Nvidia Forceware 177.39 + PhysX driver mirror for [H]

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
As some of you may have heard a certain set of drivers have made their way onto the net that enable PhysX support for some current generation Nvidia GPUs. These have been kind of hard to get hold of with most links leading to corrupt files on far away and painfully slow FTP servers. I've put the drivers on our server in order to make them easily available to anyone who wants to try them out.

A reminder: These are leaked beta drivers and I cannot be held responsible if they hose your system, make you lose your uber leet score in counter-strike, cause your new puppy to spontaneously burst into flames, cause an inter-dimensional rift, etc.

Nvidia Forceware 177.39 for Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit) - [DOWNLOAD]
Nvidia Forceware 177.39 for Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit) - [DOWNLOAD]

Nvidia Forceware 177.39 for Microsoft Windows XP Professional / Windows Server 2003 (64-bit) - [DOWNLOAD]
Nvidia Forceware 177.39 for Microsoft Windows XP Professional / Home Edition (32-bit) - [DOWNLOAD]

Nvidia PhysX Driver 8.06.12 (All Windows O/S) - [DOWNLOAD]

Download links courtesy gamebeat.net and for [H]ard|OCP / [H]ard|Forum only :)

This combination of drivers should enable Geforce accelerated PhysX support on all G92 and GT2XX cards. Support for older G80 cards is said to be coming in a future driver release.

[EDIT: Apparently these drivers only support the 9800GTX, 9800GTX+, and GT2XX 'out of the box' as it were. If you want to use them with older G92 based cards you'll need to modify the .inf]

Information on exactly what PhysX titles are currently supported seems sketchy at best at the moment. As of this post I know that it works for 3DMark Vantage (ugh!) and Unreal Tourney 2K3 (with PhysX patch).

Oh, and please spare us any lectures in this thread about how you don't use 'leaked' drivers, yadda yadda yadda. Some of us do like to 'live on the edge' and try new things - if you're not one of them you probably shouldn't be visiting [H]ard|OCP in the first place. ;)

As some of you may have heard a certain set of drivers have made their way onto the net that enable PhysX support for some current generation Nvidia GPUs. These have been kind of hard to get hold of with most links leading to corrupt files on far away and painfully slow FTP servers. I've put the drivers on our server in order to make them easily available to anyone who wants to try them out.

A reminder: These are leaked beta drivers and I cannot be held responsible if they hose your system, make you lose your uber leet score in counter-strike, cause your new puppy to spontaneously burst into flames, cause an inter-dimensional rift, etc.

Nvidia Forceware 177.39 for Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit) - [DOWNLOAD]
Nvidia Forceware 177.39 for Microsoft Windows Vista (32-bit) - [DOWNLOAD]

Nvidia Forceware 177.39 for Microsoft Windows XP Professional / Windows Server 2003 (64-bit) - [DOWNLOAD]
Nvidia Forceware 177.39 for Microsoft Windows XP Professional / Home Edition (32-bit) - [DOWNLOAD]

Nvidia PhysX Driver 8.06.12 (All Windows O/S) - [DOWNLOAD]

Download links courtesy gamebeat.net and for [H]ard|OCP / [H]ard|Forum only :)

This combination of drivers should enable Geforce accelerated PhysX support on all G92 and GT2XX cards. Support for older G80 cards is said to be coming in a future driver release.

[EDIT: Apparently these drivers only support the 9800GTX, 9800GTX+, and GT2XX 'out of the box' as it were. If you want to use them with older G92 based cards you'll need to modify the .inf]

Information on exactly what PhysX titles are currently supported seems sketchy at best at the moment. As of this post I know that it works for 3DMark Vantage (ugh!) and Unreal Tourney 2K3 (with PhysX patch).

Oh, and please spare us any lectures in this thread about how you don't use 'leaked' drivers, yadda yadda yadda. Some of us do like to 'live on the edge' and try new things - if you're not one of them you probably shouldn't be visiting [H]ard|OCP in the first place. ;)

Does Resonance Cascade fall under that catagory? I don't want that on MY head.

Anyone tried it yet who can say what these actually do? I know they enable physx and all, but it's a bit of a hassle, so I'm hoping to find out what happens before I bother downloading.

Noticeable performance/graphics change? Do you get a new control panel for physx settings?

Anyone tried it yet who can say what these actually do? I know they enable physx and all, but it's a bit of a hassle, so I'm hoping to find out what happens before I bother downloading.

Noticeable performance/graphics change? Do you get a new control panel for physx settings?

As for the PhysX support, the jury is still pretty much out on what games it actually works with and how GPU PhysX affects in game performance.

As for the 177.xx series in general, they are awesome drivers. Noticible performance gains in several current generation titles including Crysis and especially Age of Conan. A couple of weeks or so ago rumours started flying about a new set of drivers said to improve performance in G92 based cards, and it's been the general consensus sofar that the 177.xx series drivers are the ones referred to in said rumour.

I've been using the 177.35 for several days with awesome results and sofar the 177.39 seem to follow suit nicely. Keep in mind that I use a 9800GTX so the performance differences may not be the same on older cards.

Give 'em a try and post in the thread with any impressions you want to share. :)

My Mass Effect crashes on a physx dll after setting this up. Vantage scores are through the roof though! :) Back to the 175's.

My 9800 GTXs should be here in a few hours. I'm running 175.63 Forcewares right now.

If I see anything interesting comparing between the 175s and the 177s, i'll report back.

Thanks for the links, OP.

These drivers don't offer any improvement for me over the 75s.

I don't think I have any PhysX games, anyhoo. But nice find and post.

I suppose the magic performance driver that has been spoken of is just for the 9800 GTX+?

These drivers don't offer any improvement for me over the 75s.

I don't think I have any PhysX games, anyhoo. But nice find and post.

I suppose the magic performance driver that has been spoken of is just for the 9800 GTX+?
It is nothing magic about it, just a feature activated in the driver that has been sleeping until it is needed.

No this driver applies for 9800GTX/GTX+ and GTX280/260 for now.
Later this month it is said that all G92 based card will get the same support and even G80 based card next month.
However i seen some modded inf for G92 card and some with 8800GT that has activated the GforcePhysX so with the modde file any G92 card can have it.
SLI is not supported however so Gx2 is a fail on this area as only one of the two cards can run it.

It is nothing magic about it, just a feature activated in the driver that has been sleeping until it is needed.

No this driver applies for 9800GTX/GTX+ and GTX280/260 for now.
Later this month it is said that all G92 based card will get the same support and even G80 based card next month.
However i seen some modded inf for G92 card and some with 8800GT that has activated the GforcePhysX so with the modde file any G92 card can have it.
SLI is not supported however so Gx2 is a fail on this area as only one of the two cards can run it.

I was just commenting based on another thread where Fudzilla said the 9800 GTX would be getting a new performance driver to compete with the 4850. ( I guess I just assumed all who read this thread have read the other: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1316714 )

I'm not sure if this mythical driver is what we have here or something else, perhaps just for the 9800 GTX+.

I have 9800 GTXs...these drivers really don't improve anything that I can see so far. I don't have any PhysX games, so if the PhysX driver is the performance driver (Vantage scores are way up with the PhysX driver?), it does me no good. I have XP. :)

Thanks. The other site I was downloading these from had the files pulled when I got home.

Has anyone tried the old Ageia PhysX non-game demos with these?

FYI, if you don't have a PhysX enabled game, give Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter a try. It's only a $20 download at some sites and I'm having fun with it on my 7900GS (I know, purchasing mistake... my recently acquired 8800GT is on its way for RMA.) I'm interested to see how my new card is going to look with Oblivion and GRAW2.

FYI, if you don't have a PhysX enabled game, give Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter a try. It's only a $20 download at some sites and I'm having fun with it on my 7900GS (I know, purchasing mistake... my recently acquired 8800GT is on its way for RMA.) I'm interested to see how my new card is going to look with Oblivion and GRAW2.

I played GRAW. It's good game. I played through through the first five levels and I enjoyed it somewhat, but it's annoying.

First annoying thing about that game: Your squad is all but useless, other than for bait.

Second annoying thing about GRAW: I don't know if anyone else had this bug, but I played for two-hours straight with one of my squad members telling me repeatedly. "Wait i'm reloading!!....I have to reload..... Wait i'm reloading!!...I have to reload...." over and over again.

Third, and this is by far the most annoying aspect of any game i've ever played: Since the dawn of video games, the protagonist has been able to "jump" in some way shape or form. From Donkey Kong to Pitfall Harry and every first or third person shooter one has ever been able to play, jumping is a main action.

What ever possessed the people who designed GRAW to not allow you to jump, I have no idea. What soldier ever in war never needed to jump at some point or other? I would have enjoyed that game 3x as much.

As far as PhysX goes...I never saw anything that good about PhysX to make me want to spend extra money to try it, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

Oh cool, thanks for the links. I'm really interested to see if this works or not. If it does I can save myself $125 on a Phys-X card, but I'm not expecting much.

I just noticed there are built-in demos with the PhysX driver....I'm running in SLI and the demos seem to work fine. Pretty neat...

ScreenShot003.jpg

What's your cpu usage?

Yeah....the CPU was at 50% on the demo. I was waiting to see if someone would ask about that.

But I didn't think the demo would render unless the GPU was doing the work? It's set in the driver "Geforce PhysX" Why would the driver allow the CPU do the rendering, if that's the case?

it might default to software rendering if the hardware is not present, there was another little techy demo thingy back when physx was first a huge deal that would run in software ....

it might default to software rendering if the hardware is not present, there was another little techy demo thingy back when physx was first a huge deal that would run in software ....

Well, that's the thing. It detects "Geforce PhysX" as the engine and it's using video memory.
It seems like it is being software rendered, though.

I mean, according to nvidia, I have the hardware for this, right?

ScreenShot004.jpg

I have not noticed a difference at all with my GXT280 when doing the demos with or without 177.39, cpu usage is the same so right now I am doubting whether or not this is working properly.

Well there is a difference in the physics scores of Vantage but does that really mean anything?

Here is something interesting, German site ComputerBase did a bench of the physics benchmark with an actual Ageia card and their score only improved from 22.9 to 30.7 operations per sec while mine using the drivers for the GTX280 increased my score from 15.28 to 127.85 if this is accurate in anyway than this PhysX implementation with Nvida absolute destroys an Ageia PhysX card.

I'm downloading Warmonger to see if there is a big performance difference now due to PhysX implementation with Nvidia.

People, the PhysX support isn't working in most games yet, only UT3 as far as I know. So don't go downloading a PhysX game just to see it work with the new drivers, you will probably be dissapointed.

(But if you do go trying PhysX stuff, please post your results!!!)

People, the PhysX support isn't working in most games yet, only UT3 as far as I know. So don't go downloading a PhysX game just to see it work with the new drivers, you will probably be dissapointed.

(But if you do go trying PhysX stuff, please post your results!!!)

I was figuring that Warmonger might because it uses UE3 engine, it is hard telling because I have not played it before but there is your cloth physics and destructible walls and objects and debris that flys around and then you got the rag doll going on with bodies but the gameplay starts taking a noticeable hit when you start shooting at somebody, and the closer you get the more you see the performance hit and if you get several people around you in a firefight, performance goes to shit until you either kill them or get far enough away, it's kind of funny when you die in that situation because your dead looking up and frames still take a heavy hit.

I bought UT3 a couple of weeks ago (still unopened), I was just wondering if the Ageia demos worked.

When I first started playing UT3 and tried the PhysX Servers, they were always empty. I saw maybe 3 people in there while I was tring those levels. Back in Feb of 2008 when Nvidia bought out Ageia, they closed down all those servers. Now when I log into UT3, I never see any PhysX server. Maybe with these drivers, people will put some maps back up and attract people back. I wonder how this will affect people with the original card like myself?

I can't get the 177.39 drivers installed for my 9600GT / Vista 64. When I run GPUZ it reports my driver version as 174.74 Forceware, and I have never had those drivers on my PC.

any way to make this driver work with an 8800GTS SLI setup on UT3?

Just use one of the modded .infs posted a few posts up, or mod your own .inf.

Be aware that even with the modded .inf PhysX support won't work if those 8800GTS boards are of the older G80 variety. G80 support is slated to be rolled into a future release...

The drivers work great on the G80 boards otherwise, even produce some performance enhancements over the previous 175 series drivers.

I didn't read the whole article but did anyone mention if those drivers work on a 9600gt. I was thinking it was 9800gtx and maybe 98000gx2 only.

I didn't read the whole article but did anyone mention if those drivers work on a 9600gt. I was thinking it was 9800gtx and maybe 98000gx2 only.

At this time the PhysX support only works on the G92 and 2XXGT cores. That includes the 8800GT, 8800GTS (512MB), 9800GTX, 9800GTX+, GT260, and GT280 only. The older G80 series boards will recieve support in a future release of the PhysX driver + Forceware.

So does the PhysX stuff not just work in any UT3 map? I installed everything last night for my 8800GTS(G92) and couldn't tell a difference just playing deathmatch. Maybe the character's ragdoll looked a little more flimsy.

So does the PhysX stuff not just work in any UT3 map? I installed everything last night for my 8800GTS(G92) and couldn't tell a difference just playing deathmatch. Maybe the character's ragdoll looked a little more flimsy.

There's an Ageia map pack out for UT3. That's where the PhysX effects come into play.

At this time the PhysX support only works on the G92 and 2XXGT cores. That includes the 8800GT, 8800GTS (512MB), 9800GTX, 9800GTX+, GT260, and GT280 only. The older G80 series boards will recieve support in a future release of the PhysX driver + Forceware.

The 9600GT is a G94 core. Personally I have not been able to get it working on my 9600GT.

Back