Silicon Valley’s Youth Problem

HardOCP News

[H] News
Did you know Silicon Valley has a youth problem? Don't feel bad, no one else did either. ;)

The backlash in recent months against the self-involvement and frivolity of the new guard has actually been a long time coming. Instagram photos of opulent tech holiday parties have been lambasted, Google buses blockaded.

Looks like the debate from the 1980s-90s with old crusty guys from IBM/Microsoft bitching at the new & innovative kids from Apple (and now Google) etc.

Both styles work, and neither get along. Just stick with the environment you like and move on.

Interesting article.
It is the new cycle of boom and bust for tech.

I'll just enjoy the view from the server room. lol

Looks like the debate from the 1980s-90s with old crusty guys from IBM/Microsoft bitching at the new & innovative kids from Apple (and now Google) etc.

Both styles work, and neither get along. Just stick with the environment you like and move on.

I would say that current tech has adopted more of the concept of throwing everything and anything at the wall and see what sticks. Back in the day you had to have a seriously solid idea to get the funding and be willing to take the risk. As the cost of creating a startup decreases and things like Kickstarter allow for higher risk funding you get a lot more junk being created that blooms and dies before most people ever hear of it. These apps and games become more like fads than lasting products. They rise to dizzying heights and then as the fad moves on they crash to new lows.

I would say that current tech has adopted more of the concept of throwing everything and anything at the wall and see what sticks. Back in the day you had to have a seriously solid idea to get the funding and be willing to take the risk. As the cost of creating a startup decreases and things like Kickstarter allow for higher risk funding you get a lot more junk being created that blooms and dies before most people ever hear of it. These apps and games become more like fads than lasting products. They rise to dizzying heights and then as the fad moves on they crash to new lows.

I think it's better that the public deals with this discovery & support rather than a boardroom of old guys who don't even use the technology trying to think what investors want (who are also just interested in making money and not using their products). Sure, execution might not be as good, but a lot more interesting stuff can pop up because of this.

Back