Massive's iCore7 SLI GTX 260 rig:

MassiveOverkill

[H]ard|Gawd
Single eVGA GTX 260 216 55nm, Thermalright HR01 Plus and 12 Gigs of OCZ DDR1600 CAS7 (I have them underclocked to around 1440 and at loose timings for now)

RamShot.jpg

Better shot at secondary cooling

VideoCard.jpg

eVGA got lonely so along came an MSI:

RemovedPowerSupply.jpg

Power connector shot:

SLIConnectors.jpg

HR 01 fits quite nicely with my standard hard drive rail mod:

HR01Side.jpg

HR01Angle.jpg

I would much rather have the eVGA card showing, but if I sell my old Core2Quad Xeon rig, I'll probably sell the MSI with it and putting it on the outside slot makes for easier removal.

CardSide.jpg

Benchmark Screenies:

38GhzStable.jpg

This is with hyperthreading enabled and BEFORE adding the second card. Once I added the second card she would not POST. I initially thought my power supply might not be up to snuff but after adjusting some voltages (mostly down) I was able to get back the 3.8 Ghz OC using 1.25 volts. I started to go for 4.0 Ghz, but it's not worth the additonal voltage and heat. I turned off HT for heat reason as well.

Vantage 23747:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=947870

3DMark06 23398:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=10550804

Last edited:
MassiveOverkill,

Question... The fan on the back of the case blows air in, and the fan attached to the HR 01 is pulling air away, correct?

Looks great!

Thanks Misterj,

I normally block off the rear vents, but left them open this time so the 70mm fan can suck air in from that area. The HR01 is pull air from inside the case, through the heatsink, and out the side panel, which I've also meshed this time as the Core i7 just puts out too much heat. Even at idle, the air coming off the heat sink is pretty warm.

The 120mm out back is sucking out if that was the fan you were referring to instead of the 70mm.

Last edited:
Nice overkill!!

Where are those motherboards sold at? I can't seem to find them.

Yeah, I found it on a few distributors sites as well...wish I was still selling them cause I can beat neweggs prices!

have you thought of water cooling? I bet those gpu's are heating up a bit. Would be nice in a system like that, maybe the cpu as well.

I would only do the CPU. I've done the GPU's before and it's a nightmare. The outer video card's temps are fine, the inner one suffers since it's crowded.

lmao all those amd fans in the first pic all over that intel build.:D that is a sweet rig u got there massive.

Thanks guys............Pharoah, I thought it was pretty funny having two AMD fans cool my Intel rig.

Last edited:
It's the new Core i7 revised edition...............kind of like how the GTX250 is just a super duper 9800GTX ;)

massive that has to be the best micro rig ive ever seen power wise.you should really consider entering that in the nvidia sli rig of the month contest.

Thanks Pharoah, I guess it couldn't hurt, but then Dworley, PVHK or one of the other ballas are going to stick dual 295's in theirs. :D

looks great massive.

How did you slide the MB tray in with the CPU heatsink on it?

I'm looking to get a heatsink/fan for my C2D that will fit in my Microfly (which was inspired by one of your last builds awhile back. :) )

If he's got a space heater, you've got a sauna. Amount of heat generated doesn't change whether it's mATX or ATX or a gigantoATX.

What bracket are you using to attache the HR-01 to the 1366 socket? I'm having some space issues and just ordered an Ultima 90. Hopefully that will fit. I didn't know the HR-01 would work with 1366.

The HR-01 comes with a 1366 bracket (well at least Performance-PC's included one). The Ultima 90 will not fit without the 1366 bracket, which you can buy seperately.

doesn't the asus rampage gene II also have lga 775 socket mounts? I ended up using the 1366 bracket as well, but i'm almost positive the board still has the old 775 holes.

It does, but because of the components close to the 775 holes, it eliminates many socket 775 mounting setups.

Is this supposed to be used for LAN parties or do you just use it as a semi-portable desktop or htpc machine?

It was built for LAN parties, but work pretty much killed that possibility, so it has become my semi-portable desktop. I have one at work that only has a single graphics card and is an older Quad Core.
This rig used to be identical to it so if I wanted to bring work home I just popped out my hard drives with my VMWares on them and popped em back into my home rig. I'm trying to get my work box upgraded again so they'll be identical (except for the graphics, which will still be single card).

My work rig gets toted around anytime I travel.

UPDATE: New Rig, mostly same parts, but got a D0 stepping up to 4.0 Ghz and replaced the GTX260's with eVGA 275's, 700w Silverstone SST 70F, OCZ XMP memory and added an Antec Spot Cool:

EVGASKEW.jpg

HSSIDEPANELOFF.jpg

ANTECSPOTCOOL.jpg

Very impressive and ultra clean.

I am running Corsair HX sereis (a 520 and a 620) in the two systems I built using the Microfly/Apevia/Chiefmax frame. It is a pain to fold all of the cables out fo the way even with the modular interface.

I may have to consider the Silverstone and the sort cable set when I (if) upgrade to an i5 from the 775 sockets (both dual cores).

Do you have any additional pictures you care to share?

Are you still running the Thermalright HR01?

What are the load temperatures with the installed heatsink?

Last edited:
Thanks setscrew.

That's pretty much all the pictures I have. Wiring for this rig is pretty much the same as the old. I stuffed all the wires between the 2.5" SSD hotswap (mounted in the floppy location) and the 3.5" hotswap bays (which is mounted in the topmost position) so there's a 5-1/4" bay in between them.

I'm still using the HR01+, but I took my old Ultima 90 and bought a 1366 bracket and placed it on my old C0 rig and the Ultima 90 actually cooled better, but the 90x38mm fan was screaming. I opted to keep the HR01+ for the new rig.

Load temp spikes at about 79C but stays around 75C during LinX.

Idle temps over my C0 dropped about 6-7C. Load temps are about the same.

This case looks about what I'd like for my HTPCs final case, do you know how much smaller that heatsink is than a TRUE? I'm wondering if this case will fit a TRUE.

If it would fit a TRUE, I'd have it in there. The power supply gets in the way. I'm doing yardwork today, but when I get a chance, I'll let you know the clearance between the HR01+ and the power supply.

Last edited:
Back