What do you think of these cases for water cooling?

Neo_Cloud_99

Limp Gawd
I'm still trying to decide but I am considering these two atm:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-163-031&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-042&depa=0

Now before you go screaming saying get the Stacker let me tell you what all I want (not necessarily need) to cram into the case:

Dual Heater Core
2 DVD Drives
1 or 2 Fan Controllers (think I can get away with 1, but may need 2)
SB Audigy 2ZS Control Panel (not really necessary)
5 1/4" Bay Reservoir
Floppy Drive (prefer to have one in case)
4 HDD's (yes, 4)

Now lets say I want to mount my Heater Core in the traditional place... bottom front. With the stacker thats going to take up 6-7 bays right? Then the HDD cage that holds 4 HDD's takes up 3 slots. Then I want to put in the Bay Reservoir. The case has a control panel it needs with power buttons etc. Then I have the 2 DVD Drives. Then 1 or 2 Fan Controllers. The only way I can make the Stacker work without moving the HC is by taking out the HDD cage and putting it in the bottom... nothing really wrong with that, but I would prefer to keep it in the bays... only other way to do that is mount the HC in the top, dont really want to do that.

With the Silverstone I can do just 1 little mod by cutting out the front for room for my two 120mm fans.... after that I have room for my Bay Res, 2 DVD Drives, 2 Fan Controllers... or 1 Fan Controller and the SB Audigy Control Panel. I have enough bays for 6 HDD's. I can also put the floppy drive in.

The only downside which really isnt a big deal anyways of the Silverstone over the Stacker is its not BTX and it doesnt have room for 2 PSU's... neither of which I'm worried about.

Comments/Suggestions/Rude Gestures ?

They're both far, FAR too expensive. Spending more than $60 for a case is crazy.

patience.

The stacker seems easier to deal with. The silverstone seems made for air cooling. But really just seems like a matter of preference.

but i agree both are very expensive.

Honestly, I think the stacker is the better choice for water. Everything in the Silverstone case just seems to be in the wrong place for it (the only airflow for the expandion cards and motherboard components above the air tube would only have the power supply drawing air). The stacker is so much more configurable and changeable. It has way more potential over the Silverstone for just about anything you would want to do.

Whatever happened to the good old days when you didnt need to have a case the size of a football field.....

thewhiteguy said:
They're both far, FAR too expensive. Spending more than $60 for a case is crazy.

Wow, you must like "teh crappy" cases or the rest of us must be teh crazy counter terror guys. :D

I pick cases in the $150-200 range, there is a big difference between a Lian-Li and a Chieftec Dragon.

-Dan

Agree with "Dan" - I have two PC-70's, and not a lot of money to spend. I buy them for the looks, for the quality and for the space. I watercool and pelt/watercool. I need the big cases for my rads and fans. They just don't fit in small shit.

Ok I think you guys are crazy... lol ... I may be new to water cooling but man... for what I'm thinking the Silverstone would work so much easier. Yes I know the Stacker is probably a little bigger and more configurable but ironically with the way the bays are setup I cant fit everything in it like I can with the Silverstone.

thewhiteguy said:
Yeah, the price.

You have no idea how many differences exist between the two types of cases. Price is not the only one, open your eyes.

-Dan

[S]nt|Mods said:
You have no idea how many differences exist between the two types of cases. Price is not the only one, open your eyes.

-Dan
Sure there are plenty of differences, but they're not worth the pricetag. This isn't a complex piece of machinery or a precision designed device, it's a freaking case that sits there and holds parts. Cases are all much more alike than they are different.

But since a large part of your business is focused on those who purchase based on looks, it is understandable that you wouldn't agree with me.

a case is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. simple as that.

as for the orignal subject, i dont know exactly which one i would go for. they are both have unique characteristics and i guess it all depends on what you are willing to work with. if you mount the heater core on top, it will give you much more freedom inside the case. mounting it in the bottom front on any of those two cases will waste too much real estate.

If you want to keep your hard drives in the bays you can just get 5 1/2" to 3.5" HD converters.

I bought the Silverstone because with how I want to set everything up the Stacker just wont work... it is also a really nice case though, I'm not denying that.

The Silverstone only has to have the front cut out to fit 2 120mm for my dual heatercore. After that I can put in Fan Controller, 2 DVD Drives, Bay Reservoir, SB Audigy 2ZS Control Panel... then I can mount all 4 of my HDD's ... and still even be able to put a Floppy Drive in. I have room to add more fans, in the back of the HDD cage, in the top, in the side... that is if the HDD's get too hot, which I doubt they will.

The only way I could fit all that ^^ in the Stacker was either A) put HDD cage in bottom of case or B) mount Heater Core in the top... neither of which I wanted to do.... if I had 1 DVD Drive and no Bay Reservoir it might have worked out, but thats not the case.

Anyways despite what everyone thinks I dont see any problems what so ever with putting all the tubing in, shouldnt be any heat problems, and everything will fit how I want.. its perfect.

Thanks for all of the replies though.

I'm currently installing a wc setup in the Silverstone, let me tell you what I've found so far.

This is a great case with lots of room but not quite as much as you might think. In order to install a 2x120mm rad up front your going to lose at least one if not both of the 3.5" bays. I kinda figured this before I bought the case so I got 2 single 120mm rads. One to put in front and one in back. The one in front fits ok, if you remove that 80mm fan mount. The one in back I couldn't make work. It's just too tight. If you didn't mind cutting you could do it but I'm trying to avoid that.

The 5 1/4" bays are kind of a pain also. The rail system works great for drives but anything else, fan controllers, lcd displays, bay reservoirs, etc are a huge pain in the ass to get lined up with the bezel and each other. Took me a while to get everything lined up. Also, the very top bay is only functional with the rail system as it has no hard point to screw anything to.

Otherwise the case has been very nice to work with and is going to be very cool when done.

Hmm.. you are sure there's no way to get a Dual Heater Core up in the front without taking out the 3.5 bays? If I have to remove half of that cage its ok but I'd like to have at least 1.

Yeah I knew it would be extremely close but if there's a way I will find it :) ... I really think this case is going to work out perfect for me... everyone else might not like it but I do :p

Let me know how your setup goes... and I'll do the same... wish I had a dig. camera but I dont :(

thewhiteguy said:
Sure there are plenty of differences, but they're not worth the pricetag. This isn't a complex piece of machinery or a precision designed device, it's a freaking case that sits there and holds parts. Cases are all much more alike than they are different.

But since a large part of your business is focused on those who purchase based on looks, it is understandable that you wouldn't agree with me.

Wow, low blow there. Completely uncalled for.

And for the record...... Aqua-Computer provides products with performance cooling in mind, the looks are based on a different design concept and are just a plus. Also, you have no experience with these products so you are just making yourself look like an ass now.

-Dan

I vote Stacker.

I had a Coolermaster ATC-201 before it, and I am telling you from experience, it is an absolute joy to work in a case with so much room, airflow, and possibilities. I will never swtich to another case again for my main rig. This case is IT for me.

Good luck!

I have worked with cheap cases and my thermaltake there is no comparision between the two, Yes they both have sides that come off and they both have a place for the motherboard, but it is the attention to detail, the ease of items going together.

Its kinda like comparing a chevy liberty with a cadillac.

both cases are undesirable for your situation. they are both expensive and do not suit your needs.

i would advocate making a case out of lexan (cheap at online metals) for your situation. 1/4" lexan is about one third the price of the 1mm 2024 T3 aluminum used in computer cases, and it should be sufficient for most everything. it is also easy to cut: just go real slow with the jigsaw, and problems ain't gonna happen.

Back