Unlocking 6800 pipelines with RivaTuner

Kckazdude

[H]ard|Gawd
If you recently purchased a 6800 card in the hopes of unlocking the pipes and clocking it up for some bonus performance, you might have run into the same problem I recently did. There seems to be a lack of a help file in the RivaTuner. Hopefully, I will be able to answer many of the questions you have in this thread and help you get the the pipes unlocked and the most stable overclock out of your new card. As with any OC, as long as we got what we paid for, a 6800NU with 5 vertex units and 3 pixel units enabled, anything else is bonus. You may or may not be able to get all pipes unlocked and working stable.

*Edit
It has been reported that you can also unlock pixel pipelines on the 6200 AGP version cards. These are the NV43 based cards. Stock, they come with 4 pixel pipelines and 3 vertex shaders. After the mod, you can enable 8 pixel pipelines. Accoring to this post by pxc the steps are the same for both cards. One thing to note is that coming out of hibernation mode resets the pipeline masking, so a reboot is necessary to re-enable all 8 pipelines.

The first order of buisness is to update the drivers and make sure everything is stable enough to move forward. Next download a copy of RivaTuner and install. Once that is done open up RivaTuner, you should see this:

riva1.jpg

Expand the first context menu and select Low-level system settings
riva2.jpg

Click on the NVStrap dirver tab at the top and make sure the box is checked for 'Allow enabling hardware masked units'. Click yes when the pop-up box comes up.

riva3.jpg

Then select the 'Customize tab' .

riva4.jpg

In the columns, you will be able to see which pipes are HW masked and which are not. You can add and remove the checkmarks next to the pies here. Just check the ones that are hardware masked and select 'OK'. Slect 'OK' again to get back to the main window of RivaTuner. At this point you should be prompted to restart. Once restarted, if all was well, you should see in the main RivaTuner window that you have all pipes enabled or not. If so, congratulations. If not, the world hasnt ended, your card just wasnt up to the task.

Now to begin the actual OCing of the card. To the BFG 6800 OC owners, be prepared for a small letdown. It would seem that BFG has already pushed the hardware about as far as it will go. I only managed another 5% over the stock clocks which were already over the 6800 specs. Again YMMV.

You previously noticed the clock sliders in the 'Low-level system settings' window with a box that can be checked and unchecked that states 'Enable Low-level Hardware overclocking'. Dont worry with it. You cant check the box to enable it. nVidia overclocking is done at a software level, not at the hardware level now days. This is only there for support of the older nVidia cards.

Start at the main window and selct the second expanding context menu.

riva5.jpg

First you must check the 'Enable Driver Level hardware overclocking' box. You will then be prompted to reboot and detect stock clock frequency. It is recommended that you allow this as it will save headaches later on in the process. Once you have rebooted go back to the window and the sliders and options should be enabled.

riva6.jpg

It is suggested that you move in small increments at a time. Also dont try to move sliders on both core and memory without tests and reboot. Do them one at a time so you know the limits. By default, RivaTuner will test the setting and display a pop-up warning when it has detected that you have gone too far and will not allow you to go further. For the most part I have found this to be accurate. I was able to squeeze a few more MHz out by disabling this feature. To disable, go back to the RivaTuner main window and select the 'Power user' tab. Then scroll down to find the RivaTuner 2.0 RC 15.2\NVIDIA\Overclocking string. Click to expand the tree and select DisableInternalClockTest, right click and select the yellow bulb icon form the context menu.

riva7.jpg

You no longer have the limits of the built in clock tester. You will still have to test the clock as you set them but it will allow you to move on even if it fails. At this point you may or may not come up with artifacts and video stability.

Hope this helps and good luck to all that try it. If I have left anything out, please feel free to correct me.

Thank you for the guide. My BFG OC now says 256 bit NV40 (A1,16x1,6VP) with 128mb DDR. I take it that I unlocked them. Thank you.

I upgraded from a BFG 5700 ultra and the text and windows screen dont seem as crisp. It's hard to explain but I was woundering if they use different 2d filters or something? Why would my screen be diferent between a BFG5700 and the BFG6800?

Your welcome and congrats on the unlock.

As for the 2D issues, that goes beyond my understanding. All I can suggest is to play with your color settings and see if you can improve it. If using WinXP you may also want to try enabling ClearType to see if that makes an improvement.

Thank you from a long-time stalker of the boards. My eVGA 6800NU did 16x 6vp without any hiccups. Tested under 3dMark05 and it did just fine.

Stock, out of the box 6800: 3289
Stock speed, 16x 6vp enabled: 3659
400/801, 16x 6vp enabled: 3786

Mobile Athlon XP @ 2.4Ghz (12 x 200mhz), 1 gig Kingston value ram, eVGA 6800NU.

Nice guide.

I just used it and unlocked everything perfectly.
Though it didnt auto-detect as high of an overclock with the pipes enabled.

Anyway, here are some 3dMark2005 results:
Stock 12p ---- (325/700) 3180
unlocked 16p (325/700) 3538
unlocked 16p (380/800) 4043 (softmod + OC!) :)

Nice little 27% improvement with just a few little tweaks. Now my $199 (BF CompUSA deal) card is performing pretty much like $400 card.

I just bought a 6800oc two days ago...Today I stumbled upon this thread.
I installed the lastest forceware shit soon as I got the card.. 67.03 then tried the steps here. No go it listed it the same :( I went under the options and there was check marks but it still said disabled... I uninstalled the drivers then went to 66.81 and tried again... same thing... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

i had the same prob. as yza i checked the pipes but they are listed as disabled instead of enabled, does this mean i cant unlock the pipes or do i have to change another setting?

If the steps were folowed correctly and and the pipes are still disabled, the pipes are not unlockable. Just remember as long as you have 12 pipes and 5 VS you got what you paid for.

You've got to click "Allow enabling hardware masked units"

then change "graphic adapter identification" to "GeForce"

Then go to the sub-menu and put check marks next to the disable pipes/v-units.

Went back to the 67.03 and tried it again... I forgot to change to geforce... well it still not working and followed the instructions... Maybe its the newer drivers? I didnt select geforce under graphics adapter id before... Think I should try re-installing older drivers that the riva tuner supports like the 66's? and try it again... at this point I'm doubtfull it will work... I'm not really impressed by the performance of this card... Got a wierd bottle neck somewhere, I lagg the same at the lowest resolution as the highest.. I just want 75fps avg in cs source :(

3200+ xp
768mgs of ram :(

Am not sure and havent done any testing of other drivers. I am still using the 66.93 drivers. Had bad luck with BETA drivers a while ago and learned to stay with official release since then.

Is there any risk of damaging the card by unlocking pipes/pixel units/vertex units? I'm getting a BFG 6800OC momentarily and don't really have money to buy a second one if I kill this one. :(

miro said:
Is there any risk of damaging the card by unlocking pipes/pixel units/vertex units? I'm getting a BFG 6800OC momentarily and don't really have money to buy a second one if I kill this one. :(

Yes It can, but rarely. I the same risk as OCing it.

If you get artifacts when unlocking, it means your card has bad pipes or vertex units. Try disabling one at a time to see if you can isolate a bad one. Just remeber that if it works stock you got what you paid for.

yza said:
I just bought a 6800oc two days ago...Today I stumbled upon this thread.
I installed the lastest forceware shit soon as I got the card.. 67.03 then tried the steps here. No go it listed it the same :( I went under the options and there was check marks but it still said disabled... I uninstalled the drivers then went to 66.81 and tried again... same thing... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
The newest version of rivatuner fixes this.

My PNY 6800 vanilla unlocks both the pipes and the vertex unit ok, but won't overclock at all that way. So here is my question- am I better off with the card unlocked, or with the ability to overclock a decent amount for games like Farcry, MOH pacific Assault, CoD, etc? Also, I am assuming the pipes have a larger effect than the extra vertex unit- is that correct? Maybe if I disable the extra vetex unit I can keep the pipes unlocked and still OC some. Any wisdom on all this? Thanks!

speedfrk said:
Maybe if I disable the extra vetex unit I can keep the pipes unlocked and still OC some. Any wisdom on all this? Thanks!

Could be... I would test the max OC at stock, with just the VU enabled and just the pipes enabled. That's the only way you are going to know for sure.

CannonFodder-jm said:
ok, n00b question...
Do you need an after-market HSF upgrade to do this? If so, what do you suggest?

Nope... Stock is fine.

Originally Posted by CannonFodder-jm
ok,n00b question...
Do you need an after-market HSF upgrade to do this? If so, what do you suggest?

Stock cooling is adeqaute for unlocking pipes and vertex shaders. It will also hold some OCing as long as you have good air flow in the case. Aftermarket cooling solutions will also help the OC stay stable when gaming.

Those of you whose cards still seemed to be locked after the RivaTuner tweak:
I had the same problem with RivaTuner 15.2, but it seems like 15.3 does something differently; anyway, mine finally unlocked everything, no problems (PNY NU, $200 CompUSA Black Friday, now running 16/6@400/800). Try downloading the newest version and re-checking the pipes.

I have finally had a chance to play with the latest release of RiveTuner. The only differences I notice are the Overclock tab in Low-Level System Tweaks is missing. It was of no use for this guide or the 6800 nu cards. The latest release also has the ability to unlock some pipes that were previously not able to unlock.

From the Read Me file supplied:

Added ForceWare 67.xx - 7x.xx driver families support
Updated databases for Detonator and ForceWare driver families. Added databases for ForceWare 66.93, 67.02, 67.03, 70.41, 70.90 and 71.20 drivers
Updated NVStrapAntiprotection and ForceWareAntiprotection patch scripts for ForceWare 66.93, 67.02, 70.41, 70.90 and 71.20 drivers. Take a note that these scripts are fully replaced with NVStrap 1.7 functionality on GeForceFX and newer graphics processors. The scripts are required for GeForce 4 and older display adapters only and subject to be discontinued in the next version.

To avoid confusing beginners, which often tend to ignore built-in context help, low-level overclocking tab is now hidden on GeForce FX and newer display adapters.

Updated NVStrap driver v1.7 gives you more new exclusive features:
New pixel / vertex units masking technique support. Now the driver is able to enable hardware masked pixel / vertex units on new generation GeForce 6800 (LE) boards (e.g. new Dell 6800 GTO), which use redesigned hardware units masking technique aimed to block softmodding ability of the previous NVStrap version.

This isnt the full changelog in the Read-Me just the highlights that pertain to those using this guide.

Is there any risk of the card becoming unusable after attempting this softmod?

Mine was stable after the soft mod, but I couldn't overlock much if any at all. The luxury of the soft mod is that you can back off if it doesn't work. I was able to unlock both the pipelines and the vertex, but some could only do one or the other. It is just the luck of the draw.

Mojo said:
Is there any risk of the card becoming unusable after attempting this softmod?

None that I can see. Most people that find damaged pipes after unlocking are still going strong with the standard pipes and vertex shader. Have even seen a few that OC better without the pipes open.

trashcan said:
I upgraded from a BFG 5700 ultra and the text and windows screen dont seem as crisp. It's hard to explain but I was woundering if they use different 2d filters or something? Why would my screen be diferent between a BFG5700 and the BFG6800?

Ok, your problem isn't related to the thread, but, if no one minds, I'm going to post the response here so all the people finding this annoyance can see what's going on since it's a less known problem.

You're ysing an analog monitor, right? Well, due to the nature of how nVidia hardware has been made by other companies, nVidia has very little control over which components go into the card beyond their basic specs. Unfortunately, many companies take advantage of this leeway to save an extra few quarters per card by using a cheap DAC filter. This filter is FCC required, but, theoretically it's not needed. Now, I don't condone doing this as it's dangerous and will of course violate the FCC regulations in such matters, but, I have seen that people are actually disabling this filter (which involves ripping some resistors off completly, so it also 100% voids your warantee.) Anyway, this problem is completely avoided by using a digital screen instead of analog because the digital signal doesn't go through that filter (and even if it did, I suppose it wouldn't have much effect since it's just using 0 or 1 and it doesn't matter if it's 0.75 thanks to the filter.)

I don't recall the exact details of how to do this, but, I posted a link explaining it in a previous thread about the issue. A little googling should turn up proper results as well though. Really though, I would just put up with it or return the card if possible (preferably explaining to the manufacturer exactly why their product does not meet quality requirements.)

Anyway, Kckazdude, thanks for the nice tutorial thread with even images to help things out. And, thanks very much to whatever nice person stickied this. Ok, I had already found out how to do this before, so didn't need it this time around, but, I would have positively killed for a thread like this when I first tried to do that.

Thanks for the heads up on that Nazo.
I havent noticed the problem myself so I wonder if it is hardware specific as in only certain hardware profiles will show this issue? Maybe my old eyes just cant pick out the probelms in 2D anymore.

Has anyone tired or know of anyone who has tried this trick with a PCI Express version? Would that even make a difference?

From another thread:
mavalpha said:
6800 PCIe cannot be unlocked, because it is a completely different chip. NV41 is a second revision of the GF6800 core, which is built with only a 12x5 config. The trade-off is that its video processor is fully functional, to the same extent as the GF6600 and GF6200.

Kckazdude said:
Thanks for the heads up on that Nazo.
I havent noticed the problem myself so I wonder if it is hardware specific as in only certain hardware profiles will show this issue? Maybe my old eyes just cant pick out the probelms in 2D anymore.

Hardware specific. Not even just brand, two people can buy two cards from the same brand and one person might have a high quality filter while the other has a low quality filter. Basically, the companies don't set the quality threshold tight enough, so you never know what you'll get. This problem used to be horrible back in the days of GF2s or so from what I read and is growing less common these days, but, still occurs every now and then.

[H] linked an article that outlines installing a HSF, unlocking the pipes/VS and OCing the 6800nu from OCIA.net yesteerday. It is a good article and covers more than I did hear in this small 'How-To'. If you read his article you noticed that he used a batch file with a modified string to unlock his pipes and VS. However, this string has been known to cause stability issues when applied like this for some users on certain cards. The string was added with proper coding in the software to RivaTuner RC 15.3 that was released at the very end of last year. If you tried this before and got unsatisfactory results or couldnt unlock your pipes/VS at all try the latest version of RivaTuner.

I have already contacted Playafly187 and he was indeed using RC 15.2 when he got the bad results. He is in the process of testing using RC 15.3 to verify the results and will update the article accordingly.

Also, the addition of the NV5 cooler is not needed to unlock the pipes and VS. If you have high temps with your stock cooling then I do recommend upgrading to ensure you get stable overclocks with your cards. It will also give your card a longer life it is running cooler so it doesnt look like a bad investment at all.

Oh yeah, btw, I can testify to this. I had tried it back when it first started doing this and it didn't work. This latest version finally unlocked those pipelines so I could be sure enough to BIOS mod mine. In fact, the card I had before may well have been unlockable as well I see now -- it just had the same problem that they finally found a way to fix. IMO, people considering the bios mod should try softmodding first. If you can open those pipelines via RivaTuner and test for artifacts/etc, then you are 100x safer versus just simply flashing the thing and finding out the hard way.

BIOS mod didn't work on my PNY NU, so I can only use RivaTuner 15.3 for this. (If I ever start gaming in Linux, crap.)

I was able to unlock the 6th shader but not the 16 pipes....still run a nice overclock. 380/875 @ 12x6

4382 in 3dmark05

10253 in 3dmark03

NVidia announced its 6800LE PCIe yesterday, which makes for some interesting budget options. First of all, it's SLI-ready. Second of all, I doubt it's another new chip (as in, no NV42), which means that it can probably be modded. Worst case scenario (very likely, btw), it's a locked-down GeForce6800/NV41, in which case it has a fully-functioning PVP. If so, it may be modded into a 12/5.
The other option is NV45, in which case it has TONS of potential- no PVP, as a negative. This is isn't likely, though; if NV is willing to lock it down that far and lose so much off its margin, it most likely actually HAS damaged pipelines or vertex shaders and is unsuitable for sale as a real GT or Ultra.

In short, someone buy a 6800LE PEG and report! ($10 says it's NV41.)

I tried to unlock the pipes on my albatron 6800 and it failed miserably, the second it got into windows the screen was completely corrupted and the computer was unresponsive, I thought for sure I had just killed my brand new $280 card. I went into safe mode and uninstalled rivatuner and everything works fine now. Is that whats supposed to happen if they don't unlock?

That can be signs of bad pipes. Doesnt sound like a good thing. Sorry to hear of your luck.

i had the same flickering with a black screen. different bits were masked on my card than were on the screenshot from the tutorial. my masked bits were bit 02 and bit 12 instead of bit 03 and bit 13. would that be a problem?

luckily mine works 100% with 16,6 pipes, n overclocks high. but i want somethin permanent like 9500 to 9700 or 9800se to 9800pro [h]mod n bios flash. (and also gain some possible performance increase)

i haven't tried the [h]mod yet, http://www.pcunleash.com/bbs/zboard.php?id=MyItemReview&no=39 but i've flashed my card about 10 times now.. unfortunately none of the bios worked 100% so far. leadtek 6800ultra bios worked 100% but didn't enable the 16,6 pipes. good news is if its doesn't work flashin back to original bios fixes back to normal.

Back