Tons of fun, retro OC 1.58GHz Tualatin

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
I been working on a new rig, something at least sort of modern. I have a worklog going at http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1577248

Anyway, with the new system starting to feel like it is really happening I went nuts on my sig rig. I recapped it, fitted a Thermalright SLK-900a I scored on Ebay for $0.99 plus shipping and a stick of 6ns TONICOM.

Long story short, 151MHz FSB for 1.58GHz with 2,2,2,6 timings, it can take max volts and is running cooler than ever before.

this cap was the worst, doesn't look so bad in the pic but several were bulging

I digikeyed all new electrolytics, went up a notch in voltage rating in all cases, and up a notch in capacitance if I could get them in the same diameter...which was almost all of them.

This diode had to go to fit the SLK-900, I have another TUV4X board that does not have this diode mounted so I felt fairly secure deleting it, it works so I guess I was right

All new caps mounted. I consider myself a pretty competent technician but I have to say, this board was a bitch to recap. Do not attempt this unless you know what you are doing or can afford to brick the board. Lapped Tualatin-S 1.4 and SLK-900 ready for TIM.

Most pampered PIII in North America? You tell me.

fun stuff

Very nice. That's your main machine? Old school.

Oh and Digikey is awesome. :p

yeah...budget you know, got a lappy for work with a core 2 duo in it but until the teraractyl is done this thing is the hottest tower in the house, sad, I know. It is our audio server and folds 24/7...runs ubuntu studio 9.

the recap? about 2.5 hours.

I did fuck a trace between the NB and the AGP slot and had to patch that under the microscope...major PITA

I can't even stand using a soldering iron for 10 minutes doing simple things, I couldn't possibly spend 2 and a half hours recapping a mobo! I'm sure it was worth it though, bringing back old school goodness!

Awesome, I thought my Xclio 550watt was a bit much for my PIII-S 1.4GHz :)

I've recapped just a few P3 boards recently, it is a pain with just an iron! I have a pile of S370 and Socket A to go through. I have access to a desoldering gun which I plan to use once I get all the caps ordered.

I should post pics of mine, I have 2 PIII-S builds currently, waiting on a beige case to look more authentic late 90's early 00's while the other build is in a black ThermalTake V3 case.

Good to see you got that Tonicom. After your WTB thread I got my KingMax 150mhz. My Via 694T mobos don't like running running CL2 for some reason. I even bought a bunch of Crucial PC133MHz CL2 sticks and the mobo's don't care for the latency! My i815EP chipset likes the crucial just fine but haven't tested the kingmax on it yet. No OC on either machine (gonna get boo'ed probably).

007wfs.jpg
Lol,the new definition of overkill.

You should try to hunt down a pair of original IBM 75GXP Deathstars and RAID-0 them to truly relive those golden days. :D

Back