Try this if you have the ViewSonic VP201B

Haribo

n00b
Stick your head behind the monitor and at the same time adjust your brightness from 100% to 0%. Can you hear a faint noise building up inside the monitor?

I'm trying to figure out if I should RMA my VP201B or if this is normal. It seems as though the backlights start to "vibrate" when they get a lower voltage or something and emit a faint noise, you can also feel a very low vibration on the back of the monitor. All of this is almost impossible to notice during the day when there is a lot of ambient noise, but at night the noise can sometimes get a little bit annoying if it's totally quite in the room.

Anyway is there anyone else with this problem?

Edit: At 100% there is absolutely NO noise whatsoever, it starts at maybe 92% brightness.

Haribo said:
Stick your head behind the monitor and at the same time adjust your brightness from 100% to 0%. Can you hear a faint noise building up inside the monitor?

I'm trying to figure out if I should RMA my VP201B or if this is normal. It seems as though the backlights start to "vibrate" when they get a lower voltage or something and emit a faint noise, you can also feel a very low vibration on the back of the monitor. All of this is almost impossible to notice during the day when there is a lot of ambient noise, but at night the noise can sometimes get a little bit annoying if it's totally quite in the room.

Anyway is there anyone else with this problem?

Edit: At 100% there is absolutely NO noise whatsoever, it starts at maybe 92% brightness.

Hi Haribo. I just BARELY got this monitor yesterday, so I'm still playing around with it. I hear a faint noise too and it starts at about 92% and continues down from there. I don't think its anything to worry about. What I would do, is set your monitor's brightness to whenever the noise stops, then if you have the capability, is to set your own "in windows" brightness through video card drivers.

DogChainX said:
Hi Haribo. I just BARELY got this monitor yesterday, so I'm still playing around with it. I hear a faint noise too and it starts at about 92% and continues down from there. I don't think its anything to worry about. What I would do, is set your monitor's brightness to whenever the noise stops, then if you have the capability, is to set your own "in windows" brightness through video card drivers.

Well that is a bad solution because it looks like crap if you do that.

But it is pretty faint so I guess it's not to hard to live with, as the rest of the monitor fucking kicks ass. I have zero dead pixels as well :).

It would still be interesting to know if everyone has this problem.
I should add that my computer is water-cooled and very quite, if it was a "normal" computer I would probably never have noticed it.

I've had my VP201s for about 3 hours now, it's quite stunning! I've just done the noise test and yes I get the faint noise when I turn the brightness down. This doesn't really bother me as I pretty much always have music on and also probably won't have the brightness much lower even at night time.

I have the VP201s ans have the same issue. I returned the first one I bought to the store because of that noise, but unfortunately the noise was still there in the replacement monitor. I guess judging from the above posts that's a problem with those models...kind of an undocumented 'feature'...anyway it's not too bad because my case fans are louder.

Back