2, and the case surface temperature is totally fine now.

That said, while I don't remember how efficient the original Core Duos were with power, only one hour of battery life sounds awfully weird. My old G4 battery lasted around 3-4 hours after four years of use.

It wouldn't surprise me if something was a bit wonky with mine. Granted, it's not uncommon for me to leave it plugged in during the day while I'm in class, which I know reduces the battery life over time, but right now I'm averaging 45 minutes of usage during moderate tasking, which seems a little low. Any kind of graphics intensive work drops it pretty radically.

It wouldn't surprise me if something was a bit wonky with mine. Granted, it's not uncommon for me to leave it plugged in during the day while I'm in class, which I know reduces the battery life over time, but right now I'm averaging 45 minutes of usage during moderate tasking, which seems a little low. Any kind of graphics intensive work drops it pretty radically.

Yeah, your battery is definitely screwed.

Seems like a normal upgrade cycle to me. At most, I'd go out 4 years before I'd upgrade...though that's misleading, because I tend to upgrade h/w a bit at a time...cpu/MB here, more memory there, change out the Video card. I've come close to buying a new CPU to replace my e4300...but now I think I'll wait till Nehalem......or until I build a server ;)

Back