AA8XE ~ Anyone notice a high pitched noise possibly related to ram?

Jodiuh

Supreme [H]ardness
See bottom of thread for resolution

It's either the board or the ram. But whenever I scroll up or down in a web page or start up something intensive, I'll get a "circuit noise" that varies pitch. It's faint, but terribly annoying when all is quiet. It happens at stock speeds too. My mem is ocz valueram ddr2.

This isn't something that affects ddr2 in general is it?

I have the AA8XE & OCZ value ram. No other noise is audible than the whirring of my case fans!!

Is it definately coming from the RAM area of your motherboard & not elsewhere? :confused:

Yes, but it may be the board. I suppose the easiest way to go would be for me to stick some new ram in there. I just hope it's not the mobo, :(

Well it happened with the antec tp 550 too, so I don't think...omg...my kitty just shat a nasty one! oh phewwwwwwwwwwwww

fixed!!

Anyway, I finally got around to ordering a new AA8XE. The board I had previously def had some issues. And ears shouldn't bleed after moving a window around the desktop. And so my mobo screameth no more and peace I have. Truly, the only way to hear the noise now consists of:

-everest's read or sandras mem
-turn all the fans off (incl cpu/gpu)
-stick my ear on the ram :)

and even then it's a toss up as to whether or not I'm imagining the noise :p

Now here comes the REALLY interesting part. If you look at the ss below, you'll see that in general the old (sonic headache) mobo seemed to produce more voltage than the new (sonic friendly) mobo. Whether this was actually a sign of a problem board or not, I don't know.

AA8Xe's compared.JPG

I can tell you this tho, reliable operation above 260FSB seems to be a very real possibility now. I'm runnin' dual p95,rthdribl stable at 275 right now. :santa:

Back