Windows 7's XP Mode Requirements

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Microsoft, Windows 7's XP Mode will require at least 2GB of memory and a processor that has true chip-level virtualization.

Microsoft is coming up with details about what hardware and licenses this will need. A CPU that has true chip-level virtualization from Intel or AMD. 2GB of RAM minimum. While XP Mode will be a free download for buyers of Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, and Windows 7 Ultimate, you will need a licensed copy of Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Don't most Intel and AMD retail offerings come with chip-level virtualization already? Is this to weed out those who are thinking of running VIA clusters? LOL.

Well that sucks. That just made this become far less usefull. So now you need to have 2 licenese per machine. :(

thats so gay..... so not only do you need a high-tier version of win 7 you need a licence of xp also... greedy...

So you need license for Windows XP which Microsoft isn't supposed to be selling anymore? Because we all know everyone has a spare OEM license sitting around. (okay well maybe I have like 5 but your average user or small business all have Retail licenses that came with there Dell etc that aren't transferable...)

well, no problem for me, but who really cares anyways? I haven't found a single program yet that I havne't been able to get working in vista/windows 7 beta...so i don't anticipate this is much of a big deal. It sure is getting a lot of press for a feature .001% of install base will use.

So, they are side-stepping the backward-compatibility problem with virtualization of some kind of XP kernel, but I have to wonder what integration problems that will lead to. Also, is chip-level virtualization required or just *recommended* for performance reasons? And finally, does this mean that they're integrating their OS virtualization (that vmware competitor) into the OS and using some sort of windows UI layer (RDP?) on top?

Or is this just WoW in a heavier sandbox?

This is just highly questionable all-around. They're adding a whole range of potential issues in order to simplify the backward-compatability requirement.

I still don't understand the point of this. Is it so you can run Windows XP software in Windows 7? Has it changed so much that there's going to be programs that won't install?

First off, this was made for businesses. It's not for the home user to run a non-Vista/7 compatible version of Quickbooks so they can save a few bucks on upgrading to the latest version.

That being said, it's obvious that Microsoft is working hard to lock it down to businesses only. It requires the business version of Windows 7, which is the largest block seeing as how you can't buy those any more. Businesses already have volume licenses of XP Pro that will be sitting around after upgrading to Windows 7, and I'm sure the idea is that they use the VLK XP in the virtual machines. This is another block to keep it limited to those who actually need it.

Like I said, this isn't made for home users. No one here will ever need to use it, and Microsoft is making sure no one except VLK business customers can use it. It's made for businesses that must use custom in-house software that was coded for Windows XP and IE6.

Don't most Intel and AMD retail offerings come with chip-level virtualization already?

The Q8xxx series does not have VT, which is exactly why the chips are so cheap. In contrast, the E8xxx series DOES have VT. It pisses me off that Intel had messed up the family cohesion between CPUs.

Also, 90% of the laptops sold have the T6400 or T6600 chip, both of which do not have VT.

So, most people that buy PCs right now will NOT be capable of using XP Mode.

They talking about Virtual Machine Extensions (Vanderpool) Supported and Virtual Mode Extension Supported?

I still don't understand the point of this. Is it so you can run Windows XP software in Windows 7? Has it changed so much that there's going to be programs that won't install?

Older software may have issues...and if it's having issues in Vista currently, then it will have issues in 7. So it's good for businesses still running older software either by choice or because its the only thing that can do what they need and it hasn't been updated in quite some time. The use for our enthusiast community is really not there, unless you want to run older games that wont run on Vista or 7...Manhunt and Midnight Club come to mind. I bought the Rockstar Pack on Steam awhile ago and haven't been able to play these games on Vista due to DEP errors. So if I choose, I'll finally be able to play them as long as it supports virtualized 3D...

. . .
Like I said, this isn't made for home users. No one here will ever need to use it, . . .

*Ahem*. I should point out that I have a few programs I would like to keep using but that only work under WinXP. Every workaround attempt I have seen on specific forums for them to work under Vista has failed.

Not the end of the world by any stretch, but just a point that there may be some of us who could use the option.

The licensing thing makes no sense because most businesses buy computers with OEM licenses and use a VLK to “upgrade” them. VLKs are sold as upgrades, not stand-alone licenses. Since OEM licenses are not transferable, only new systems with “retail” copies of Windows XP Professional can legally run the Windows XP Virtualization.

I was really looking forward to Windows 7 and this feature, but if they are gonna’ screw up the license like this, I will continue to plug along with the computers that I have…

The licensing thing makes no sense because most businesses buy computers with OEM licenses and use a VLK to “upgrade” them. VLKs are sold as upgrades, not stand-alone licenses. Since OEM licenses are not transferable, only new systems with “retail” copies of Windows XP Professional can legally run the Windows XP Virtualization.

I was really looking forward to Windows 7 and this feature, but if they are gonna’ screw up the license like this, I will continue to plug along with the computers that I have…

So humor an old noob here.

Does this mean that my ancient Win XP Pro Student version I've slipstreamed with SP3 won't work for this?

Or I should clarify it's probably a student OEM version - just came with disc and huge disc from University long ago.

*what the hell happened to the edit button?*

Yeah, Gizmodo failed to read their own source. Specifically the part where it says the XP license will be included for free.

So you need license for Windows XP which Microsoft isn't supposed to be selling anymore? Because we all know everyone has a spare OEM license sitting around. (okay well maybe I have like 5 but your average user or small business all have Retail licenses that came with there Dell etc that aren't transferable...)

They are too transferable. I have used quite a few license stickers that were originally on DELL computers.

The OEM CD has a volume license key that is tied to DELL BIOSes. The license key on the sticker will work for whatever retail version of XP (HOME/PROFESSIONAL) came on the DELL computer.

This thing about needing an XP license seems to be directly contradicted by a pretty reputable/in-the-know source for all things Windows:

So why is XP Mode a big deal? It’s not the technology, it’s the licensing. For Windows Vista, Microsoft allows customers running Enterprise edition under a volume license to run up to four virtual machines with the same Windows license (downgrade rights mean the VM can run an earlier version of Windows like XP Professional). Everyone else (yes, I’m looking at the entire small business sector here), you need to buy a separate XP license to run in that VM. That’s a lot of money to pay just to run one incompatible app.

For Windows 7, Microsoft has removed that objection. If you buy Windows 7 Professional, you get the right to download and use a licensed copy of XP, neatly packaged in a VHD and ready to run in the XP Mode environment. I haven’t tested it myself (”too early for beta,” I’m told), but it sounds like the integration with Windows 7 is slick. (Those who are interested in the gory technical details, go read Rafael Rivera’s breakdown in Windows XP Mode Internals). If you only want to run a single XP VM on Windows, this sounds like it will be a lot easier than using a full-featured virtualization package like Virtual Box or VMWare.

Wait a minute. Vista 7's "XP Mode" comes *with* a fully licensed XP to run your xp-only software on. That's what it seems to say if you dig down through all the blogs to the real articles.

They are too transferable. I have used quite a few license stickers that were originally on DELL computers.

The OEM CD has a volume license key that is tied to DELL BIOSes. The license key on the sticker will work for whatever retail version of XP (HOME/PROFESSIONAL) came on the DELL computer.

Wrong, Just because you can do something, does mean you're allowed to do it under the license terms. For an individual, it's not a big deal, but for a business, licensing becomes a huge concern.

A branded OEM XP disc has a generic key that is provided to dell for all their systems, but it is not VLK. There's just a script that pre-activates the installation using a license file and a code embedded in the BIOS. That said, the key on the side of the machine will not work for retail CD of XP. It will only work on generic OEM versions of the disc for the specific edition you're installing..

:rolleyes:

Shameless plug much? Nice rant on Microsoft in your blog :rolleyes:

2. The Self-Promoter

The Self-Promoter is a message board classic: This bore meanders across the Web, leaving thinly disguised comments designed to pimp his own project. Sometimes, he'll take a stab at making the promotion look incidental: "Man, that new iPhone software does look rad! You should check out my blog about Windows Mobile here!" But just as often, he'll ditch the preamble and launch straight into the link without even trying to tie it to the subject at hand.
:D

Yeah, Gizmodo failed to read their own source. Specifically the part where it says the XP license will be included for free.

Yah, I think they screwed up there, or misunderstood what they read. It still sounds to me after reading that they linked to that you do "need' a licensed copy of XP, however that will be included as part of the bundle back. So you get a licensed copy for free.

Ok, so it is back to being a good thing again.

May 5th is when RC1 goes out, and this XP mode is suppose to be released as a beta some time around there too. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it works.

Yah, I think they screwed up there, or misunderstood what they read. It still sounds to me after reading that they linked to that you do "need' a licensed copy of XP, however that will be included as part of the bundle back. So you get a licensed copy for free.

Ok, so it is back to being a good thing again.

May 5th is when RC1 goes out, and this XP mode is suppose to be released as a beta some time around there too. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it works.

April 30th for those with Technet or MSDN
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/04/24/windows-7-release-candidate-update.aspx

Or I should clarify it's probably a student OEM version - just came with disc and huge disc from University long ago.

*what the hell happened to the edit button?*

I think technically, if you purchased Windows 7 Business, you could probably run virtualization with out a license. I don’t see Microsoft putting any restrictions on it asking you for a disc or a key; that would be beyond retarded! If the license is as described, it would almost certainly require you to have a “transferable” Windows XP Professional license to use virtualization legally. OEM licenses are generally NOT transferable from one system to another; that’s why Microsoft requires manufacturers to affix a “self destruct” COA to the side of the cases. Also, VLK licenses are sold as “upgrades” for qualifying products. Yes, OEM licenses qualify you for a VLK. Honestly, the license structure is pretty screwy; Microsoft has dedicated license support departments for this very reason.

As for the OEM/VLK you’ve obtained from your school, it depends on the license agreement Microsoft has/had with them. Really large businesses and educational facilities can sometimes negotiate or customize their license agreement a little. It’s possible that the copy you are using is not “legit” anymore. Also, it depends if the school has an open ended license; that’s an entirely different animal.

thats so gay..... so not only do you need a high-tier version of win 7 you need a license of xp also... greedy...

Exactly.:mad:

Why not just run Vmware with any version of Windows you want, and on chip virtualization is not required either,

Thanks MS for ruining a good news announcement from yesterday with the follow-up today.

well, no problem for me, but who really cares anyways? I haven't found a single program yet that I havne't been able to get working in vista/windows 7 beta...so i don't anticipate this is much of a big deal. It sure is getting a lot of press for a feature .001% of install base will use.

Jasper, in my work several programs require XP or XP Pro even, and 32bit to be able to run. Handling it now with VMs.

Back