Project: Repositorium 1.0

LittleMe

2[H]4U
I've spent hours and hours following all the great storage threads on here (Ockie, gjvrieze, nitrobass24) and I'm moving forward with my project. Thanks to Danny Bui for the name!

Goals: Consolidate all my storage from different computers to a single location. No more remembering which computer I have that movie on or where that TV series is. I want the box to be fast, stable and do only one thing, offer up my storage. The majority of storage needs to be shared, but I'll also be making part of it an iSCSI target for my MCE box to connect to and record on.

Parts:
NORCO RPC-4020 4U Rackmount Server Case
Intel S3210SHLC LGA 775 Intel 3210 Server Motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q6600
4GB Kingston DDR2-800 ECC memory
Antec Quattro 850 PSU
2x Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad-Port NIC (PCI-E x4)
Areca ARC-1261ML PCI-E x8 16-port SATA II RAID Card
12x Seagate 1TB ES.2 HDD's (move to 16 when I need an upgrade)

Software:
Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64 (Thanks to M$ for the free event copy)
RocketDivision StarWind iSCSI Target Software (I'll test to see if it will work for me and buy the full copy if it does)

I already got the case, CPU, PSU, NIC's and hard drives earlier this week. The order for the motherboard and memory went in today. The RAID card was ordered a few days ago but is now on back-order so I'll be waiting for that..

Picture of the case, drives and network cards.

I'll also be making part of it an iSCSI target for my MCE box to connect to and record on.
Why iscsi? Make a separate share if you want to, but I don't know why you'd want iscsi on a home network.
2x Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad-Port NIC (PCI-E x4)
Good choices all around, but very nice NICs! Where did you get them from? What switch are they going to? Planning to do teaming with them?

Going with iSCSI because MCE won't record to a network share without a little tweaking, so life will be easier there. Plus, with my home network already, iSCSI isn't out of place.

This NIC's are from newegg. They'll be teamed for 8Gbps across 2 HP ProCurve 2900-24G's. The 2 switches are linked together via a 10GbE connection. So in the event a switch dies, the other will still be up running for some true iSCSI MPIO. Overkill? Yep! I've also got an HP 4506zl with 48 10/100/1000 PoE ports.

Crappy iPhone pic, you can also see this pic in the Network Pics v2 thread.

Going with iSCSI because MCE won't record to a network share without a little tweaking, so life will be easier there. Plus, with my home network already, iSCSI isn't out of place.

This NIC's are from newegg. They'll be teamed for 8Gbps across 2 HP ProCurve 2900-24G's. The 2 switches are linked together via a 10GbE connection. So in the event a switch dies, the other will still be up running for some true iSCSI MPIO. Overkill? Yep! I've also got an HP 4506zl with 48 10/100/1000 PoE ports.

Crappy iPhone pic, you can also see this pic in the Network Pics v2 thread.

Shit you got alot of gear, and wow 8Gbps, that is 1GB/s, I hate you :)

Shit you got alot of gear, and wow 8Gbps, that is 1GB/s, I hate you :)

Not that I'll hit 1GB/s though. None of my other boxes will have anything more than two NIC's or anything fast enough to write at that speed to. I really wish these cards worked with Vista, then I'd put one in the server and one in my main box for 4Gb/s between the two.

Not that I'll hit 1GB/s though. None of my other boxes will have anything more than two NIC's or anything fast enough to write at that speed to. I really wish these cards worked with Vista, then I'd put one in the server and one in my main box for 4Gb/s between the two.

Do some codeing and make the driver.

Have you tried 2008 drivers?

Have you tried 2008 drivers?

Hmmm, actually I haven't. Good point, I'll give them a try. I could get the cards installed under vista before but the software wouldn't work so I couldn't create a team.

Hmmm, actually I haven't. Good point, I'll give them a try. I could get the cards installed under vista before but the software wouldn't work so I couldn't create a team.

Also update your drivers, these nic teaming functions are now integrated into your properties. 2008 drivers should work for you.

Also update your drivers, these nic teaming functions are now integrated into your properties. 2008 drivers should work for you.

Yea, I knew that. In Vista, that's what wouldn't work. When I get off work today I'm going to try the 2k8 server drivers and see if it shows up.

Well that really sucks! I put one of the cards in my main box, NF680i SLI board and turned my computer on.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAM!!!!!!!! Followed by the 4th of July in my case. The card burst into flames and was shooting sparks everywhere.

This is the best picture I could get of the now dead 400 dollar Intel NIC. The motherboard is still working but I have soot inside a PCI-E and PCI slot as well as on the motherboard.

Not sure I want to try the other one now!

Well, I guess that solves that :)

See if you can RMA that sucker.

Just got off the phone with Intel. They've issued me an RMA and I should get the email with the info to send it back within 24 hours. Now I need to call BFG and see what my options are with the motherboard. If I get brave enough to test the PCI-E slot and it doesn't work and BFG won't RMA the board, the lady with Intel said I can start a claim to get them to pay for it.

So the question of the hour is, should I go balls out and throw the Intel NIC in the same slot and give it a try?

Holy shit, how the fuck would that happen? Thats a pci-e card, it should work in a pci-e slot.

EDIT: Even look on neweggs site, it says this:
Code:
 Compatible with x4, x8, and x16 standard and low-profile PCI Express slots

It should have worked but didn't. I think something was wrong with the actual card because I have 2 and the other card worked in that exact same slot before. I decided, what the hell and put the other NIC in that exact same slot. I powered the box on with nothing in it but that card and it powered up just fine. Errored out because of no video card but no fire either. Just downed it and threw my 2 old 7950GX2's into it, the second card being in that burned slot and it booted just fine. I'm in Windows typing this from a monitor being run by that card. I'm about to reboot and throw the second NIC into that slot again and give it a try. Here's a better picture of the card.

If you look close enough, you can see it burned all along the 2 traces that run from the pins just to the left side of slot in the PCI-E connector. The fire started just under that sticker and was working it's way up those 2 traces towards the connected. I think another 3 seconds or so and it would have it the connector and hit the board.

Well I'm stupid/slow today. I downed my box to put the other NIC in, but I picked up the fried card because I wasn't paying attention and talking on the phone (why does work have to call me at home?). So I started it up and more fireworks everywhere. Turned it off, put the good NIC in and it's ok right now. Downloading the 2k8 drivers now.

Special thanks to Ockie for giving me the idea to try the card again. It's been a great afternoon of fun so far. But at least it didn't happen on my server's board.

Couldn't get it to install Ockie. I tried the 2k8 drivers (which actually when extracted say Vista32) and would first get a screen saying it found one of the cards, then it would stop and say no cards found. I can force Windows to install the drivers for the cards, but I don't get Intel ANS so I can't create a team.

Holy shit WTF happended..thats insane.
Anyways I dont really know what to tell you about the intel software issue.

BTW why are you using RocketDivision StarWind iSCSI Target Software? Doesnt Server2008 ent allow you to set a iSCSI target?

Holy shit WTF happended..thats insane.
Anyways I dont really know what to tell you about the intel software issue.

BTW why are you using RocketDivision StarWind iSCSI Target Software? Doesnt Server2008 ent allow you to set a iSCSI target?

It's pretty crazy, I still laugh when I think about the lady from Intel I talked to.

Her: "What's wrong with the NIC, is it just not detecting a link?"
Me: "Ummmm, no. It burst into flames and created a fireworks show worthy of the 4th of July in my case."
Her: "Umm, I'm sorry. Did you say it caught on fire?"
Me: "Yep!"

Anyway, Server 2008 has an iSCSI initiator, same as XP, 2K3, and Vista. The software will allow me to basically turn it into an iSCSI SAN.

Update: I got the motherboard and RAID card today. Pic's when I get home from work.

Anyway, Server 2008 has an iSCSI initiator, same as XP, 2K3, and Vista. The software will allow me to basically turn it into an iSCSI SAN.
OOO I was under the impression that server2008 could also act as a target...guess I dreamed that.

I wish it could, Microsoft acutally bought a company a few years back that sold an iSCSI Target software package but nothing much came of it except in Storage Server.

So the motherboard and RAID card came in today. Got them both installed in the case. I tried to keep the cables clean but it's still a little messy. The section of the case that holds the motherboard is pretty clean though.

Looking good there, gotta love the raid card!! I had a little scare with mine this morning, but got it all worked (of course, without data loss) Odditory still swears by them, their web config, is the best!

Well, I got impatient. I ran down Best Buy and picked up 2 512MB sticks of DDR2-667. Which, since I hate Best Buy, I will be returning in 2 days when my 4Gig's of DDR2-800 ECC gets here. I still need the adapter for the dvd-drive which comes in on Wednesday and the OS drive which comes in tomorrow. I figure tomorrow once I get the OS drive, I'll throw a regular dvd-drive on it and get things started.

First boot:

The 1261ML seeing the 12 1TB ES.2's:

Did some late night shopping and picked out a 2GB stick of DDR2 for the 1261ML. I went with the Kingston KVR667D2E5/2G stick. It should be here on Thursday with my DDR2-800 ECC memory. The box will be connected to a UPS, so I still haven't decided if I want the BBU for the card. Also figured I'd wait until I see the temps before I move beyond the stock Intel HSF.

Sweet, this is going along nicely besides the nic burning up. You will enjoy the areca card, there damn fast. What is the total cost?

Edit: Also your temps should be pretty good, no need for a new hsf, and also you should get a bbu just to be safe, no one likes corruption.

Sweet, this is going along nicely besides the nic burning up. You will enjoy the areca card, there damn fast. What is the total cost?

Edit: Also your temps should be pretty good, no need for a new hsf, and also you should get a bbu just to be safe, no one likes corruption.

Can I say I hate you? I should have followed Ockie and others and just not add things up. But Iapsed some judgement on that and just added it up and for a bit more I could have one of these.

08YZFR6_blk_3_b6723982.jpg

Cost to date: $6,187.43

Can I say I hate you? I should have followed Ockie and others and just not add things up. But Iapsed some judgement on that and just added it up and for a bit more I could have one of these.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/content/images/600/08YZFR6_blk_3_b6723982.jpg

Nice bike, but damn thats a shit load of money. My .6TB server cost me only $100 (the price of the storage drive) the rest i got for free.
The current specs: Sempron 3200+ 1.8GHz s939, Compaq Mobo, 4x256MB DDR, Seagate 120GB Sata, WD 500GB Sata, 2x Dlink Nic, Xp Pro, Generic Case, Bestec 250w Psu. Headless.

Yea, it's becoming a little expensive. Just got the Slim ATAPI adapter and realized, I don't have any IDE connections on my motherboard. I need to buy a Slim ATAPI to SATA adapter. Found that Supermicro makes one and Provantage has it for 18 bucks.

Yea, it's becoming a little expensive. Just got the Slim ATAPI adapter and realized, I don't have any IDE connections on my motherboard. I need to buy a Slim ATAPI to SATA adapter. Found that Supermicro makes one and Provantage has it for 18 bucks.

LOL, should have gone with a SATA optical drive like I did!!!

08YZFR6_blk_3_b6723982.jpg

Motorbike will kill you, your server wont ;)

A server can kill you if you if it fall over on you. lol. Especially the ones you guys are building. Those things must be 150lbs

LOL, should have gone with a SATA optical drive like I did!!!

me too this has turned out to be a real PITA....
LittleMe did the adapter you got from directron fit well with the case? Im suppose to get mine today but would like to know what im getting myself into.

A server can kill you if you if it fall over on you. lol. Especially the ones you guys are building. Those things must be 150lbs

At least dying under a nice server is better than dying under some dirty 18 wheeler carrying cheap foreign goods. :D

me too this has turned out to be a real PITA....
LittleMe did the adapter you got from directron fit well with the case? Im suppose to get mine today but would like to know what im getting myself into.

I usually go for the IDE adapters as they are a little more friendlier (I like to stick to IDE for server optical drives). The new SATA ones are pretty nice and eliminates the backplane adapter.

You can always get a slim sata adapter for your IDE drives if you choose to go that route... at least you get the best of both worlds :)

The adapter I got fit perfectly just nothing to plug it into.

And the bike goes waay faster than the server. Although I am posting this from the court house since Im trying to fight my speeding ticket. I mean really, what cop car can pace a street bike at 150mph? 1000 dollar ticket my ass!

The adapter I got fit perfectly just nothing to plug it into.

And the bike goes waay faster than the server. Although I am posting this from the court house since Im trying to fight my speeding ticket. I mean really, what cop car can pace a street bike at 150mph? 1000 dollar ticket my ass!

The corvettes, that the Dallas cops have. maybe the chargers too but definately not a crown vic, they top out at 128mph i beleive.

Back