Attention 7800 GTX owners. Have you replaced your stock cooler yet?

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
Well, after not having my BFG 7800 GTX for 24 hours yet, I went ahead and took the darn thing apart and I replaced it with a Zalman VF-700 cooler. everything bolted on just fine and my idle temps went from the 51C area to the 39C area. load temps went from the 84C area to the 61C area. needless to say that it was well worth the money and the effort. the card chugs right along quite nicely at 501/1400 with no troubles or worries.

7800gtx1.jpg

That's a good idea, I never thought the Zalman would fit. I might pick that up before going SLi. Are the rumours true though about the card throttling because the fan spins at a lower speed than the stock version? Too bad that heatsink looks ass ugly on a Green PCB :mad:

neubspeed said:
Are the rumours true though about the card throttling because the fan spins at a lower speed than the stock version?

I dont know if my card is throttling or not.

but if it is, my 8696 3DMark '05 test isnt too shabby for a card that is throttling.

ozziegn said:
I dont know if my card is throttling or not.

but if it is, my 8696 3DMark '05 test isnt too shabby for a card that is throttling.
did you test before and after swapping the cooler?

neubspeed said:
Are the rumours true though about the card throttling because the fan spins at a lower speed than the stock version?
They fixed that and a whole bunch of problems with the latest Beta drivers (v.77.76 as we speak). :) Grab 'em here:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_77.76.html
# Issues resolved since ForceWare 77.72
* GeForce 7800 GTX clock reduction when using extremely cold temperatures to cool the GPU

1c3d0g said:
They fixed that and a whole bunch of problems with the latest Beta drivers (v.77.76 as we speak). :) Grab 'em here:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_77.76.html
# Issues resolved since ForceWare 77.72
* GeForce 7800 GTX clock reduction when using extremely cold temperatures to cool the GPU

That driver won't do anything for his throttling (which it likely ISN'T doing, btw). It will only deal with the cold bug throttling that occurs at 35C (now occurs at 10C).

BFG cards are not affected by the fan throttle...only XFX is (I think....maybe it was Leadtek, but most definitely not BFG!).

This is a dumb question but on nvidia's website it says (under top five downloads, as of now) "New! Release 75 graphics driver." but when I click on the link and say graphics driver -> geforce -> windowsxp the driver is the 77.72. I though it would be the 77.75 or something. I clicked the link for the beta drivers and that works, but what do they mean by the release 75 graphics driver.

wow that was fast .. i love the temp differences .. u think with that cooler it would fit in SLI or no ??? trying to decide what to do

zappa86 said:
This is a dumb question but on nvidia's website it says (under top five downloads, as of now) "New! Release 75 graphics driver." but when I click on the link and say graphics driver -> geforce -> windowsxp the driver is the 77.72. I though it would be the 77.75 or something. I clicked the link for the beta drivers and that works, but what do they mean by the release 75 graphics driver.
:confused: You don't know what you're talking about, do you? :confused:

75 series is *loosely* derived from the first two numbers...when they say 75 series it just means it has a common feature set as the others in that series...

I don't know if those Zalman's would work with two of those in SLi on my mobo.

Ether said:
That driver won't do anything for his throttling (which it likely ISN'T doing, btw). It will only deal with the cold bug throttling that occurs at 35C (now occurs at 10C).

BFG cards are not affected by the fan throttle...only XFX is (I think....maybe it was Leadtek, but most definitely not BFG!).

That was eVGA, at the very least. Since most cards are so "reference", it could affect more than just eVGA.

It's kind of unfortunate that in order to rub it in ATi's nose, nVidia had its OEM's rush it out the door, meaning no cards got any special custom coolers from the usual guys like Leadtek. Oh well, the Fall refresh could take care of that.

I'll probably have to slap some aftermarket job on mine eventually...first order now that I can actually hear my case fans above my GPU fan (stupid 6800GT :p) is to quiet that down...I'd be thinking about WC but I have a Stacker with 11 hard drives...kinda want the airflow.

Ive got the hybrid version on my eVGA 6800GT and I love it. Unfortunately I can't OC the card while playing BF2 because I get artifacts. No other game does it at 420 core, only BF2.

Anyways, this cooler will work via SLi mode, there is room but it cuts it close. The only problem is that when using two of these Zalman coolers on cards running SLi the coolers become less efficient. At least thats what I read on this review site.

Ether said:
:confused: You don't know what you're talking about, do you? :confused:

75 series is *loosely* derived from the first two numbers...when they say 75 series it just means it has a common feature set as the others in that series...

Alright, thanks, got confused on that.

dolphumous said:
You ever get that last RAMSink on?

:cool:

my VF-700 only came with eight memory sinks total. four memory sinks per side.

besides that, that chip that you see uncovered is the chip that was directly underneath the stock fan which wasnt being cooled by nothing. so I figured it wasnt too important to cool it any further.

Sir-Fragalot said:

that depends. does your SLi board have two PCI slots between the two PCI-E slots like mine does? if so, then you shouldnt have any problems with running two VF-700 coolers on an SLi setup.

take a look at the space between the two PCI-E slots on my board. as you can see, there'd be plenty of room for a second 7800 GTX with a VF-700 cooler if/when I ever do the SLi thing.

lian_li8.jpg

EnderW said:
did you test before and after swapping the cooler?

nope, I sure didnt.

I swapped out the coolers pretty darn quickly. I dont waste any time using stock video card coolers. :p

Ether said:

thats great info to know. thanks a bunch...

Ordered that cooler for my 7800 last night. May get another if i decide to get another 7800 this week, but have to wait to make sure two zalmans would fit in my case. (pretty sure they will, but can't be too careful...)

id love to use these...too bad it wont work on most SLi setups. it says on the site it blocks the next PCI slot over. the only boards that have an extra slot are the asus ones. so most of us are out of luck.

someone correct me if im wrong, cuz frys had a few in stock and id love to go get a pair.

Got mine from newegg. (the all copper one).
Even tho i may have to move my sound card, looks like 2 would fit on 7800's in an asus A8N premium like was mentioned before.

PhoenixC5 said:
someone correct me if im wrong, cuz frys had a few in stock and id love to go get a pair.

you couldnt use them on your Fatal1ty board because the memory heatsinks on the second PCI-E card would hit the first PCI-E main cooler.

kamxam said:
Got mine from newegg. (the all copper one).
Even tho i may have to move my sound card, looks like 2 would fit on 7800's in an asus A8N premium like was mentioned before.

yeah, two coolers would work great on that board because there's a decent amount of room between the two PCI-E slots.

ozziegn said:
that depends. does your SLi board have two PCI slots between the two PCI-E slots like mine does? if so, then you shouldnt have any problems with running two VF-700 coolers on an SLi setup.

take a look at the space between the two PCI-E slots on my board. as you can see, there'd be plenty of room for a second 7800 GTX with a VF-700 cooler if/when I ever do the SLi thing.

No it doesn't. The Tyan K8WE leaves only one slot between the two. Its unfortunate, but for dual Opteron's it is the best choice for a motherboard by far. So I'll just have to live with stock cooling.

Nope, waiting for AC to get a proper version of the silencer out. I dont like swirling how air around in my case. If I can get it out, I do.

fallguy said:
Nope, waiting for AC to get a proper version of the silencer out. I dont like swirling how air around in my case. If I can get it out, I do.

I prefer the NV Silencer products myself. They'd never fit on my cards with my motherboard though.

Here are some pics I just took with my 6800GT using the Zalman hybrid on an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLi motherboard.

zalman1.jpg

zalman2.jpg

zalman3.jpg

As you can see the PCI slot above the PCI-E would become unusable but it looks like there would be room for two of them.

Think having two would cause any airflow problems?

dR.Jester said:
Here are some pics I just took with my 6800GT using the Zalman hybrid on an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLi motherboard.

zalman1.jpg

zalman2.jpg

zalman3.jpg

As you can see the PCI slot above the PCI-E would become unusable but it looks like there would be room for two of them.

Think having two would cause any airflow problems?

I guess then that I might be able to do two of them. Although I really have no idea how bad the top one's airflow would be cut. In my situation I might be better off with stock cooling.

Is the stock cooling on the 7800GTX better than the 6800GT? When I first saw the temps on the 6800 I about shat myself.

dR.Jester said:
Is the stock cooling on the 7800GTX better than the 6800GT? When I first saw the temps on the 6800 I about shat myself.

Much. The 6800GT's cooler sucked ass, it was loud as all hell and didn't cool for shit. The 7800GTX's stock cooler, while not being phenomenal, is quite acceptable. Quiet & keeps the temperatures within reasonable levels.

With the 77.76 drivers i saw my temps shoot up 20C in games versus 77.72. That is enabling SLI16AA as opposed to the 8xS I had been running previously.

I'm going to wait and pick up the Arctic Silencer that comes out for the 7xxx series cards. I really like how it exhausts the hot air out the back of the case instead of just circulating it around to other components in the system.

Anyone have before/after info on these, not just temps but what stable clocks you were able to get, and performance at what res/quality?

Only takes one card slot instead of two which Zalman does. Once warranty ends then I might switch it if I have the room. I just got my two 7800 gtx's last friday with EVGA setup program.

I am waiting for Consumer9000 to finish perfecting the NV7800C1 cooler... he made a monster of a heatsink for the 6800 series (2 pounds of copper w/ 80mm fan mount) and it totally kicked ass...

Although I love the rainbowy heatsink design from XFX, I miss the blue glow of my bling 80mm on the old 6800 GT.

Consumer9000 makes some high quality products, and he stands behind them too... check out his site at www.stasisthermal.com

You can also see my review of the NV6800C1 at www.zinn-x.com/metamorphosis/nv6800c1-1.htm

I would like to know if you could have the zalman cooler running sli on the 7800s in a DFI nforce 4 board.

Sir-Fragalot said:

The zalmans will work on any SLI mobo btw... I used dual 6800GTs with zalman vf700-CUs on three different SLI boards with no problem. Except you have to remove the bottom brace of the the VF700 on GPU2 (and its corresponding mounting screws)

Back