Thanks to [H]ardOCP members who visted 3Dfx collection

gdonovan

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks to everyone who stopped by and dropped a note in regards to the site or just wanted to reminisce about the good old days.

Remember when state of the art was a P-100 with 16 mgs of EDO and a Hercules Dynamite 128 ET-6000? Well I bet a few of you do anyway ;-)

3Dfx lead the way, to bad they didn't get their act together in time.

Gary Donovan

p.s. More stuff will be up in the future- The 3dfx site is just a week or two old and I'm still refining the layout, uploading better pictures, and adding new stuff as I think of it or as it comes in.

Reactions: erek
like this
I remember those days.

I still have my 12MB Diamond Monster Voodoo2. Now I have the urge to plug it in and try some old glide games with it again :D

where's the link? :confused:

don't forget the greatest of all voodo cards ever!

the canopus Pure 3d cards :eek:

I still have my pure 3d lx voodoo 1 card, mmm 6mbs of ram. (2 more then every one else!)

I didn't replace my original Diamond Monster 3D til last year with a 9800np-> pro....a full 6 years. Now that was quite a jump...It's now in my DOS box, waiting to be called upon again.

gdonovan said:
Thanks to everyone who stopped by and dropped a note in regards to the site or just wanted to reminisce about the good old days.

Remember when state of the art was a P-100 with 16 mgs of EDO and a Hercules Dynamite 128 ET-6000? Well I bet a few of you do anyway ;-)

3Dfx lead the way, to bad they didn't get their act together in time.

Gary Donovan

p.s. More stuff will be up in the future- The 3dfx site is just a week or two old and I'm still refining the layout, uploading better pictures, and adding new stuff as I think of it or as it comes in.

Did you ever get that Heavy Metal setup put back together after testing? Is it functional?

The site was real fun to look thru. I was a true 3DFX F_A_N_B_O_Y back in the day. I had the Monster3D and the Voodoo3 2000 PCI that I clocked to 3000 speeds. When 3Dfx was around they were the best ones at what they did.

All we had to do was click and view, you did all the work! Thanks it was a great trip down memory lane. Even though I am not a [H]ardcore video card junkie like many here, I still enjoyed it immensly.

I was honestly sad when 3dfx stumbled and even more so when they bit the big one. Hard to believe that 3dfx went from the undisputed leader to nonexistant in a manner of 2 years.

Edit: Be sure and check out the boxes, now that really brings back memories!

Shapeshifter said:
where's the link? :confused:

don't forget the greatest of all voodo cards ever!

the canopus Pure 3d cards :eek:

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/

Both the Pure3d and Pure3d II are shown, and the collection includes-

Pure3d TV retail boxed NEW
Pure3d LX white boxed
Pure3d II retail boxed
Pure3d II LX not boxed (need to find a boxed unit)

Quantum3d Gets my vote for greatest cards ;-)

hamm3rhead said:
Did you ever get that Heavy Metal setup put back together after testing? Is it functional?

Not yet, I'm waiting for a buddy of mine to stop by with an intel mo-bo.

No hurry, lots of other things to do yet =)

Met-AL said:
I had the Monster3D and the Voodoo3 2000 PCI that I clocked to 3000 speeds.

I still have my first Voodoo 3 card- A retail boxed 2000 that would touch 195 mhz with a 486 fan attached, mad overclock! 143 -> 195 mhz

Kong said:
Edit: Be sure and check out the boxes, now that really brings back memories!

Forgot to mention- All the large box pictures are going to be changed to pictures with the box and contects as time permits.

To get an idea what it will look like click on the following new boxes when visiting--

Diamond Fusion euro version
EON Voodoo II
Gateway Voodoo II

gdonovan said:
I still have my first Voodoo 3 card- A retail boxed 2000 that would touch 195 mhz with a 486 fan attached, mad overclock! 143 -> 195 mhz

I've got a 3DFX Voodoo 3 in my computer right now running a second monitor. I've got it overclocked from 143-->200. :cool:

ApaThy_NeXT2 said:
Great site
I'm looking forward to seeing info about Rampage.

I would have to own a Rampage to post info about it on the site- The site is just for cards I own and the chances of me getting a Rampage are slim to none since there is only about 3 known made.

I am lucky to own Daytona number two though ;-)

If you go to the link section, the is a site called Rashlys that has Rampage info.

gdonovan said:
Yep, that 486 fan mod was the shit! I think the V3 2000 has to go down as the best buy for a video card. The darn thing cost only $99 at release and could overclock high enough to take down the top of the line TNT2 cards.

V3 2000 = Celery 300A

check the sig... I got one of the best! This card rocks (well, in its day it did). I cleaned it out the other day, got heaps of dust out. Obviously hadn't been cleaned ever.
I still get good framrates out of it in Unreal Tournament, runnning 800x600, surround sound, pretty high detail levels, and averaging 40-odd frames per second. Damn goodness. It does dodgy Direct3D, but anyway...

Gah, that site makes me feel young :(

I only remember far back enough when the Voodoo 5 came out :(

I love my Quantum 3D Raven PCI with lots of love!
3 great arcade translations that were never really commercially sold (Quantum 3D was in the arcade business), $119 with $30 rebate...

Amazing! And that black PCB in 1998 with the powerful Quantum 3D name and all the mystique that went with it then. Too bad it was only a Banshee.

It did resurrected my PII 200Mhz for another year until I bought my Abit BH-6 r2 and finally got an AGP slot.

gdonovan said:

Your welcome, I'm glad to have visited.

-MrD

I think *personally*, the Voodoo2 SLI was the greatest videocard ever from 3dfx. Man, a truly killer setup then was a Celeron 300a @ 450 ( in my case, 464 :) ), 128 mb of PC100, a nice BX6 or BH6 mobo from Abit, and a SB Live.

Great site btw. :cool:

I had a Guilemont 16MB Banshee back in the day. I got some great mileage out of that card.

Great site!!! I also would like some details on Rampage. Too bad that card never saw the light of day.

Didn't 3DFX also delve into mainboard chipset core logic toward the end?

I've still got my old Voodoo 5000 something somewhere in the house. 'Twas a great card, and Glide always seemed to look nicer for Unreal games than OpenGL. :(

Great site. Thanks I enjoyed it. Here is my retro box spex:

Asus TX97-E motherboard
Pentium 200MMX w/64Mb 60ns EDO RAM
Hercules Dynamite 128 w/2Mb RAM (ET6000)
Orchid Righteous 3d card (4Mb Voodoo 1)
Soundblaster 16 non-pnp!
Roland Sound Canvas SCD-15 wavetable with GM and GS
IBM Model-M keyboard
Dos 6.22 fat16 & Win98SE fat32 (on other half of hard drive) using Acronis OS selector

I play old DOS games including 3dfx enhanced Descent II, & Whiplash. I also have Mechwarrior II 3dfx enhanced edition. I bought a Diamond Monster Voodoo One on ebay still in the shrink wrap. I plan on keeping it wrapped up.

I like the sound of the mechanical relays in the Orchid. :D

ShuttleLuv said:
I think *personally*, the Voodoo2 SLI was the greatest videocard ever from 3dfx.

It was ahead of it's time- Just think if you had the bucks and wanted to double your performance all you had to do was buy a second card and plug it in.

Expensive, but something available consumer level like that was amazing.

RAutrey said:
I had a Guilemont 16MB Banshee back in the day. I got some great mileage out of that card.

Great site!!! I also would like some details on Rampage. Too bad that card never saw the light of day.

Didn't 3DFX also delve into mainboard chipset core logic toward the end?

1) http://tiger.towson.edu/~tzeger1/3dfx/products/rampage.html

2) 3dfx worked with mainboard companies to produce motherboards with Voodoo 3's on board, but no mainboard chipsets that I'm aware of.

roncomatic said:
I play old DOS games including 3dfx enhanced Descent II, & Whiplash. I also have Mechwarrior II 3dfx enhanced edition. I bought a Diamond Monster Voodoo One on ebay still in the shrink wrap. I plan on keeping it wrapped up.

Sure, bring that up. Now I'm gonna have to go home and stick my V3 in my PC and fire those up. Thanks...there goes my weekend :D

Seriously tho, I played Descent on the playstation 1. It was about the only PS1 game I ever really liked. When I got my Voodoo1, I played Descent2 on it, and I was totaly awe struck at that game. And then there was Mechwarrior2. One hell of a fun game. I used to play the BattleTech games on my Commodore 64, so I was familiar with the BattleTech world and fell in love with Mechwarrior2 when it came bundled with my Diamond Monster3d.

There was another game out back then that was great on the voodoo hardware. Similar them to Descent. Can't remember the name of it. Anyone ever play MonsterTruck Madness2 in 3d mode? I think that was one of the first games I ever played in 3D mode besides GLQuake.

roncomatic said:

Hey! I think I'm going to have a sound file of that noise when the V1 page loads, LOL!

your site is really cool, i enjoyed looking through it. keep up the good work

roncomatic said:
Great site. Thanks I enjoyed it. Here is my retro box spex:

Asus TX97-E motherboard
Pentium 200MMX w/64Mb 60ns EDO RAM
Hercules Dynamite 128 w/2Mb RAM (ET6000)
Orchid Righteous 3d card (4Mb Voodoo 1)
Soundblaster 16 non-pnp!
Roland Sound Canvas SCD-15 wavetable with GM and GS
IBM Model-M keyboard
Dos 6.22 fat16 & Win98SE fat32 (on other half of hard drive) using Acronis OS selector

My "retro" specs:

MSI 440BX board (can't remember exact model)
Celeron 300A @ 450Mhz (pin modded, board doesn't have BIOS options)
128MB PC 100 CL2
20GB Maxtor some odd
Diamond MM Viper 770 32MB TNT2
STB Black Magic V-1000 Voodoo2 12MB SLI :)D)
Creative Labs PCI 128
10mb 3Com nic

DOS 7.x on floppy w/sound,mouse, and nic drivers
Win98 SE lite

Met-AL said:
Sure, bring that up. Now I'm gonna have to go home and stick my V3 in my PC and fire those up. Thanks...there goes my weekend :D
There was another game out back then that was great on the voodoo hardware. Similar them to Descent. Can't remember the name of it. Anyone ever play MonsterTruck Madness2 in 3d mode? I think that was one of the first games I ever played in 3D mode besides GLQuake.

Welcome :D and I think the game is Foreskin... I mean Forsaken :cool:

A Voodoo 3 2000 was my very first vid card purchase. I still look back with fondness of that first look at quake2 and half life on that card. Running to the phone to call my buds saying OMFG you cannot believe this! :D

roncomatic said:
Welcome :D and I think the game is Foreskin... I mean Forsaken :cool:

Yep that's it.

Like Yiffy posted, my "retro" specs were:

AMD K6-2 400 then 550 then K6-3+ 500
FIC PA-2013 2MB L2 Cache
128MB PC100
Voodoo 1 w/ATI Xpert 98 then replaced with a V3 2000
SoundBlaster Live!
HP 8100+ 4x Burner <-That was the shit back in the day
10GB Maxtor Hard Drive

This machine in it's last stages could run Q3 like a champ. Started out playing Q2 with it.

My first PC was a PackerdBell P133 and I put the Voodoo1 in that and learned the awe of 3D gaming with it from MonsterTruck Madness2 and GLQuake. I've been hooked ever since, and would still be using 3dfx hardware if it were still being made.

Back