What is the best monitor color calibration device/software out there for the money?

fusionrs

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a 2408WFP and a 2407WFP.

I understand that some calibration devices have issues with the 2408WFP as it is a "wide-gamut" display.

You didn't specify a budget, so I assume sky's the limit. In that case you want a system like the $900 i1Basic which comes with a hardware spectrophotometer (instead of a colorimeter).

Why would I choose this over the Spyder3Pro?
No reason at all. I don't like Datacolor as a company, so I don't recommend their products. However, since my problem with Datacolor has nothing to do with your question, don't let me discourage you from trying out the Spyder3.

+1 for Eyeone Display 2. People have reported better results. It's a better product. The discontinued optix with the DTP94 sensor is an ideal, but discontinued and hard to fine.

The DTP94 was a good colorimeter. However, since it is discontinued it doesn't have much in terms of driver support.

For the price, the Eye One Display 2 is good.

+1 for the iOne Display 2. I bought one last year and I am happy with it, because it is easy to setup and use and it gets good results.

Dave

The Eye One Display 2 works better with wide gamut monitors, as well as being better for tracking black levels. It is the defacto standard for all of the best consumer-level calibration suites like BasicColor Squid, Lacie Blue Eye Pro, and Spectraview II for NEC monitors.

You can look on TFTcentral.co.uk they have reviews on them, and they didn't rate the Spyder3 that highly.

You won't regret getting the Eye One D2.

I have the i1 Display 2. Works great, the included software is easy to use, it is fine for crt/lcd/HiGamut lcd/laptop-lcds and plasma tv / projector with the use of 3rd party software. Yeah and if it is good enough for LaCie and NEC to include with their calibration suites, it is fine for most people.

The Spyder 3 on the other hand while being tons better than the Spyder2 still isn't rated as well by most users.

Sorry for bumping the old thread. Almost three years have passed, so something should have changed in the market. What about Spyder4Pro? I have purchased it recently and so far the results seem quite good with my wide gamut U2410. But if i1Display 2 is still superior, I may consider buying it sometime in the future. What's the word?

Sorry for bumping the old thread. Almost three years have passed, so something should have changed in the market. What about Spyder4Pro? I have purchased it recently and so far the results seem quite good with my wide gamut U2410. But if i1Display 2 is still superior, I may consider buying it sometime in the future. What's the word?

The i1 Display Pro aka the i1 Display 3 is the way to go. Pretty brand new hardware, only launched a few months ago and it works great. It is very fast, exceedingly accurate, doing better than a number of more expensive solutions, and has good support for modern wide gamut stuff.

I'm pleased as can be with mine.

The i1 Display Pro aka the i1 Display 3 is the way to go. Pretty brand new hardware, only launched a few months ago and it works great. It is very fast, exceedingly accurate, doing better than a number of more expensive solutions, and has good support for modern wide gamut stuff.

I'm pleased as can be with mine.

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.de/X-Rite-EODIS3-...BQOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335008625&sr=8-1

It's considerably more expensive than Spyder4Pro (at least here in Europe), but if it's really worth it, I may consider buying it. I especially need better wide gamut support. Argyll CMS used with Spyder4Pro gives fairly good results, but I feel this monitor (U2410) can do better than that. This i1Display Pro may be just the thing I need.

Many thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ya that's it. I can't say personally if it is better than the Spyder, but everything I've read says that for the price, it just can't be beat. I can say that it is very fast and works nice with all the monitors I've had it look at.

X-Rite just seems to make better calibration hardware than Datacolor. Also it has the benefit of being brand new tech. Curt Palme seems to really like it and they are a high end projector shop that deals in multi-thousand dollar meters. According to them, the i1 Pro is the best meter you can get for under a grand. They stopped selling basically anything else under $1k on account of it being so much better.

It's considerably more expensive than Spyder4Pro (at least here in Europe),
In this case you can also try to get the new Quato Silver Haze 3 bundle (iColor Display + OEM i1 Display Pro).

Best regards

Denis

In this case you can also try to get the new Quato Silver Haze 3 bundle (iColor Display + OEM i1 Display Pro).

Is that software really worth the extra money this bundle costs? What are the benefits compared to the X-Rite's native software or Argyll CMS/dispcalGUI combo?

Back