NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

adamj023

Limp Gawd
Looks like IPS beat out cPVA in image quality for me.

Therefore the NEC will be the 1st 23" IPS on the market.

Anyone know what pricing will be like?

Dell is a 22". Nec is a better monitor maker IMHO and will have a 23" IPS. Now it all depends on the price on this one.

Looks like IPS beat out cPVA in image quality for me.

Therefore the NEC will be the 1st 23" IPS on the market.

Anyone know what pricing will be like?

Dell is a 22". Nec is a better monitor maker IMHO and will have a 23" IPS. Now it all depends on the price on this one.

The NEC MultiSync EA231WMi will be available from October 2009 in black or silver/white for unannounced price yet. And in what markets . . .

Tim

USA for sure.

It looks like I'll order this one. I can't wait any longer. I looked at all of them from A to Z.

This one looks like the only 23" IPS and NEC makes excellent highly rated monitors with top panels on the high end.

NEC is a very good quality firm. If price is resonable I'll get this one in all probability. With IPS i dont see how it can do poor in reviews.

USA for sure.

It looks like I'll order this one. I can't wait any longer. I looked at all of them from A to Z.

This one looks like the only 23" IPS and NEC makes excellent highly rated monitors with top panels on the high end.

NEC is a very good quality firm. If price is resonable I'll get this one in all probability. With IPS i dont see how it can do poor in reviews.

The early reviews are from EU sources, so it may be EU only, as NEC Display US is not interested in any of the newer "PROSUMER" models that are out in the EU such as the NEC Display US will not bring in the MultiSync 24WMGX³ either.

Tim

EA221WM is USA and EA241WM is USA.

EA231WMi I would hope is USA. If its not then NEC loses a sale and I don't buy till a 23" IPS comes out, what can I say.

I am almost certain it will be USA. They will get strong sales on this model.

EA221WM is USA and EA241WM is USA.

EA231WMi I would hope is USA. If its not then NEC loses a sale and I don't buy till a 23" IPS comes out, what can I say.

I am almost certain it will be USA. They will get strong sales on this model.

Sorry to disappoint, IT WILL BE EU ONLY, see below URL (no similar press releases for any US site) - Seems like UK and DE will be first in the EU mix to receive this one.

http://www.nec-display-solutions.co...009/Products/LCD/EA231WMi/EA231WMi/index.html

You could always import yourself, or just take six and half-hour flight (from the East Coast) to Frankfurt am Main Airport (IATA: FRA, ICAO: EDDF), known in German as Flughafen Frankfurt am Main or Rhein-Main-Flughafen, buy one, toss in overhead bin, and return.

Tim

NEC is scared of Dell for the IPS panels? Makes no sense.

I really don't see why it wouldn't be released to the USA. A 23" IPS panel in the USA would get loads of sales just like the Dell 2209WA does for the 22" line.

I wrote to NEC for their official response. A lot of products get introduced on international websites before they make it to the USA. Business is global nowadays.

If there is a trend of Europe getting better display technologies than the USA, then I wonder why this would occur. I hope this is not the case.

If NEC skips the USA market with this monitor, then I guess I'll be going with another vendor for a 23" IPS. What can I say. Nothing is known yet since the monitor wont even be out till October.

I was excited because it said 23" IPS and it came from a Quality Maker, NEC and so I wanted this one. It wont be out till October at any rate so what happens, happens. I just follow the markets. I don't control them.

No need to fly to Europe or to import. For that price I can get the 24" NEC's. The 23" NEC filled a gap because it would have had a lower price point, had full HD, and be a full 1" bigger than the Dell with a Quality maker.

If not, then I will wait to see if Dell has a 23" IPS or another maker to the USA market.

Last month I emailed NEC asking if they had a 22" IPS. Then I saw they announced a 23" which I realize now makes more sense because of the layout and size but alas NEC can do what it pleases.

I will see what crop of models are out come year end and if there is something then of interest I will buy.

If this 23" IPS NEC does come to the USA, it will be heavily considered.

Last edited:
Both are TN monitors, so they do not contradict with Tim's conjecture that NEC US is not interested in bringing in new higher-end models.

See press release link, NEC DE seems to state IPS, a "typo"?

http://www.nec-display-solutions.co...009/Products/LCD/EA231WMi/EA231WMi/index.html

First 23” 16:9 LCD with IPS panel – NEC MultiSync® EA231WMi

Munich, 16 July 2009 – NEC Display Solutions will be launching the first 23” screen with IPS technology in 16:9 format in autumn 2009. The MultiSync® EA231WMi combines excellent image quality in high resolution (full HD) with low energy consumption and its wide screen format enhances productivity. Another innovation for NEC desktop displays is the DisplayPort interface for future-proof digital connectivity. Priced at a similar level as conventional 19“ or wide 22“ models it offers more display area to work with several applications at the same time. The monitor comes with TCO 5.0 certification and is therefore ideally suited for professional use.

With IPS technology the EA231WMi offers outstanding viewing angle and image stability which will be appreciated by all office users. Alongside its high-quality panel technology and award-winning design, the MultiSync® EA231WMi also provides all the technical benefits of the EA series. These include integrated speakers, 110mm height adjustment and pivot as well as a USB hub. Additional environmental protection is achieved by an ambient light sensor for optimum screen brightness and energy usage at all times. The display features the latest Energy Star 5.0 and TCO 5.0 certification, with TCO 5.0 being one of the world’s highest standards for ergonomics and environmental friendliness. This makes the EA231WMi the perfect office monitor from an ecological, economic and ergonomic point of view.

Availability
The NEC MultiSync® EA231WMi will be available from October 2009 in black or silver/white.

Tim

No its not a typo. Various places show the IPS panel on this monitor.

And remember all specs are always subject to change with any vendor. Some monitors have IPS on early ones and move to PVA.

Seems like everyone here is just speculating, there is no real facts other than a 23" IPS is being introduced. And my gutt says it will be sold in the USA.

By year end we will all know. No need to argue or discuss stuff we have no control over.

True. Talk amongst yourselfs. I didn't mean to spoil the fun.

I'll get the official info from NEC or when the product is released. :)

But yes this NEC is one of those on my radar screen.

I don't know about you guys but I would prefer a 24" 16:9 rather than a 23". A 23 incher is barely taller than a 20" 16:10 lcd.
Which is what I have right now (NEC 20WMGX2). If I upgraded to that new NEC I would gain about 25% more screen space, don't know if that would be
a worthy upgrade...

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys but I would prefer a 24" 16:9 rather than a 23". A 23 incher is barely taller than a 20" 16:10 lcd.
Which is what I have right now (NEC 20WMGX2). If I upgraded to that new NEC I would gain about 25% more screen space, don't know if that would be
a worthy upgrade...

I'll take the dpi of a 23" 1920x1200 panel over a 24" any day.

a worthy upgrade...

Boy, a lot of people sure get confused quickly trying to keep aspect ratios and pixel counts in mind at the same time.

Upgrading to this 23" or another 24" 1920x1080 16:9 will get you the same increase in pixels, or is size all that matters to you? Extra size without extra pixels is just the same picture but larger (with more easily discerned individual pixels and screen door effect).

Of course I'm personally in the camp that simply doesn't understand in these days of digital, fixed-resolution PC->monitor links (unlike the CRT days) why anyone prefers 1920x1080 16:9 over 1920x1200 16:10 *for use on a PC*. Both formats have the horizontal and vertical pixels to reproduce full HD pixel-for-pixel without distortion but only the latter gives you more usable pixels and content you can display when not watching 16:9 entertainment content.

But that's just me, it seems. I've heard all kinds of crazy rationalizations.

To be strictly on topic, more IPS options are a good thing. Hopefully it comes to pass in North America.

But from the sounds of it, isn't this new NEC IPS gonna feature HD 1080p resolution?

Munich, 16 July 2009 – NEC Display Solutions will be launching the first 23” screen with IPS technology in 16:9 format in autumn 2009.

Boy, a lot of people sure get confused quickly trying to keep aspect ratios and pixel counts in mind at the same time.

Upgrading to this 23" or another 24" 1920x1080 16:9 will get you the same increase in pixels, or is size all that matters to you? Extra size without extra pixels is just the same picture but larger (with more easily discerned individual pixels and screen door effect).

Oh no, I'm not confused at all. I was talking strictly about physical size. The dpi is not of much concern to me. I can go from using a 1920 x 1200 17" laptop to a 1280 x 1024 19" lcd and not be bothered by the size of the pixels.

A 1080p 24" 16:9 lcd would still have a higher dpi than a 22" 16:10 and only slightly less than a 24 inch 16:10 display, which is fine with me.

But yeah I agree that 16:10 is better overall than 16:9. I'd take that LG 24" eIPS lcd over this new NEC in a heartbeat.

Dem what's the chances of bringing a monitor as carry on or otherwise on a plane? I've got relatives coming from EU in several months! I've been itching to replace the 20wmgx2 for a while now mostly based on wanting larger panel.

Hehe, I move a lot (study abroad) and I was checking that. The physical dimensions of the 23" monitor should be smaller than the maximum physical dimensions of the carry-in luggage allowed ;-) Other than security thinking you're a weirdo, I don't think it would be a problem.

This looks like a great unit and is pretty much what I've been searching for (23" 1080p nonTN). Looks like the only mistake they made (so far) is no hdmi input, yet the screen has built in speakers (notwithstanding the displayport). Oh well, I guess since I'm in NA it doesn't matter!

Some new pics not shown in this thread, which make this thing look nice and professional but not boring:

http://www.guru3d.com/news/nec-multisync-ea231wmi-23-inch-16ips-panel-/

http://www.itechnews.net/2009/07/18/nec-multisync-ea231wmi-lcd-display-with-ips-panel/

Last edited:
Hehe, I move a lot (study abroad) and I was checking that. The physical dimensions of the 23" monitor should be smaller than the maximum physical dimensions of the carry-in luggage allowed ;-) Other than security thinking you're a weirdo, I don't think it would be a problem.

It might be, from some countries the presence of a HDMI interface classifies it as a TV, and such import have huge import fees, but since this does not have have an HDMI interface you should be OK.

Tim

How anyone can release a 1080P 'full HD' monitor without HDMI in this day and age would be beyond stupid. It better have HDMI, DVI, VGA, in addition to that Displayport.

The good thing is at least we got some IPS screen coming they where rare in last
few years i'm sick of overrated S-PVA/PVA keep the IPS coming!! <3
that will cut the price so we could all enjoy some (really) nice screens.

I'm one of those who think that the only good panels in LCDs is IPS.

How anyone can release a 1080P 'full HD' monitor without HDMI in this day and age would be beyond stupid. It better have HDMI, DVI, VGA, in addition to that Displayport.

Maybe because you can simply plug HDMI to DVI port?

The only reason why you would actually need HDMI is if the monitor had good built in speakers or could send the audio to some audio output port (some monitors do). But that's extra electronics that would increase the cost. Otherwise, there is simply no point.

Why the hell would they need HDMI without spearkers to use it, or an audio out? DVI is the same thing as HDMI without the audio carrier.

This monitor has speakers built in. Thus, the lack of HDMI would be semi-retarded.

This monitor has speakers built in. Thus, the lack of HDMI would be semi-retarded.

Firstly, if the DVI port is dual-link, then there's your "HDMI" right there. The extra pins will be used to send audio.

Secondly, if you're stupid enough to use the built-in speakers on your monitor for ANYTHING, you deserve whatever ear cancer you get.

What is surprising?

Don't you know how this kitchen works?

Popular Recipe

Ingredients:
standard resolution 1920x1200 monitor
1080p "Full HD" label

Directions:
Take the monitor. Cut off a good piece.
Stick the label on the rest of it.

Enjoy the revolutionary product!

If the whole monitor did not have HDMI with no problem, why the cropped remains of it should have?

Sorry, this might be my ignorance here, but I'm not sure how a DVI dual-link port can easily be used to send audio. I can't imagine it wouldn't be without adapters, special hardware and some weird configuration on an otherwise HDMI output enabled device. The whole point of an HDMI connection is to simplify this all into one a/v cable.

With respect to the statement that people would be stupid to use the built in speakers for "ANYTHING", I think this is a pretty unreasonable position to take. For many people in an office environment, for example, all they need is basic speakers to hear vmails in outlook, watch youtube over lunch, etc, without separate speakers and wiremess. Audiophile speakers are not required for that. There are other people who need IPS for home needs, but are not gamers/multimedia enthusiasts who would also benefit. At any rate, as it turns out, the EA series in NEC's product line are marketed for corporate office environments. It would be the likely that basic audio is the purpose of these speakers. Since they are there, why not maximize their value by adding HDMI input?

At any rate, the final model in Oct may have better inputs and this is all speculation.

Last edited:
Sorry, this might be my ignorance here, but I'm not sure how a DVI dual-link port can easily be used to send audio. I can't imagine it wouldn't be without adapters, special hardware and some weird configuration on an otherwise HDMI output enabled device. The whole point of an HDMI connection is to simplify this all into one a/v cable.

With respect to the statement that people would be stupid to use the built in speakers for "ANYTHING", I think this is a pretty unreasonable position to take. For many people in an office environment, for example, all they need is basic speakers to hear vmails in outlook, watch youtube over lunch, etc, without separate speakers and wiremess. Audiophile speakers are not required for that. There are other people who need IPS for home needs, but are not gamers/multimedia enthusiasts who would also benefit. At any rate, as it turns out, the EA series in NEC's product line are marketed for corporate office environments. It would be the likely that basic audio is the purpose of these speakers. Since they are there, why not maximize their value by adding HDMI input?

At any rate, the final model in Oct may have better inputs and this is all speculation.

DVI and HDMI are electrically compatible, so if the monitor were to take audio through DVI it would actually take it through the single link connection. HDMI sends audio over the same pins it sends video. I doubt the monitor has this capability, but if it does it allows NEC to provide full HDMI compatibility without paying HDMI royalties.

In an office environment they would just use a line-in minijack like every other business since time immemorial. Most offices won't have boards with HDMI output for a while.

What is surprising?
If the whole monitor did not have HDMI with no problem, why the cropped remains of it should have?

True, but this is a new product, aimed at a different audience.
An audience looking for "FullHD" displays just to watch movies.

Which is the "whole monitor" model? surely can't be the 2490 which sells with a price tag three times as much ..

Moreover, this is the first NEC that sports a display port.

On a second note..
IMHO all wide gamut monitors ought to have a display port that accepts 30bit signal, and all vga manufacturers ought to clarify which models support 30bit output from their display port cards..

Which is the "whole monitor" model? surely can't be the 2490 which sells with a price tag three times as much ..
So EA231WMi will go for 1/3 the price of 2490WUXi? Given the 2490 is now available from a reputable retailer for < $1K in the U.S., that would be great news indeed!

Maybe because you can simply plug HDMI to DVI port?

The only reason why you would actually need HDMI is if the monitor had good built in speakers or could send the audio to some audio output port (some monitors do). But that's extra electronics that would increase the cost. Otherwise, there is simply no point.

And the only reason to need DisplayPort is... oh wait, it's just the same digital signal in a totally incompatible format so that computer manufacturers didn't have to pay 2 cents extra per product for an HDMI license.

HDMI isn't pointless just because you don't use the audio part. It is essentially displayport + the option to carry audio. What does that make displayport? An idiotic redundancy. Like component vs VGA, like Optical vs SPDIF. Cable fun.

And the only reason to need DisplayPort is... oh wait, it's just the same digital signal in a totally incompatible format so that computer manufacturers didn't have to pay 2 cents extra per product for an HDMI license.

HDMI isn't pointless just because you don't use the audio part. It is essentially displayport + the option to carry audio. What does that make displayport? An idiotic redundancy. Like component vs VGA, like Optical vs SPDIF. Cable fun.

Ummm, not really (though I'm pretty sure you know this already, so I don't know why I'm bothering to repy).

The biggest differences between DisplayPort and HDMI (that I know of) is that 1). DisplayPort is far easier to update than HDMI. DP would only require a firmware flash, whereas HDMI requires a hardware upgrade for any new features. 2). DisplayPort has the ability to handle multiple independent video streams over a single cable. 3). The auxiliary data channel that would support things like USB, cameras or microphones without any additional cables.

So its not just about signal incompatibility since HDMI can't do any of those things. The fact that you have some pretty influential names like Intel, Nvidia, AMD/ATI, Apple, ASUS, and Samsung all supporting it probably means they think that DisplayPort has something pretty significant to offer (Intel dropped their own alternative to HDMI in favor of DisplayPort in fact).

And besides, its not as if this monitor ONLY has DisplayPort on it. You have the DVI port that should be capable of passing-through audio if your video card supports it (ATI's entire HD4000-series does, for example). So I'm not sure why the mere presence of a DP port would set somebody off.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by Optical vs. SPDIF? Optical is the physical medium, SPDIF is a standard used to transmit data over that medium. So what exactly does that have to do with redundant standards?

Yep, seems many people still don't understand DisplayPort (not surprising I guess). It acts as both the external AND internal interface to the screen, removing the need for LVDS (assuming a monitor with pure DisplayPort, this one also has DVI and so is not).

As King of Heroes said DisplayPort supports more than audio, it basically supports any kind of packet data, and that can all be 2-way. Very cool.

The bottom line is when we start getting DisplayPort-only screens they will be cheaper, thinner, and maybe lower lag as well, because DisplayPort is a direct interface to the panel. Just wish the 2490wuxi2 had DP input on it, but at least this is a sign NEC is getting on board.

Back