QuackViper is back thru MajorGeeks!!!!??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as BlackViper is/was a joke, atleast they've included better descriptions and warnings. It's been beaten to death that it doesn't really do anything positive to your system, so why bother? Anyhoo, atleast the warnings and descriptions are there.

What is with all this hatred to the Viper site.

I dont remember it saying anywhere on that site that you have to do any of what he stated.

If fact I found it useful when I started getting into the Guts of 2k since it listed a description of what a service did when I had no idea

The main reason he was hated was because he offered no warnings. Before the site was redesigned, he claimed all this miraculous performance gains, without warning what disabling some services can do.

The second part of the debate, had nothing to do with Quackviper. It was about the actual performance gains, which proved to be non-existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger_sly
Is there a purpose to trolling and starting another flame war thread?

I believe it's to see who has the biggest p3nis.

Ask me again after you have fixed as tons of not working "tweaked a là BlackViper" computers...

eeyrjmr said:
I dont remember it saying anywhere on that site that you have to do any of what he stated.
He fixed that cause he was getting too much complains.
At first, he basically said he had the panacea for all our computer speed problems...

eeyrjmr said:
If fact I found it useful when I started getting into the Guts of 2k since it listed a description of what a service did when I had no idea
This asshole knows as much about what services do as I know about the surface of Mars... In short, all those "very usefull" descriptions are copied and pasted from Microsofts descriptions inside services.msc.
He only adds a few stupid lines which in the end dont explain shit but make him look cool...

chinoquezada said:
Ask me again after you have fixed as tons of not working "tweaked a là BlackViper" computers...
Of course, "tons" in this case translates as "not one". So far, of over 41,000 people on these forums, one had a problem...he couldn't defrag, because he shut off RPC. Here's what Blackviper says about RPC:
Vital.
Hmmm...and he's right!

O[H]-Zone said:
Of course, "tons" in this case translates as "not one". So far, of over 41,000 people on these forums, one had a problem...he couldn't defrag, because he shut off RPC. Here's what Blackviper says about RPC:
Vital.
Hmmm...and he's right!

QFT

Computer issues caused by black viper are because of people being idiots turning off stuff they shouldn't.

I'm not saying he is a god amung men, but every little bit of freed up resources, is more resources you have to use for something else

O[H]-Zone said:
Vital.
Hmmm...and he's right!
ok...
I have a friend who makes stamped t-shirts, want me to talk to him?
I'll even make the "i love BlackViper" design for you. PM me if you want more info.

If you can't see how a guide such as that would make the "average joe" think its ok to go on shutting services like there's no tomorrow and hope their P3 300Mz would run Doom3, there is nothing more i could possibly say to you...

Komataguri said:
Computer issues caused by black viper are because of people being idiots turning off stuff they shouldn't.

I'm not saying he is a god amung men, but every little bit of freed up resources, is more resources you have to use for something else

Agreed on the first statement

About the second. Stopping services doesnt free up resources, at the very least not enough to be noticeable or helpfull for anything you might need.

chinoquezada said:
ok...
I have a friend who makes stamped t-shirts, want me to talk to him?
I'll even make the "i love BlackViper" design for you. PM me if you want more info.
I have to admit, I'm a bit confused...I'm not really sure what t-shirts have to do with the matter at hand. However, I must decline your kind offer; I just don't know you well enough to accept presents from you. I am sorry...

chinoquezada said:
If you can't see how a guide such as that would make the "average joe" think its ok to go on shutting services like there's no tomorrow and hope their P3 300Mz would run Doom3, there is nothing more i could possibly say to you...
Again, I am a bit confused. I was wondering where these "tons of not working "tweaked a là BlackViper" computers" are. What does Doom 3 and P3 300Mhz machines have to do with that?
Addressing this new point; no, I really can't see the average Joe reading it and thinking he can run a combination like that. I'm sure there are some who might think that, but they'd be far below average.

We have this discussion all the time.

This is how it's going to go. Disabling services is not the work of the devil. It's not something someone should just jump into, but most users on this forum have probably messed with their computers enough to try messing with their services. It's their choice, and the only sane advice to give is to let people know that their is a risk that something can break. You would use the same warning when overclocking, YMMV, but by all means if you want to add an extra layer of security to your machine by disabling some services or to max out a 3DMark score, go right on. Will a maxed out 3DMark score translate into better performance during real-gaming conditions? Probably not, but that's why you need to know what you want to accomplish beforehand. Will this added layer of security by disabling services save you from being hacked? Probably not given that if someone got in deep enough to take advantage of a running service, your machine is probably hosed to begin with.

Again. No one is blatantly saying there is NO risk in disabling services. The message should be, in most cases, it's probably not a wise decision to tweak with the unknown, but if you have a goal in mind, research what might benefit your needs.

run-on sentences be damned.

odoe said:

This is how it's going to go. Disabling services is not the work of the devil. It's not something someone should just jump into, but most users on this forum have probably messed with their computers enough to try messing with their services. It's their choice, and the only sane advice to give is to let people know that their is a risk that something can break. You would use the same warning when overclocking, YMMV, but by all means if you want to add an extra layer of security to your machine by disabling some services or to max out a 3DMark score, go right on. Will a maxed out 3DMark score translate into better performance during real-gaming conditions? Probably not, but that's why you need to know what you want to accomplish beforehand. Will this added layer of security by disabling services save you from being hacked? Probably not given that if someone got in deep enough to take advantage of a running service, your machine is probably hosed to begin with.

Again. No one is blatantly saying there is NO risk in disabling services. The message should be, in most cases, it's probably not a wise decision to tweak with the unknown, but if you have a goal in mind, research what might benefit your needs.

Bingo! We have a winner! I agree with everything in this post.

odoe said:

This is why this guy is a mod....cuz he has common sense.

This post should be stickied.

I'm all for it being a sticky as well. Disabling services isn't going to give any performance increase, but if someone wants to do it, and follows a guide that CLEARLY includes warnings and descriptions for EACH service, than all is fine.

As with the OP, I've had the misfortune of fixing MANY PCs where the user went in and disabled services left and right. Not all of these people followed Quackviper's site. Most of the them just went in on their own, disabling anything that didn't seem needed.

It, at one time, was a big deal on here. What certain people don't realize is, the search results only go back to 2004, if I remember right. I've been around for a lot longer than that, including the times when Blackviper.com was popular, and most people would go there as part of their normal tweaking routine. These very forums used to be flooded with problems of users disabling something because there was no description or warning of that service. THAT is why his site has become so hated.

In short, disabling services willy nilly is a great way to render a system unstable. Making educated, informed decisions on disabling some services is fine. I personally disable the Wireless Zero Config service on any of my PCs that do not use wireless adapters.

djnes said:
As with the OP, I've had the misfortune of fixing MANY PCs where the user went in and disabled services left and right. Not all of these people followed Quackviper's site. Most of the them just went in on their own, disabling anything that didn't seem needed.

It, at one time, was a big deal on here. What certain people don't realize is, the search results only go back to 2004, if I remember right. I've been around for a lot longer than that, including the times when Blackviper.com was popular, and most people would go there as part of their normal tweaking routine. These very forums used to be flooded with problems of users disabling something because there was no description or warning of that service. THAT is why his site has become so hated.
So you're saying that before 2004, disabling services was a problem, but now it's not? That if we search through the last 11 years of posts we get nothing, but if we could only search back farther, we'd see all sorts of problems? You've been a member since 2000...in the four years from 2000 to 2004, there were computers getting hosed by this, but for the 11 years since, it hasn't happened? I'm not buying into that for one femtosecond. Seriously, it's time to drop the "ooh, you're going to hose your box" routine...nobody (let me emphasize this: Not one single, solitary person) has "hosed his box" by disabling services on these forums. That's 41,000 people. That's odds of 0.0%.

I found BV site informing, and I liked his tips and information. what I don't understand is that people don't seem to have the common sense that anytime you mess with system service/registries/files you are at a risk at braking something if you do not know what you are doing. I know that Windows XP pro has many services running that most people don't use or need, and for disabling and gaining performance you mileage may very, but that's the risk you take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back