Fly Through A Detailed Map Of The Universe

meh, one thing that irritates me about many of these "fly through" or "zoom out" movies of the universe is that everything stays the same brightness regardless of how far away it is. You see all those galaxies at the very end even though they would be too dim to see

The sheer immensity...what a reminder of how insignificant most of our lives are in the 'big picture.'

At once comforting and depressing.

meh, one thing that irritates me about many of these "fly through" or "zoom out" movies of the universe is that everything stays the same brightness regardless of how far away it is. You see all those galaxies at the very end even though they would be too dim to see

I don't think that aspect of realism was taken into place when this clip was made. It seems that it was solely made to portray scalability.

I don't think that aspect of realism was taken into place when this clip was made. It seems that it was solely made to portray scalability.

Quasi-scalability at most, the size of those galaxies with respect to how far away they are from each other would leave most of them as single pixels (due to the fact they can't be any smaller). The Universe has a lot of empty space in it :D

So, what's that black area around the universe? That's what screws with my head.

Very cool. Also annoying, with the latest release of Firefox Vimeo stuff won't actually play for me. Have to view in IE11.

So, what's that black area around the universe? That's what screws with my head.

That would be the unobservable universe, but I have to say that this video is very deceptive. The universe doesn't look like a rectangular bar. However, since we really don't know what the shape of the universe since there is an observable universe and a possibly unobservable universe, then we really have no idea.

I think that was just a slice of the actual universe. Probably just the stuff they've charted so far.

It would have been even more cool if they would have slowly moved in for a close shot of Earth; first the known universe, then into the Milky Way, then into our solar system and then Earth... Would have shown the grand-scale of it all the better.

That would be the unobservable universe, but I have to say that this video is very deceptive. The universe doesn't look like a rectangular bar. However, since we really don't know what the shape of the universe since there is an observable universe and a possibly unobservable universe, then we really have no idea.

every time i partake in certain "activities" i watch space videos and it blows my mind at how little we know about the universe and that we are just a tiny little speck in it.

The view is a cone, not rectangular. The reason for the cone shape is probably the field of view of the telescope that was used to generate this map, with Earth being at the tip of the cone that you can see at the very start of the video.

The view is a cone, not rectangular. The reason for the cone shape is probably the field of view of the telescope that was used to generate this map, with Earth being at the tip of the cone that you can see at the very start of the video.

Was it conic? I didn't see that. My vision sucks.

You can only see the cone shape at the very beginning of the video before it starts to zoom.

That's my complaint.

Back