The scam of the year, triple channel kit 9-9-9-24 vs 8-8-8-24

Manon66

Weaksauce
Absolutely no difference in benchmark vs old Patriot kit.... so buying this faster kit and pay more for no improvement at all....what a scam !

Well see the result here... (the 4 should read a 9 ) btw these are my benchmarks.

You should probably wait until other people come up with the same results,

Tijean66.

This is why you never trust reviews of people who bought the 9-9-9-24 kit, unknowingly, the day before the 8-8-8-24 came out.

if you're a hardcore bencher, the tighter timings will likely offer some improvements in pie calc times etc... but gamers and such, yeah, it's a waste of dough..

so what really matters with an i7 rig?

looking to buy soon, memory,case & videocard are my only questions on what to get

so what really matters with an i7 rig?

looking to buy soon, memory,case & videocard are my only questions on what to get

GPU, PSU, HSF and case (cooling).

GTX 260 if you're running a 22" LCD or smaller (1680x1050 or lower), GTX 280 if you're running 1920x1080 / 1920x1200, GTX 280 SLI if you're very demanding and running 1920x1200 or if you've got a 30" monitor and are running 2560x1600.

750+ watt high quality PSU. The BFG ES-800 is a personal favorite, as are the Corsair TX 750 and PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Black. If going SLI, I'd recommend the Corsair HX1000 or Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w.

HSF, your best option for air is probably still the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. You'll need the i7 adapter kit as well, as I don't think they're shipping any with the correct bracket just yet. Also remember that Thermalright heatsinks do not come with a fan -- people like the Scythe S-Flex fans for them. The Thermaltake V8 is an alternative to the Ultra 120 Extreme, but not nearly so well proven.

Case, I tend toward Lian Li and Silverstone, but there are some nice (and less expensive) alternatives from Antec and a few others. So long as it has all 120mm fans (3+ ideally) you should be fine, really.

RAM doesn't matter all that much so long as you don't go bargain basement. I'd get at least a DDR3-1333 kit. 6GB (3x2GB) is plenty for just about everything at this point and you can put another 6GB in later for considerably less once DDR3 prices come down to more sane levels. Could even go 2x2GB, as that's really plenty at this point, and i7 does dual-channel just fine, though the boost to bandwidth from a 3rd stick is nice. Corsair, G-Skill, OCZ, Crucial, PQI, Patriot, GEIL. That'd be how I generally rank RAM companies, and I only buy those brands. All have lifetime warranty on pretty much all their kits.

Of course this is assuming you're getting a 920 CPU and an X58 based board and overclocking... since you'd be crazy to do anything else.

Back