Is this what S-IPS panels are meant to be like?

Rajveer

Limp Gawd
I got a Hazro HZ24Wi a few days ago and love it, but I've got a few issues with it.

1: On dark scenes the bottom corners appear lighter than anywhere else on the screen, however if I position my head directly in front of these corners then they looks normal and the rest of the screen looks lighter. Is this the S-IPS effect people talk about?

2: There seems to be some colour shifting: on a black background the bottom left corner looks a light grey, but the bottom right corner has a heavy tint of yellow which really annoys me. Is this normal?

3: On a white background, the middle of the screen has a slight yellow tint, although other users have reported this and I can live with it. Anyways, is it normal?

I've attached some images:

This is what it looks like from a normal head position (eye level near the top of the screen). Notice the yellow on the bottom right.

This is what it looks like from the middle of the screen. The yellow is still there (and this isn't how I would position my monitor, not comfortable).

These are from the different corners.

Looks like you have a ton of light leakage at the edges.
Take it back and get another.
If it has the same problem, choose a different manufacturer.

You may get some light bleeding through but it shouldnt be that magnitude.

Looks like you have a ton of light leakage at the edges.
Take it back and get another.
If it has the same problem, choose a different manufacturer.

You may get some light bleeding through but it shouldnt be that magnitude.

It's not light leakage, it's the glossy panel covering exaggerating the "white glow" effect. I saw this on my W24i, which is part of the reason I sent it back for a refund. If you position your eyes directly in front of those patches that "light leakage" effect fades away completely.

You'll notice that the light bleeding through is strongest at the screen edges.
This is light leaking in from the screen edges.

This is totally unacceptable and I would return/exchange the monitor.

I too think it's the white glow effect magnified by the glossy screen, as it disappears and moves as I move around the screen. But I can't believe it should be THIS bad? Hazro say their ISO states that up to 20% of the screen can be ununiform which seems quite high...

I too think it's the white glow effect magnified by the glossy screen, as it disappears and moves as I move around the screen. But I can't believe it should be THIS bad?
This monitor probably has way too bright backlight and no brightness control so already that makes glow worser than in other displays.

This is what it looks like from a normal head position (eye level near the top of the screen). Notice the yellow on the bottom right.
Point lightsource to own face and you can use it as shaving mirror...

Thing is it's got other points which really appeal to me:

- No lag
- No ghosting
- Really good image quality
- Love the build quality (nice solid aluminium)
- Hard pressed to find the above with an IPS panel at this price point

I love gaming on it, everything looks great and responds really well, text is very clear e.t.c. The only thing is the crappy bleeding or white glow or whatever it is, which is obviously a deal breaker. Think I may give it another shot, and see what the next one look like.

I got a Hazro HZ24Wi a few days ago and love it, but I've got a few issues with it.

1: On dark scenes the bottom corners appear lighter than anywhere else on the screen, however if I position my head directly in front of these corners then they looks normal and the rest of the screen looks lighter. Is this the S-IPS effect people talk about?

2: There seems to be some colour shifting: on a black background the bottom left corner looks a light grey, but the bottom right corner has a heavy tint of yellow which really annoys me. Is this normal?

3: On a white background, the middle of the screen has a slight yellow tint, although other users have reported this and I can live with it. Anyways, is it normal?

Yes, I observed colorshift-like behaviour (big contributing factor is the panel "glow") in my IPS monitor as well (see the NEC 30" thread), something that was significantly less observable in my older generation monitors. Thanks for sharing your observations with us.

As for background bleeding, yikes that's horrible. Get it replaced ASAP if you can.

Hey TC this is what my NEC 20WMGX2 looked like when I first got it.

20wgx2pro2.jpg

As you can see it was quite bad, but it went away completely after about 2 weeks. I think you should maybe wait a week to see if the condition improves a bit. If not send for a replacement.

No, absolutely not.
This is regular LCD angle glow you can observe on any monitor (IPS, VA, TN), especially on larger ones.
Advanced LCD panels have A-TW polarizer to reproduce solid black with no LCD glow.

This is LCD glow on PVA panel. Looks very similar to what you post:
47pk6.jpg

No. IPS panels have no color shifting. You observe glow. Colorshift is a completely different thing.
Colorshift is a definition of what VA (PVA, MVA) panels suffer from.
This is how it looks:
46ml3.jpg

This is a smaller 20" MVA wih both glow in the corners and colorshift:
49vy6.jpg

PVA glow net to H-IPS A-TW (no glow):
pvaglowsp6.jpg

Regular H-IPS next to H-IPS A-TW:
51zc7.jpg

What you observe is normal for a regular LCD with no polarizer.
Except for R bottom corner - it seems to be backlight bleeding.

Yes, people may live with color tint in the middle or on the corners, like on this Eizo (PVA) panel:
eizopanelirregularitynn5.jpg

In your case slight tint in the middle may or may not be removed with calibration.

Anyway you can ask for replacement due to R bottom corner uniformity defect.

Thing is it's got other points which really appeal to me:

- No lag
- No ghosting
- Love the build quality (nice solid aluminium)
- Hard pressed to find the above with an IPS panel at this price point

I love gaming on it, everything looks great and responds really well, text is very clear e.t.c. The only thing is the crappy bleeding or white glow or whatever it is, which is obviously a deal breaker. Think I may give it another shot, and see what the next one look like.

all lcd's have ghosting and lag, especially IPS panels. the worst of all TFT's from what i understand. my NEC 2490 has 30+ms lag

from the visual problems described, i'd take it back and get a different panel if possible. IPS screens shouldnt have those problems. the ONLY visual issue IPS panels have is a slight purple background hue when looked at from an angle.

Wrong.

There are enough IPS monitors with zero inputlag.

Dell 2007FP
Dell 3007WFP-HC
LG W2600H

etc.

On the other hand; I still need to see the first lag-free PVA monitor.

The NEC2690wuxi which have an a-tw polarizer that I returned have the exact same glow like yours as well, it would disappear completely when you view the corners directly instead of viewing the corners from center of the monitor, I think every monitor have this problem, especially larger size LCDs. It is partly caused by the shape of your eyeball (or a camera lens in this instance). If our eyes are flat like the LCD, you won't see this glow and the screen would be uniform to your flat eye..

The glow is only visible at extreme dark rooms with no light source. If it's visible during day time use, it might just be too much.

I was going to suggest lowering the backlight to see if that helped. However, if there is no backlight control, well, I would want a monitor with a backlight control in any case...

(Brightness control may actually be or at least involve the backlight. This is the case with some monitors...no idea about the Hazro though....)

Yup it's got no backlight control which wouldn't be too bad if the white glow was better, as on this monitor reducing all the colour levels uniformly decreases the luminance without losing much colour or contrast. I gave the brightness control a shot, reduced it all the way to 0, but no go :(

Armatoste: You said your white glow and tinted corners went away within a few weeks? That's quite rare isn't it? Most posts I've read of people having these issues just get the monitor replaced.

Albovin: Thanks for those really detailed explanations! Yep I'm getting the monitor replaced due the the bottom right corner, although I hope I get one with less white glow in general...

I've got a replacement and the white glow seems worse on the bottom left, whereas the yellow tint seems the same/bit better on the bottom right. I don't think this is good enough and think I should go for a monitor with variable backlight. What other 24" choices are there, considering my requirements:

- No lag
- No ghosting
- Good black levels
- Minimum white glow on dark scenes and general panel uniformity from a head-on position
- Good price point (obviously this won't be as low as the Hazro)

I've got a replacement and the white glow seems worse on the bottom left, whereas the yellow tint seems the same/bit better on the bottom right. I don't think this is good enough and think I should go for a monitor with variable backlight. What other 24" choices are there, considering my requirements:

- No lag
- No ghosting
- Good black levels
- Minimum white glow on dark scenes and general panel uniformity from a head-on position
- Good price point (obviously this won't be as low as the Hazro)

The HP 2475 is about the only option, and is currently around the same price as the Hazro.

Damn, that's wide gamut isn't it :( Guess I'll just live with this if its the only option...

I still have white glow on my lcd, that can never go away. But what I meant was that the bleeding or dirty goild/purple glow or whatever it was while looking straing on at the screen went away.

picture002bo0.jpg

By armatoste, shot with Canon PowerShot A620 at 2008-09-23

20wgx2pro2dy3.jpg

By armatoste at 2008-09-23

Here is a shot of my NEC lcd2690, there is definitely glow, but it is visible only from extreme angles. During normal use, there is color shift when viewing images around the edge of screen for sure, its caused by your eyeball's roundness and not necessary the lcd's fault... So I guess problem is universal.

Extreme top view
lcdglow1.jpg

Extreme right view
lcdglow2.jpg

Normal frontal view
lcdglow3.jpg

Extreme left view
lcdglow4.jpg

Exteme bottom view
lcdglow5.jpg

And an actual shot of slight color shift to a bit yellowish near bottom of the screen (pure white bg), but it is absolutely minimal
lcdglow6.jpg

Camera: Nikon D200 DSLR

So I guess problem is universal.

No. Wrong guess. You don't get the point.
Your hands are CLEAN after wash. But with a microscope you can see microbes on your clean hands.
This monitor is one of two role MODELS to demonstrate what NO GLOW means.
If you bring a microscope to a restaurant and start looking for microbes on your plate you'll look strange (to be polite).
This is what you are doing now.
This monitor has been tested and testing for about 2 years.
What discoveries about the NEC 2690 are you going to come up with? Some purple tint from the R and some greenish tint from the L at extreme diagonal angle on black screen in darkness? It's known for 2 years. This is A-TW polarizer - be happy! People have been dined and wined for two years where you just stepped in.
Relax. It has no glow. No more "guesses", please.

This is glow:
necplanartoastyxdz7.jpg

2490vs24752aw7.jpg

These are conditions that you wont even notice under normal useage unless you stare at a black or white screen all day.

Really, the HP looks like something that would bother me in real life :(

With due respect it would only bother you if you were looking at the monitor from that angle all the time otherwise it is not noticeable.

I have the Planar 2611 and DS263 monitors at home side by side and only notice this condition if I view them from an angle. I am very happy with the monitors and if one of them broke today I would buy another one immediately. The PQ is excellent on both of them.

I'm getting white glow in the corners when viewing from a normal angle, and it's quite a bit. I'm pretty pissed at the black levels mostly, I loaded Stalker and tested them in one of the dark tunnels. I've taken some images versus my ancient L90D+ TN display which can get better blacks. I know blacks are a weak point of IPS panels but should they be this bad?

Pic 1, total darkness:

Pic 2, thought some "ambient" lighting could improve the perceived black level, still pretty poor:

Perhaps for my needs a PVA panel with better blacks would be more suited as I always view head-on anyways, seems like I can't find the perfect IPS panel for my needs.

I know blacks are a weak point of IPS panels but should they be this bad?

No, they shouldn't be that bad, but they are because for some reason Hazro decided not to include hardware backlight control and instead opted to use "panel blocking" to emulate the functionality. It's one of the major reasons I sent mine back (I was one of the people with the non i revision (actually, was the person that reported the DPMS issue to them first :p) and the original revision was a much better monitor IMHO, proper backlight control and a non-glossy panel).

I'm sure they'll keep working on their monitors, and when I come to upgrade to a 30" I'll definitely look at their offerings as I experienced some of the best customer service imaginable whilst I had their monitor.

Ah man, that really sucks, no wonder the black levels are crap. So what display do you use instead? I can't really find anything that matches the Hazro's great image quality (with non-dark images), is standard gamut and has no lag for fast fps gaming. I'm willing to spend more...

Jesus Christ, is Rajveer's HZ24Wi representative of what the average model looks like?

This monitor is currently high at the top of list of prospective choices to upgrade from my 20WMGX2. I can deal with the gradient banding but this eye sore of a white glow may be too much to deal with.

I was going to pick up a Hazro too but the extra cost shipping to the US and that problem turned me off big time.

In a month or so Hazro will ship their monitor thru a NA reseller so you won't have to worry about the high shipping cost.

for some reason Hazro decided not to include hardware backlight control and instead opted to use "panel blocking" to emulate the functionality.

Could you provide a source of this information, please?

I'm getting white glow in the corners when viewing from a normal angle, and it's quite a bit. I'm pretty pissed at the black levels mostly, I loaded Stalker and tested them in one of the dark tunnels. I've taken some images versus my ancient L90D+ TN display which can get better blacks. I know blacks are a weak point of IPS panels but should they be this bad?

Sadly it seems that this is starting to become a more common problem as a result of cheaper production and some insane obsession to destroy viewers retinas! Someone should really boot LG to get their act together. Older generation IPS monitors ("purple glow") are so much better in regards and would NOT glow as much as what you are seeing - would be comparable to your TN panel with just marginally worse black level.

Back