Vista refuses to remember my aero visual effects settings

ynnek888

Limp Gawd
I just noticed, Vista x64 home premium stopped remembering my aero visual effect settings. I like to disable "animate windows when min and maximizing".. I can still turn it off, but when I logoff, and log back on, its reset to enabled again!

only thing i can think of are perhaps these new nvidia drivers 186.18 whql that I installed. I tried to uninstall them through control panel, remove programs uninstalled, and got blue screen on one of the nvidia looking dll's... Then the drivers never fully install after that, anyways long story short on that part, I did a system restore and back to square one again.

anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Solved!
Short answer: This how you get it to stick with your normal user account(non admin). This way is different because it DOES NOT make you go through UAC and log in with your admin credentials. Thus the setting sticks to your local user account(non admin) when you log out and back in.

Click on the Start Menu and key in SystemPropertiesPerformance and then press the <Enter> key.

Last edited:
Either your profile (user settings) has gotten corrupted or the nvidia drivers (and the subsequent removal/installation) has caused more than a bsod.

well, it was happening before the BSOD on uninstalling the driver.... I tried to uninstall the driver thinking that was the last thing I remember doing before my profiles got screwed up.

So, any suggestions on the best way to repair my user profile? Or am I just better of creating another user and moving everything over? Ugh.

If a user profile gets screwed over then creating a new one is about the only sensible thing to do.

long story short, the new account behaves the same way.

Did SP2 change the behavior of the advanced settings a normal user can change? I notice when I go to system -> advanced system settings it makes me go as admin, to make the settings.. I'm wondering if its actually saving the settings under admin user, instead of my normal user? My admin account remembers it just fine, but then again, i don't have to login as admin to do that.

I'll live with it for now.. but its annoying.

You could also try removing the video driver, running something like DriveCleaner, and then installing the latest driver again. Anytime I've had this issue, it's been due to remnants of the old driver being present on the system.

long story short, the new account behaves the same way.

Did SP2 change the behavior of the advanced settings a normal user can change? I notice when I go to system -> advanced system settings it makes me go as admin, to make the settings.. I'm wondering if its actually saving the settings under admin user, instead of my normal user? My admin account remembers it just fine, but then again, i don't have to login as admin to do that.

I'll live with it for now.. but its annoying.

Normal(standard) users were never able to change advance system settings (i.e. Visual Effects) system wide. You need to be logged in as the default Administrator to apply Visual Effects changes.

This information would have helped in troubleshooting, but we should have asked just as well.

Normal(standard) users were never able to change advance system settings (i.e. Visual Effects) system wide. You need to be logged in as the default Administrator to apply Visual Effects changes.

This information would have helped in troubleshooting, but we should have asked just as well.

Yea, but its still not applying to my normal user account.. I've set them (before by logging in as admin through UAC) and had it stick for my normal user account and my admin account. Its just recently I noticed they don't stick anymore for my user account. I can't pinpoint exactly when though unfortunately.

Can any confirm that they can log in as a normal user, change remove the animate tag on min and max (after loging through admin with UAC), log out the normal user, then log back into the normal user and check if that setting sticks?

Solved!

Login with my normal user account(non admin) Hit start, search on SystemPropertiesPerformance and run that.

The interesting part is, UAC DOES NOT prompt you to switch over to your admin account if you do it this way. I turned off animate min max, and now the setting sticks when I log out and log back in!

Before, going through computer ->properties, advanced system settings to change this, UAC would make me log in through my admin account. You can change it, but it resets itself when you log out and log back in on the normal user account. My admin account however would have it turned off.

I don't remember hopping through this hoop before.. I wonder if SP2 changed something.

Back