P5Q Pro starts up, shuts down, starts up

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
P5Q Pro
E8400
2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 C4 DHX
Corsair HX620

Sometimes when I hit the power button, the system initializes, shuts down after about a second, and immediately starts up just fine. I've never experienced a system do this.

I have a 2x2GB memory kit, but one stick is completely bad (can't boot with it or with both installed) and the "working" stick produces several errors no matter what I do in BIOS. The memory is supposed to be CAS 4. The motherboard runs it at 400MHz but 5-5-5-18. With default settings, it produces errors. Forcing it to 4-4-4-12 produces errors. Overclocking my E8400 to 3.6Ghz and running the memory at 400MHz (1:1) produces errors.

Could it even be a memory issue since it's able to boot up? Though the stick does produce errors in memtest86+, it allowed me to install XP Pro just fine, and copy files from other hard drive and install programs. Nothing seems corrupt.

I can't tell if the instant shutdown/startup is random or under what circumstances it happens. This is my first serious Intel build, so maybe it's an Intel platform thing.

That's the double boot bug and is not uncommon. Aside from the nuisance there are no ramifications of it, nothing to worry about; My MSI Neo2 mobo had it and nothing went wrong, just annoying. AFAIK there is no fix for it, perhaps flashing firmware might work but dunno.

*shrugs* Only had it for half a year, or less. Forgot, was last year >.>"

Do you shut down everyday or regularly? If so then it might be cause for concern (video card 100% spin up on boot will prolly wear the fan sooner).

P5Q-Deluxe
Q9450 @ 3.2
2x2 G.Skill DDR2-1000
Corsair HX620
pretty similar to ur rig and i do experience that once in a while... and the funny thing is that when that happens... when i boot it up and it will say my OC fails... that even happened when i was at stock... all i did was hit f1 to the BIOS and just save and exit again... then everything is back to normal lol
and i m pretty much sure my OC is stable first it just a light OC and primed for 15hrs and again it happen when it was back to set where everything was set to auto... lol
i guess it not a big deal? if there is a problem! PLEASE TELL US!!! ;)

I thought this was only common with P35's - particularly if you're tweaking OC settings (and depending on FSB, end up in a different strap). Though if this is happening at stock, I'd look into BIOS updates first.

I thought this was only common with P35's - particularly if you're tweaking OC settings (and depending on FSB, end up in a different strap). Though if this is happening at stock, I'd look into BIOS updates first.

ya i should update my BIOS... it is the original version that came out of the box... lol
but what if i updated the BIOS to the newest and it still happening? RMA?

I haven't read anything that indicates it's harmful. Mostly just an annoyance, but it has to be increasing wear & tear.

After reading that it's caused by unplugging the computer or surge protector or disconnecting power to the power supply, I was flipping the switch on my PSU quite a bit as I messed with my memory and connected/disconnected hard drives and such. I think once I'm done messing with the components and I leave it powered on, it won't double boot. Unfortunately I have to RMA my memory so it may be awhile.

but i havent mess with my computer for so awhile already...
and it still happens @_@
i really dont think it will increase the wear and tear since it just boot itself again...
u might use more electricity everytime it double boots but thatz all?
but hope u will find some more info and update us ;)

But it's power cycles. It starts everything and shuts them off, then starts them again. It's twice the cycles as it should be, but I'm pretty sure it's only done it for me after I've turned off power to the computer.

Well it's kinda like a car, start up and boot up does cause wear and tear. However the significance is pretty low, unless you are constantly doing it. Y'know how you have to replace your spark plugs on intervals, well if you have a engine start fetish you'll be replacing them sooner (along with other parts..). Same deal with computers, though again, the significance of a double boot is very low unless you regularly/constantly shut down your system.

but i havent touch my on/off button of my PSU for quite a long time...
maybe i should try that later and see if that really happens and i will update u as well

ok... what do u mean by shutting down the computer? shut down from windows? turn on the power supply/surge protection? or unplug the power cable from the PSU?
i did like to engine start alot... only if the gas arent so high atm lol

Anytime power is disconnected, so flipping the switch, turning off the power strip/surge protector, flipping the switch on the power strip or surge protector, removing the power cable from the PSU, etc.

thanks to both of u
i m just making sure that shutting down the computer by windows will not count too lol
i know it sound silly but just buying some insurance lol

The double boot of the P35s will occur at all times, with whatever normal or abnormal shutdown procedure that was performed. Meaning if you did it the "right way" of shut down windows, you would still double boot on next boot. Restarting will not result in a double boot AFAIR, only a cold boot but my memory is a bit vague.

Well I'm 99% sure it isn't always for the P45, at least mine. So far it seems to be after power disconnection only.

Back