Universal Abit to Honor Warranties

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We spoke with some friends over at Abit this morning. They assured us that even though it will be fully leaving the motherboard business by year end, that Abit will still stay committed to warranties and customer support. If this is any indication of what Abit has been doing in the enthusiast motherboard industry, HardOCP has only seen fit to review two of its motherboards since May of 2007.

Yay! I have a few Abit boards that I bought in the last 2 months and have a couple more still in warranty.

This is a shame. It might just be luck, but out of all the motherboards I've owned ABIT's seem to be the most stable and have offered the most features at a low price. My x38 Quad GT and 939 AN8 Fatal1ty SLI (3+ years old) are a rock.

If my x38 does go, I'm happy it will be covered.

abit is not selling enough boards to any longer compete in the industry.

If they indeed to be committed to warranties and customer service like they have been recently I would be very, very afraid.

A bid you a sad farewell ABIT. My pair of NF7-S v2.0s (IMO, one of the finest motherboards I've ever had the pleasure to own) will continue to soldier on in memory of your glory days.

IMO Abit should have tried to snatch up a few contracts with OEMs to stay ahead of the game. Just about every HP computers I've ever opened up to fix or upgrade had always contain ASUS and Intel boards.

Good luck to the displaced Abit engineers whatever your future holds.

My KV7 and TX5 rev 1.2 were two of the best boards I've ever worked with. Solid, stable, and can take any CPU that fits in the socket. A K6-III @ 400 (66x6.0) on my TX5 and a mobile Barton XP-M @ 2.4GHz on my KV7 were only two examples of their CPU support flexibilities.

Sad to see them go to say the least, and I also wish those losing engineering jobs etc, best of luck in finding new jobs.

I'm sure the talent at Abit will flourish somewhere else, let's just hope we all benefit from it and those losing their jobs find a job that they enjoy somewhere else quickly.

Makes me want to pick up a few nice boards from abit before they're gone just to have for memories sake. :(

In a market that moves as fast as motherboards,you have to get boards supporting new platforms developed and out in the market quickly,and Abit wasn't able to do that.Other companies had P45 and X48 boards out far ahead of them.

this hurts...really bad. Like many of you I got my start in enthusiast computing on abit boards. cranking my celeron 300a to the limit on a bx6... then finally stepping into my kx7333r (and my first raid experience), then to the nf7-s. Hell at one point myself, my gf, my parents and everyone i built a system for ran the nf7-s. in fact i just pulled that last one out of daily service about a year ago, and it still is in my renderfarm working just as well as it did the day i set it up.

then abit went into trouble and i moved to dfi... but when i went s775 they came back with a vengence... it's really sad to see them go. Their p35's were masterpieces of that chipset, and probably the best boards i've worked on of that era. It's sad too because with the exception of an asus board i got on the f/s trade forums, my intel stuff has been exclusively converted to abit boards underneath. ><

I agree, this sucks. I have used Abit boards in all of my builds for myself and others. I have had nothing but good performance and service from Abit. It is sad to see them go.

The rumor I've heard is that most of their design
team have gone to Biostar and Foxconn...

Probably the reason both of those companies
have made a recent push into the enthusiast
market... ;)

What a huge disappointment. My vote for best board ever was a BE6 I built in 1999...started as a PII500, ended as an overclocked 1G with 768MB & 9 drives, removable HD bays and booting to Win95, 98 200, XP, BeOS & Linux, & GeForce 6800. Finally retired in 2005. I've built a dozen AN-M2HD's; rock solid RAID systems. Just built a couple A-N78HD's with Quad Phenom; also killer.

Decided to build another beast based on the IN932X-Max with a Quad core Q9450, 8GB RAM, Dual 8800GT's, X-Fi & a RAID5 with 4 Seagate 500G 32MB Cache drives. Only the problem I ever had with an Abit, system has a bad PS2 port and I was suprised and upset at how bad the RMA was handled. Now I know why.

Maybe they sold poorly because HardOCP only reviewed two boards out of their incredible line of product.:D

Hey comitted to their warranties like they have been? Sounds like free to me. Abit is probably one of the most useless companies for support I have dealt with. Which makes them only slightly worse than average in the mobo business.

Hey comitted to their warranties like they have been? Sounds like free to me. Abit is probably one of the most useless companies for support I have dealt with. Which makes them only slightly worse than average in the mobo business.

interested, i had two support and two rma experiences (and a seperate purchase of a bios chip....learned that their winflash likes to recognize the nf7-s as the nf7 not s). Other than the fact that the dude on the other line had really poor english they were very helpful, and both times the rma's were processed completely via erma and were back in around a week.

It's now official...
All the rumors that have been flying around, none of them had any proof, and now we here it from Kyle who has spoken to Abit Reps himself.

So where did all their talented engineers end up?
I know Oscar Wu ended up at DFI years ago...
I have heard a few of them have moved to Biostar and Foxconn...is this true?

WTF? Did I miss an article on Universal Abit saying they would stop producing mobo's or is this non-chalant off the cuff blurb actually HardOCP's breaking the news that Universal Abit is out of the mobo biz? This needs some investigation as loyal Abit (at least pre-Universal:p) lovers like myself need some closure. Sell the name to Asus and let them brand their high end OCing boards with the ABIT name.:) I'd buy one.

Also, if they aren't making mobos, what are they going to do? The graphics card industry competition is fierce and I don't see them surviving in that industry if that is their intent.

Well, I better start buying some abit boards as backups for the ones I already have.

sad sad day
NF7 v2.0 <3
AV8 <3
Digidice *cute lil shuttle type box* <3
I was really hoping they would one day re-do the digidice on the new platforms too :(
I wonder what the heck they are gonna do. OEM boards? Video cards?

can't say I didn't see this coming. My last 3 abit boards from that era died of puffy caps. (BE6, TH7, BH6) R.I.P. Abit.

I'm calling B.S. on this one. Abit has had my boards for 3 months now. I even paid them for repair that I shouldn't of had to pay for in the first place 1 month ago. I still don't have my boards. None of their phone numbers work, neither do any of their e-mails. (they usually bounce back or I don't get a reply all together). I've resorted to trying a fax number today. How were you able to contact them, Kyle?

I posted this about 3 weeks ago so no I'm not surprised at all.

I posted this about 3 weeks ago so no I'm not surprised at all.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Budman Limp Gawd, 8.3 Years

Budman is online now Report Post
Abit reportedly leaving motherboard business
By Joel Hruska | Published: August 11, 2008 - 05:58PM CT

It was only last week that I reported VIA's departure from the motherboard chipset business, and now the bell is tolling for one of the original top players in the enthusiast Slot 1/Socket 370/Socket A market. From 1998-2001, give or take a bit, Abit was was the golden child of the overclocking industry. If you were a dual-core enthusiast, the company's BP6 was the motherboard to have, as it brought symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) into price ranges mere mortals could afford. Back then, the Celeron 300A's 128K of onboard L2 cache was significantly faster than the Pentium II's 512K of slower, off-die cache; dual overclocked Celeron 300A's were simply the mint frosting on a cellular peptide cake.

Abit went on to launch a number of other popular enthusiast motherboards, including the BH6, K7A, and IC7-G, but the combination of extremely shady financial dealings and the industry-wide capacitor disaster of the early 2000s sank the motherboard manufacturer. Abit was purchased by Universal Scientific Industrial in 2006, and while the company has kept the Abit name, manufacturing and distribution have been handled by entirely different groups. Now, according to CustomPC, the company will cease all motherboard production. Most of the Fatal1ty team has apparently transferred to either Foxconn or Biostar.

Abit may intend to focus its manufacturing efforts on products that synchronize more easily with USI's product lines, including notebooks, UMPCs, and photo frames, but the company's time as a motherboard competitor has come to an end. One thing I have to give Abit credit for, in closing, is being one of the only, if not the only motherboard manufacturer to ever admit that it had built boards with faulty capacitors. The problem was industry-wide, but virtually no one owned up to it. Thanks for the good times, the overclocking, and the dual SMP way back when.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/hard...board-business

My IC7-G and NF7 v2.0 were probably the two best boards I've ever owned. And if memory serves, Abit also pioneered the 'jumper free' BIOS configuration that we all take for granted.

Good times, great memories. Very very sad to see them go. :(

I started off years ago, but thanks to hardocp and virtualhideout started building with ka7 from abit. From just about every generation of amd to intel back and forth like a ping pong. Many of my co-workers and friends have felt the love of abit, even named user on old psper forums and steven301's quote is abit abuser.
:cry I've since left the modding and building of new pc's but will always remember the good and bad times fondly.

dissapointed over here too. had many abit boards throughout the years. ic7-g still going in my bro's rig

really liked their most recent s775 boards also. who's going to pick up their black and blue color scheme now?

yeah, what a bummer. my first ever computer build was an nf7-s with amd 2400 mobile
i was gonna end up selling it but i am going to hang onto it now.

Back