Open-Source Cameras: Should Nikon and Canon be Worried?

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Scientists at Stanford have cobbled together a “Frankencamera,” which allows features like focus, shutter speed, & exposure to be controlled by software. The premise of the project is to build an open source camera that removes the limitations imposed by pre-installed software on current cameras.

Graduate student Andrew Adams imagines a future where users could download applications to their digital cameras in a similar way as they currently download programs for the iPhone today. All of this could become possible as early as next year if the camera’s operating system is made publicly available.

That's great.

Lots of times I wish I had the option to change the focus on my camera and save it as a preset so I don't have to refocus when I turn on my camera and wanna take a picture right away of something really close, really far, etc. My camera allows me to save things like ISO, shutter speed, colors, etc. but not the focus distance.

That's great.

Lots of times I wish I had the option to change the focus on my camera and save it as a preset so I don't have to refocus when I turn on my camera and wanna take a picture right away of something really close, really far, etc. My camera allows me to save things like ISO, shutter speed, colors, etc. but not the focus distance.

Most DSLR's already have something like this, it's called the "manual focus" option.

They could make all kinds of templates and settings that could be stored on a second sd card.

I doubt they are worried.

The cameras where these things really matter are DSLRs and the mirror/physical shutter system on them is the limit, not the software.

It might shake things up a bit in the point and shoot market, but if its just software, it wouldn't be hard for either maker to enable those features on their cameras.

If they manage to nail the software, it's the mater of time before one of these open source camera can adapt lens from all manufactures. Which eliminates the need to follow a single camera system.

Most DSLR's already have something like this, it's called the "manual focus" option.

That makes your camera-fu weak in the eyes of some.

A totally upgradeable camera down to customizable firmware would be overkill for people needing a dumb camera, but it would can be very economical comparing to a DSLR...

now, whether or not if you'd OC your open source camera just because you can?

now, whether or not if you'd OC your open source camera just because you can?

What about the 1st virus that will add pr0n to your SDHC card whenever it's online? Wait, that might be feature for some of you. Ok, a lot of you. ;)

Oh damn, really interesting. I really wish this grows up more. Just imagine template setting from professionals depending on what you want to take a picture of. Like, lets say you like to take pictures of your computer case, in the middle of the day, but you want them to look professional. Just download the "PC Case - MidDay" template, and bingo!, awesome pictures of computer cases, as long as it's mid day. Every time! Now, that would be awesome.

maybe eventually it'll give em a run for their money, but for now Nikon and Cannon far outpace what people in their parents basements can hack out

tubular, so you equate "Scientists at Stanford" with "people in their parents basements"? Just wondering.

Back