XBOX over Component on Dell 2405fpw (pics 56k warning)

magnetik

Staff member
I decided to take some pics of the quality from the xbox hd av advanced pack. I think the quality is very good and do notice some jaggies.. but that's most likely the game.. because some looked excellent and some games looked very jaggy. I think using the component video with the 2405fpw will make bad games look bad and good games look excellent from what I saw so far. Soul Calibur 2 and Burnout3 were great.

Here are a few screenies. I hope it doesn't take my connection down.. lol

Keep in mind too.. some of these shots were moving.. and the pictures are highly compressed. Also keep in mind that I am taking picture of a screen.. Sorry if I made them too big.. I wanted to show some of the detail.

[..:: magnetik ::..]

the rest of the pics:
http://www.thunderpimp.com/xbox2405fpw/index.html

DSC00521.jpg

DSC00478.jpg

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00565.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

Actually looks a lot better than I thought. I have a Samsung 151MP (from way back) and my xbox looks pretty crummy (that's over composite mind).

I think that I'm almost certainly going to get one of these now (unless something equal on specs and nicer looking comes out in the next month or so)

Any chance you can post some pics from farther back? Maybe from around where you sit when you're playing?

Warborn said:
Any chance you can post some pics from farther back? Maybe from around where you sit when you're playing?

or even better, a video clip? :D if your camera has that mode

thx for the pics, wish i bought an xbox when it came out......i played sc2 on ps2 at 480p, its wayyyy better than regular but it is still wack compared to xbox

magnetik said:
I decided to take some pics of the quality from the xbox hd av advanced pack. I think the quality is very good and do notice some jaggies.. but that's most likely the game.. because some looked excellent and some games looked very jaggy. I think using the component video with the 2405fpw will make bad games look bad and good games look excellent from what I saw so far. Soul Calibur 2 and Burnout3 were great.

Here are a few screenies. I hope it doesn't take my connection down.. lol

Keep in mind too.. some of these shots were moving.. and the pictures are highly compressed. Also keep in mind that I am taking picture of a screen.. Sorry if I made them too big.. I wanted to show some of the detail.

[..:: magnetik ::..]

the rest of the pics:
http://www.thunderpimp.com/xbox2405fpw/index.html

DSC00521.jpg

DSC00478.jpg

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00565.jpg
Is this using the s-video hook ups for the xbox to the dell lcd? Cuz thats the way I have my setup right now and I dont think it looks bad at all. If its the HD pack what converter are you using?

What do you have your xbox set to? 480p only? 720p only? 1080i only? or all 3 enabled? I noticed you get a different image every time you turn only one of the three on. If i set all 3 on, it uses the 480p mode. alos, how old is your xbox?

HybridHB said:
What do you have your xbox set to? 480p only? 720p only? 1080i only? or all 3 enabled? I noticed you get a different image every time you turn only one of the three on. If i set all 3 on, it uses the 480p mode. alos, how old is your xbox?

i have all three enabled.. so I guess whatever the max res is for the particular game is what it's set too. I have to find a game that supports each res and take some pics that way. My Xbox is a 1.5 xbox and was manufactured 10/03.

Is there a way to get 4:3 games to display in 4:3? I was experimenting with Ninja Gaiden and Halo 2 as well, but then I also threw in Street Fighter Anniversary and no matter whether I went Aspect, Fill, or 1:1, I always got a stretched wide image.

TrackZ said:
Is there a way to get 4:3 games to display in 4:3? I was experimenting with Ninja Gaiden and Halo 2 as well, but then I also threw in Street Fighter Anniversary and no matter whether I went Aspect, Fill, or 1:1, I always got a stretched wide image.

That sounds to me like the game/console, not the screen. For instance, Soul Calibur II (4:3 only) ran fine in Aspect 4:3 mode for me. Also, so did the majority of 4:3 games on the PS2.

What setting did you have on the console itself? Both Xbox and PS2 allow for configuring 16:9 or 4:3 display mode in their menus. All my consoles are set to 16:9 for hooking up to my front projection system. I was just hoping to avoid having to change the settting in the menu to tailor it to the specific game.

For the PS2, it doesn't matter what you set the front-end up to be in - all it effects is the menu screens tbh. Xbox I've got set up to be in 16:9 mode.

I really wish the European version of the X-Box supported HD.

Is there a way to do this with the 2005FPW, that is, play Xbox in HD mode. I notice it only has an s-video plug but perhaps there is a way with a VGA adapter. So do VGA converters in combination with the 2005FPW support the HD? Thanks.

peacetilence said:
Is there a way to do this with the 2005FPW, that is, play Xbox in HD mode. I notice it only has an s-video plug but perhaps there is a way with a VGA adapter. So do VGA converters in combination with the 2005FPW support the HD? Thanks.

Yep, if you got something like an X2VGA device you could plug your Xbox into the 2005FPW via the VGA port. This will give you access to 480P and 720P. Unfortunately, the 2005FPW's top resolution isn't high enough to support 1080 (not that any xbox games worth mentioning support it anyway).

JonDo[H] said:
Yep, if you got something like an X2VGA device you could plug your Xbox into the 2005FPW via the VGA port. This will give you access to 480P and 720P. Unfortunately, the 2005FPW's top resolution isn't high enough to support 1080 (not that any xbox games worth mentioning support it anyway).

Thanks, is there a set standard resolution for upcoming consoles and more importantly to me HD-DVDs? Like will they be 780p or 1080p or both? I can't find any specifics about it.

The Gamespy preview on the Xbox 2 suggests the standard they'll be aiming for is 720P with 1080 a possibility. Of course, there's no guarantee the current VGA adapters for the Xbox will work with the Xbox 2. So you might have to wait a while for some more to be released.

Having said that, there's talk of the next gen of consoles sporting a VGA or DVI interface. So it could become a non issue.

I've posted about this before... Vdigi makes a fantastic component -> VGA adapter (comes bundled with an Xbox Hi-Def cable but works with anything)... I used it for about six months with my old 17" CRT before I got my 2405. I can't recommend it highly enough. I never did get around to trying it with a 720p game but 480p worked fine, and the best part is because it's a generic component adapter you can use any component device as long as it supports 480p (the adapter will convert 480i too but that's very dependent on the monitor, mine didn't support it). The quality improvement between S-Video through the VIVO on my PC and the Vdigi box is jaw-dropping too... incredibly sharp and clear. I think it ran me about $70 with the overseas shipping, it came within about a week.

AgentMunroe said:
I've posted about this before... Vdigi makes a fantastic component -> VGA adapter (comes bundled with an Xbox Hi-Def cable but works with anything)... I used it for about six months with my old 17" CRT before I got my 2405. I can't recommend it highly enough. I never did get around to trying it with a 720p game but 480p worked fine, and the best part is because it's a generic component adapter you can use any component device as long as it supports 480p (the adapter will convert 480i too but that's very dependent on the monitor, mine didn't support it). The quality improvement between S-Video through the VIVO on my PC and the Vdigi box is jaw-dropping too... incredibly sharp and clear. I think it ran me about $70 with the overseas shipping, it came within about a week.

Hey that's excellent! Any chance you could compare using that on your new 2405 to using the component cable direct? Do you have the official MS hi-def cable btw? The reason I ask is I found the quality of the video to be much worse using a 3rd party cable compared to the official one...

I could probably do that, although I need to dig up my digital camera (or get a new one), I'm not sure where mine is at the moment. As far as the high-def cable goes I was initially using the one they gave me with the VD-Z3, which works fine with the adapter as well as the Canon LV-X1 projector I occasionally have access to - but when I plugged it into the 2405 it had sort of a grainy snowyness to it. I found a combo PS2/Xbox component cable at Best Buy by Mad Catz for $10 (picked it up so I could use my PS2 as a progressive-scan DVD player) and the picture looks noticeably better, but it doesn't have an optical port like the VD-Z3 cable does. I'll probably wind up buying the official MS cable soon anyway to get the optical out and high-quality cable, as I'm planning on buying the high-end Logitech 5.1 system and want surround-sound in Burnout/Halo.

Anyway, I've also been curious about the picture quality with the VGA adapter compared to the component-in, so I will do that soon.

I gotta say, those soul calibur2 shots look awesome. is that 720p ? looks way better than halo; of course ,maybe thats because the halo shots are darker..

wangoflove said:
I gotta say, those soul calibur2 shots look awesome. is that 720p ? looks way better than halo; of course ,maybe thats because the halo shots are darker..
thats because halo 2 is in 480p not 720p. Also, amped 2 can display 1080i. Are you sure those are 720p shots? Ive enjoyed my xbox on my HP L2335 (had since summer 04and im sure you guys are enjoying your extra inch! lol :D

Krazy_Joe said:
thats because halo 2 is in 480p not 720p. Also, amped 2 can display 1080i. Are you sure those are 720p shots? Ive enjoyed my xbox on my HP L2335 (had since summer 04and im sure you guys are enjoying your extra inch! lol :D
max res for Amped2 is 720p :)

Back