One Million Gamerscore Milestone Achieved

HardOCP News

[H] News
You have to give it to this guy, the level of dedication it must have taken to hit a million is mind boggling.

"Eight years, three months, I don't know how many days," Cox said on a Twitch stream (via Eurogamer. "I can't explain how much I've put into this." Cox was the first person to reach the 500,000 milestone in 2010. Let's see if he has the will to reach 2 million.

The drive to reach for any carrot on a stick is interesting. Sometimes I'm playing BF4 or whatever, trying to level for that next sniper rifle or something, and I realize if I put that kind of effort into learning web programming or making apps or something, I'd have a ton of money.

The drive to reach for any carrot on a stick is interesting. Sometimes I'm playing BF4 or whatever, trying to level for that next sniper rifle or something, and I realize if I put that kind of effort into learning web programming or making apps or something, I'd have a ton of money.

Don't be dumb. Unlock that sniper!

someone needs to get a life, I view this as pathetic and not an acheivment to be praised .

I'd be surprised if he can actually quit gaming at this point. Also, who cares if he has a "life". He's having fun and not hurting anybody.

I'd be surprised if he can actually quit gaming at this point. Also, who cares if he has a "life". He's having fun and not hurting anybody.

But, it is more fun for us to judge him while we sit in our chairs in front of our awesome gaming PC's that we hand built.

Unless he is still living at home mooching off his parents to feed his addiction instead of getting a job.

good for him as long as other parts of his life are not in a wreck.

If he's struggling to take care of a wife and child, tons of debt, has no job, or is on government assistance, or lives with his parents.... then he has some major life issues if he wishes to screw off his time vs not having responsibility.

So this is what South Park was talking about in the World of Warcraft episode. "He who has no life"

So he has a hobby that he enjoys enough to put a lot of his time into. So what? As long as he's keeping the important parts of his life in check, I say bravo.

LOL, exactly what I was thinking. ;)

Whatever! I can! My GMA x3100 laughs at the puny lives of people who play video games! (Seriously though, it was the best upgrade ever from a GMA 950 and was easy to do just by replacing the motherboard and casing junk on my Latitude D620 with a D630.)

the funny part is I doubt anyone was trying to beat him to 500k, 1million or will try for the 2million mark. he will probably be past 2million before anyone else is up to 1 million

Just had a thought. What model number is his xbox. I want whatever one that is that can last that long! lol

Do people really care that much about gamerscores? i could care less about any gamer score or achievements. IMO they are pointless as long you have fun playing games.

47169799.jpg

the funny part is I doubt anyone was trying to beat him to 500k, 1million or will try for the 2million mark. he will probably be past 2million before anyone else is up to 1 million

At least the guy can claim he's won tons of cool stuff and if famous for what he did. I don't see the point in it (I can see it if you want to get all of them in a game or two, but beyond that...:confused:). That's why I have 6000 gamer points. I play the games. But, I guess some people also have the largest collection of toe nail clippings. Something else I don't understand.

Good for the guy for getting to this goal. I just don't think he's in competition with too many other people. Just a personal goal?

Kinda odd that not one person making negative comments knows a thing about this guy. He's a normal person. He has a nice looking girlfriend. Etc. etc. etc.

stallion83.jpg

An expression of free time, and virginity. Nothing more.

I wish I could enjoy games 1/2 as much as this guy enjoys collecting digital tokens of accomplishment.

Any publicity is good publicity. This guy achieved something no other has done. If he puts this on a resume or CV in the correct way in this day and digital-age, I have no doubts this guy can score a nice paying job for his dedication.

It's like the guys who are over 300lbs that eat free at the heart attack grill. It's practically paying them in burgers just for being extremely overweight. So hey, why not a gamer who enjoys what he does?

I guarantee the first humanoid that started a fire was getting flack from his fellow cavemen for trying to make a stick hotter and hotter. Haters gon' hate since the beginning of ego.

Kinda odd that not one person making negative comments knows a thing about this guy. He's a normal person. He has a nice looking girlfriend. Etc. etc. etc.

stallion83.jpg

Haters gonna hate!

How many hours did this guy log? Does he work, or do anything else?

I know some people that spend 90% or more of their free time gaming but most people have other obligations that would prevent them from being able to accomplish something like this. So as it is a pretty impressive feat, I have to assume he has had a lot of help (i.e. his parents paying his bills/rent, or multiple people playing on his account.)

An expression of free time, and virginity. Nothing more.

He looks like he's got that whole virginity problem solved pretty well.

Haters gonna hate!

How many hours did this guy log? Does he work, or do anything else?

I know some people that spend 90% or more of their free time gaming but most people have other obligations that would prevent them from being able to accomplish something like this. So as it is a pretty impressive feat, I have to assume he has had a lot of help (i.e. his parents paying his bills/rent, or multiple people playing on his account.)

Years and years ago when I briefly worked at Gamestop, I did meet quite a few achievement point commandos. The thing is, they don't go after all achievement points. For instance, the Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Burning Earth game, it was possible to get all 1000 achievement points in about three minutes (not even exaggerating). 1000 points was the maximum number of points you could get in a single game at that time (may be different now). Conversely, at the same holiday season, Assassin's Creed 1 was also released. You could spend a hundred hours and still not get all 1000 points.

Achievement point guys go for min/max. Minimal effort, maximum points. They'd obviously skip going 100% on Assassin's Creed and definitely would go for Avatar. Some games they would get most, but not all, because sometimes that last hundred or more points are just insane compared to the first 800. They'd also look up strategy guides so their first playthrough will be quick and net a maximal amount of points.

And of course, like you said, it generally is more than one dude. This guy gets all the credit but I'm sure he's had help, especially with multiplayer ones (I'm sure many multiplayer points can be achieved by stacking a private game with friends and engineering the situation, etc).

Me personally? I think I have like less than 5000 total, lol. I'm terrible with achievements.

For everyone commenting on this thread: think of it this way, how many hours have you spent playing multiplayer games in which you have not gathered any sort of persistent goal whatsoever? For instance, how many hours have you spent player Counter-Strike? Or World of Warcraft? You probably don't even have a log of it, let alone any achievements (well, they have some now), nor any prizes, nor have you advanced your real life career, nor has it gotten you a girlfriend, yet we all play multiplayer games anyway. This guy puts in a lot of gaming time as well, just in a different area that can be accounted for much more easily.

I don't know what a gamerscore is....I consider that a good thing. Sounds lame.

His g/f is obviously a lot cooler about gaming than mine is.

See, there's still a problem. The guys who go after gamerscore play the min/max game. They get it. Put as little time in to get as many points. Props to Neurofreeze up there on that.

The problem is, they've done all this work to min/max a carrot on a stick that doesn't really matter all that much.

Just think if this guy put that sort of analysis, time, and effort into something that is worthwhile?

Playing games is a fine hobby. But it kinda gets sad in the extremes. Sure, maybe this opens some doors or makes him some money or meets people or something, but that can't be very useful in the real world min/max game.

It's quite possible she's a gamer, too. :)

(And in comparison to people who play just one game [CoD] he's still got a leg up on them.)

Back