Campaign to Engage your Schools

Carnival Forces

Supreme [H]ardness
in a few days (after i've overcome my general laziness) i will create a file outlining folding, what it is, why you should do it, etc.

the purpouse of this file is to convince school administrators to put their school computers on folding.

it won't be easy, so after i've posted it, please feel free to critique it / yell at it / tell me how to make it better. :D

hopefully this will be able for everyone to print out and lobby their schools with...we shall see.

well, my strategy is to know the person running the computers, and bug them about it. it's easy for me because my dad does the computers at this one school where i used to go.

i've got 12 or 13 boxen so far (at least those are the ones who have finished WUs) and it will get rolled out school-wide once we get the proxy exception rule to allow folding to get WUs at any time of the day tested and installed and the F@H install script placed into the startup script for all the computers in the school. then i should get about 40-50. whee:D

i also know one of the people who works in the computer center at the highschool i go to, and he might be able to convince the guy who runs the computers to install folding (and maybe even under my name and team 33 too:))

but this could be useful. keep us posted.

Just make sure that whoever you present it to, your present it to someone who knows the difference between the monitor and the actual computer... otherwise if anything goes wrong, anything im sure you'd be held accountable... good luck, hope it works...

and I hate those people who see a monitor sitting on the ground and say 'look at the computer' or something like that... grr idiot...

sniper991122 said:
Just make sure that whoever you present it to, your present it to someone who knows the difference between the monitor and the actual computer... otherwise if anything goes wrong, anything im sure you'd be held accountable... good luck, hope it works...

and I hate those people who see a monitor sitting on the ground and say 'look at the computer' or something like that... grr idiot...

On several occasions people try to correct me when I call computers computers....once someone said that "thats the CPU, a computer includes a monitor and a keyboard"

Spetsnaz Op said:
On several occasions people try to correct me when I call computers computers....once someone said that "thats the CPU, a computer includes a monitor and a keyboard"

grrr i hate that so much, it drives me crazy... so if I have a computer that is acting as a server for my songs and its on the network without a monitor, but i use tight vnc to view it it isn't a computer right? :rolleyes:

You did proceed to slap them right? I can't stand those people

okay, now i've decided to start working on it.. you guys can help me:
(i'll edit this post w/ answers to the questions, right now i'm just trying to think of questions...)
my proposal: a PPT presentation (which i'll upload) that will contain the following:

1st section: Diseases Bad, deaths (statistics) etc. etc.

2nd section: Explanation of how folding@home can help, what proteins mis-folding means...

3rd section: FAQ
How does it Work?
Will it slow the machines down?
So it just recycles old cycles eh?..
Can it cause network problems?
How much bandwith will it cost?
</proposal>

4th ( hidden section: )so, you need to have answers prepared to the following questions, if they ask them, but you should not volunteer the imformation
How much more will it cost in electricity?
Is it a competition/How do points work?
Who will get the points?
Who owns the results of the "folding" ?

this section won't be on PPT, you'll just have to have the brains to be quick if they ask ;)

hopefully i can find most of the answers on the folding.stanford.edu FAQ, then i'll make a cool looking PPT and upload it :D

ALL YOUR BOXEN ARE BELONG TO US!!!!!

Update: yay, i'm 3/5ths way through with the first section :D
i'm including diseases caused by mis-folding proteins, symptoms, and bunches of statistics...hopefully it will be enough to tug at their heart-strings...

unfortunately, in a few hours I will be leaving for a week-long vacation, so I won't be able to update this until I return

I'm pretty much done w/ the 1st and 3rd sections, gotta go!

Back