New Ballistix Memory

:cool:

if that is the launch price, then this is gonna be a steal for high performance with the crucial 10% off sales

_Korruption_ said:
It asks for 2.8V just to run at stock speeds, so hopefully they're good timings.
hmmm, that almost sounds like BH-5

From Anandtech:

Crucial Ballistix PC-3200 (DDR-400), CL2-2-2-6 $138.99 for 512MB
Crucial Ballistix PC-4000 (DDR-500), CL2.5-4-4-8 $144.99 for 512MB
Crucial Ballistix PC2-4200 (DDR2-533), CL3-3-3-10 $228.99 for 512MB
Crucial Ballistix PC2-5300 (DDR2-667), CL4-4-4-10 $238.99 for 512MB

Do you think a pair of DDR400 Ballistix would be a good alternative to Corsairs XMS TWINX1024-3200XLPRO?

oceancyc said:
From Anandtech:

Crucial Ballistix PC-3200 (DDR-400), CL2-2-2-6 $138.99 for 512MB
Crucial Ballistix PC-4000 (DDR-500), CL2.5-4-4-8 $144.99 for 512MB
Crucial Ballistix PC2-4200 (DDR2-533), CL3-3-3-10 $228.99 for 512MB
Crucial Ballistix PC2-5300 (DDR2-667), CL4-4-4-10 $238.99 for 512MB

Do you think a pair of DDR400 Ballistix would be a good alternative to Corsairs XMS TWINX1024-3200XLPRO?

Yes, I'm thinking of ordering some myself.

I will be getting some in 2 weeks. What test, and where can I find the test, so I can post them. Which is better 64x64 or 64x72?

Crucial has never been a company to screw around when it comes to memory.

I've always known it to be reliable and good stuff, if not the fastest, but I do believe they make their own chips, so perhaps some additional quality control and handpicked stuff could put them in the big-time memory performance game.

I'm excited to see how this stuff runs!

TheAcorn said:
Crucial has never been a company to screw around when it comes to memory.

I've always known it to be reliable and good stuff, if not the fastest, but I do believe they make their own chips, so perhaps some additional quality control and handpicked stuff could put them in the big-time memory performance game.

I'm excited to see how this stuff runs!

Crucial is a subsidiary of Micron, which manufactures the chips used in Crucial memory.

On a related note, Spectek chips are also made by Micron. It's an "off brand" used for the not as great chips, IIRC.

TheAcorn said:
Yep. Crucial is Micron's consumer arm. All the mem Crucial sells is Micron memory. Micron's a major memory manufacturer. I think they're #2 or #3 in size.
This marketing page from Micron's site pretty much explains it: http://www.crucial.com/library/why_crucial.asp
The really strange part is that if you buy Crucial mem you might even be getting ram that was made in the USA. Man, now that's a strange concept lol.

Someone on the OC forums has this stuff @213Mhz 2-2-2-5 3.0V. So it's pretty good, but only time and a few other people will tell how it does...like with voltage and scaling etc.

Exitman said:
Someone on the OC forums has this stuff @213Mhz 2-2-2-5 3.0V. So it's pretty good, but only time and a few other people will tell how it does...like with voltage and scaling etc.
Not bad, but my Abit only goes upto 2.8v w/o doing the volt mod so we will see soon.

Well they may scale better with loose timings...just have to wait and see

I've been using Crucial since ...well, along time ago (late 80's) and have NEVER had a problem with any RAM from them. It might cost a little more, but it's worht it. I got a sneak peak at the site and the Ballistix memory as they were working on it - didn't get to get my hands on any :(, but was able to offer some feedback to them - Crucial sponsored a fund-raiser LAN party I hosted so they've been bouncing things off me.

I for one will give it a try - :)

Peace,
Tim

That was me on the OC Forums. So far I have pushed to 216 @ 2-2-2-11 @ 3.0 but I won't know it's solid until tommorow morning.

This stuff is on par with my old L2 Black even though not quite as fast, it's $100 less than competing brands. Being a RAM junkie, it was a no brainer for me.

somecallmeTim said:
It might cost a little more, but it's worht it.

Well, in this case, it's considerably cheaper than the competition claiming similar specs.

Either way, certainly can't go wrong with Crucial...and you can count on their memory meeting advertised specs.

Parja said:
Well, in this case, it's considerably cheaper than the competition claiming similar specs.

Either way, certainly can't go wrong with Crucial...and you can count on their memory meeting advertised specs.

Cheaper? wow, I need to get out more often... :)

and yes - Crucial has always run at spec for me (and better) with out any tweaking - which is why I keep using it after all these years.

For those whom are curious or interested:

I have this RAM running at 3.0 (or so my motherboard (nf7-s r.2) tells me) and I am topping out at around 210 - 215. Right now I am trying to run at 214 with super tight timings. I may try to play around with the timings to raise the FSB. Not that I prefer mhz over cas I just think some people might want to know.

Besides, my mb / proc can't go much higher anyhow.

Hopefully someone w/ an Intel setup will get some and see how fast they can push it with slack timings. It's mostly just a curiosity thing for me since I have this dual CPU (& registered ECC mem) habit, but being a bit of a Crucial fan (I usually buy Crucial) I'm curious.

I went ahead and ordered a couple 512mb sticks of the DDR400. I'll post next week how well they perform. If they don't perform up to my expectations you can be one of the first people to own a slightly used pair of Ballistix ram when I sell them here in the For Sale\Trade Forum.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ | MSI K8N Neo Platinum | 3x256MB Crucial PC2100 | 2x WD Raptor 74GB RAID 0 | ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS | Pioneer DVR-106D DVD±R/RW | Pioneer DVD-105S DVD-ROM

I got two PC4000 512mb sticks ordered also... I have a couple of EB3700 512mb sticks I want to compare running on an A64 NF250 system... If they don't perform, then well they will be for sale or back to crucial they go... :D

Does anyone have know how they perform on the A64?

Got mine Thursday after a slight delay. Review coming soon, here are some pics to tide you over:

qqqIMG_1741.JPG

qqqIMG_1742.JPG

qqqIMG_1743.JPG

qqqIMG_1744.JPG

qqqIMG_1752.JPG

qqqIMG_1754.JPG

I just want to make some things clear. Like someone else said, Crucial is the consumer arm of Micron, along with Spectek (which uses memory that does not perfectly on all specs and sends them to businesses which do not need perfect memory, aka for answering machines, etc...). Most of Micron's DRAM is made in the US, so if it's made there it's no surprise. I don't understand why *module* makers, those who just integrate the DRAM chips by Micron, Samsung, and Infineon (such as Corsair, Mushkin, etc...), get so much publicity here on the forums. The work there really isn't that great or exciting...except for the heatspreader color.

I am in Aust and the crucial ballistix is the best pc4000 is what we got and it bets corsair by a mile in performance and stablity
It only took 3 days to get here we have tried 5 different mem's but crucial was the only one that performed on both the MSI neo platium and the Asus

Back