How does my gaming PC compare to XBox 360?

biggles

2[H]4U
See sig for rig. Right now there are 3 PC ports to compare: NFS:MW, Quake 4, and COD2. I'm guessing the XBox 360 versions would look a little better than on my PC? Trying to figure out if an XBox 360 purchase in the next several months would make sense for me.

the 360 would be a fine choice imo. but considering you said "next several months" maybe you want to wait and see what kind of hand Sony deals?

360, you have a similar setup to mine cept i have an A64 2.4ghz, and 360s cod2 looks better then my pc and plays hell-of-alot smoother

remember like in the PC world if you wait then better will always come out and you will keep on waiting.

buy and xbox360 now and you'll love it

buy a ps3 later and you'll love it

upgrade your PC with w/e you can afford and you'll love it...

the fact is that you can always wait for better so enjoy what you can now

The little diff in the console market is that you may be a bigger fan of another and you just wait for that one to come out...but if you want a 360 jsut get it and don't wait for sumthin else.

Considering upgrading your computer will require a new CPU / Mobo / Videocard / Heatsink + fan / RAM , I think the XBOX360 would be the better choice for you.

I'm playing Quake4 & COD2 right now using a 6800. I run at 1280X1024. I see no reason to get a 360 right now when I can play the same games on my pc, use a keyboard and mouse and play at the same or better resolution. Not too mention the games cost less for the PC and have way more mods and options.

Wait for a price drop, hardware revision and better selection of games before getting a 360.

prime i wanna see a video of you apply 1280x1024 max settings 4xaa and playing the game

please, because i was under the impression my 6800gt cant shake a stick at quake4, infact the COD2 demo, i run 1280x960 4xaa and max detail settings it has(which isnt retails max)and it dips in the 20s and somtimes lower, but i must be doing something wrong if your AXP rig is handleing games better then mine

biggles said:
See sig for rig. Right now there are 3 PC ports to compare: NFS:MW, Quake 4, and COD2. I'm guessing the XBox 360 versions would look a little better than on my PC? Trying to figure out if an XBox 360 purchase in the next several months would make sense for me.

Get XBOX 360. It toasts your PC (and mine).

XBox is rediculous compared to computers currently. I've seen dual 7800's ect and they don't look like what the xbox does. I was playing it last night and am just amazed.

i dont pay to play online, period. Therefore Xbox is out of the question...

polydiol said:
what about the added cost of a TV to play the cosole on?

What about playing the XBOX360 on your computer monitor ?

Uh I dont think xbox360 comes close to my Dual GTX's and AMD64 4000+ but alright.

The graphics on it dont impress me at all.

Upgrade your pc and enjoy gaming with a mouse and keyboard. If you want, you can even hook the xbox controller up to your pc :D

J-M-E said:
If PGR3's graphics don't impress you, what exactly on the PC does? Super duper AA and AF on your mightly dual GTX's?

biggles said:

360 pretty much kills that computer.

Ballz2TheWallz said:
prime i wanna see a video of you apply 1280x1024 max settings 4xaa and playing the game

please, because i was under the impression my 6800gt cant shake a stick at quake4, infact the COD2 demo, i run 1280x960 4xaa and max detail settings it has(which isnt retails max)and it dips in the 20s and somtimes lower, but i must be doing something wrong if your AXP rig is handleing games better then mine

Granted it is the demo but I played Quake 4 last night with everything maxed out and a 1600x1200 res, no AA and I was getting well above 40-50 FPS on a AMD 2400+ and a 6800gt, I was amazed, it playes better than farcry does...

Budwise said:
i dont pay to play online, period. Therefore Xbox is out of the question...

Yeah you do...unless you're getting free internet...

Someone with that kind of rig is to cheap to pay $50 a YEAR?

Ballz2TheWallz said:

The xbox 360 definitely can't handle Q4. It's a terrible port and the fame rate is very low. The 6800GT pretty much matches the xbox 360 in the games that are ports as it can run them at 1280x1024 2xaa and thats the same as a 360.

Flak Monkey said:
The xbox 360 definitely can't handle Q4. It's a terrible port and the fame rate is very low. The 6800GT pretty much matches the xbox 360 in the games that are ports as it can run them at 1280x1024 2xaa and thats the same as a 360.
well, i understand port + opengl isnt the best thing for the 360(being ati sucks with opengl), but still ill admit dispite the benchmarks ive seen, 1600x1200 HQ is playable on my rig

Flak Monkey said:

I think it can't "handle" it because its a terrible port. Get your sh1t straight. Xbox 360 can push out PD:Z,PGR3,CoD2, and Kameo at super smooth framerates...all of which look 10x better than Quake 4. :rolleyes:

J-M-E said:
Uh I dont think xbox360 comes close to my Dual GTX's and AMD64 4000+ but alright.

Upgrade your pc and enjoy gaming with a mouse and keyboard. If you want, you can even hook the xbox controller up to your pc :D
If I upgraded my rig with a hybrid agp/pci express motherboard, could keep my old agp videocard. Like this board at $70:
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050916/index.html
Then, I found an A64 3800+ on pricewatch for $230.
Not sure if I can keep the old pc2700 ram though (would I need to get pc3200 ram?)...anyway, how would this upgraded system would compare to a 360???

Circuitbreaker8 said:
I think it can't "handle" it because its a terrible port. Get your sh1t straight. Xbox 360 can push out PD:Z,PGR3,CoD2, and Kameo at super smooth framerates...all of which look 10x better than Quake 4. :rolleyes:

Going by paper specs and cgi pictures your gonna just end up making yourself look stupid in the end! :p

biggles said:
If I upgraded my rig with a hybrid agp/pci express motherboard, could keep my old agp videocard. Like this board at $70:
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050916/index.html
Then, I found an A64 3800+ on pricewatch for $230.
Not sure if I can keep the old pc2700 ram though (would I need to get pc3200 ram?)...anyway, how would this upgraded system would compare to a 360???

Just buy a 360. I had doubts about the system but was really surprised at how nice it is

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Only one of the games you named has anything to do with this thread. He asked about Q4, CoD2 and NFS:MS. I have no idea how NFS:MS performs on the xbox 360 but CoD2 and Q4 are just as good if not better on his rig. CoD2 may be close but for the price of an Xbox360 right now he could get a 7800gtx and blow the 360 out of the water.

Flak Monkey said:
Only one of the games you named has anything to do with this thread. He asked about Q4, CoD2 and NFS:MS. I have no idea how NFS:MS performs on the xbox 360 but CoD2 and Q4 are just as good if not better on his rig. CoD2 may be close but for the price of an Xbox360 right now he could get a 7800gtx and blow the 360 out of the water.

Really? Thats funny...because every review says the 360 version of CoD2 is better. And hes going to need more than a 7800GTX to blow 360 ;)

Why did someone create this thread, anyway? It's just asking for trouble, as is clearly demonstrated by the last few gems of responses.

If you have a HDTV already, there is no doubt in my mind you want a 360. If you don't...then it's kinda up in the air, the 360 is still going to give you a good gaming experience.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Yeah you do...unless you're getting free internet...

Someone with that kind of rig is to cheap to pay $50 a YEAR?

He might have dial up hence not being able to get or use xbox live to its full extent.

PC and games good for me, waiting for PS3, but I play both so its not PC VS. XBOX 360/PS3/REVOLUTION ??? WHICH ONE AHHHHH. I'm done.

steviep said:
Why did someone create this thread, anyway? It's just asking for trouble, as is clearly demonstrated by the last few gems of responses.
No, as the thread creator I am not responsible for anybody but myself. There is a need to understand how the XBox 360 compares to gaming PCs so that folks can decide whether to upgrade their PCs or to get a 360. Many are on a budget and cannot afford to do both.

Happy Thanksgiving all. :)

Circuitbreaker8 said:
No, some of us actually have the system. :rolleyes:

In that case learn to set your PC res ABOVE 640x480! :p

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Really? Thats funny...because every review says the 360 version of CoD2 is better. And hes going to need more than a 7800GTX to blow 360 ;)

$$ talks. Again your going by what a "review" said and not hands on expierence. Maybe the reviewers has problems setting their PCs above 640x480 as well! ;)

Flak Monkey said:
How is COD 2 better on his rig than the 360 when my rig is better than his and handles COD 2 like cold molasses.

The simple fact is your better off with the xbox360 for the price if your gaming. I love my computers, but consoles offer more. Better select/variety of games. Also, some games are just more fun with a controler, while sitting at the couch, playing on your big screen tv. The xbox360 offers gaming performance of a highend PC for cheap. Not sure which is faster or has better graphics, but its close and really shouldn't be a factor. Oh and I also see no reason to wait for a ps3 unless your a sony fan. Graphics wont be much better if at all, xbox360 will offer most of the same games ps3 does. Both are HDTV. But the ps3 wont be out until next christmas in the USA.

ClearM4 said:
The simple fact is your better off with the xbox360 for the price if your gaming. I love my computers, but consoles offer more. Better select/variety of games. Also, some games are just more fun with a controler, while sitting at the couch, playing on your big screen tv. The xbox360 offers gaming performance of a highend PC for cheap. Not sure which is faster or has better graphics, but its close and really shouldn't be a factor. Oh and I also see no reason to wait for a ps3 unless your a sony fan. Graphics wont be much better if at all, xbox360 will offer most of the same games ps3 does. Both are HDTV. But the ps3 wont be out until next christmas in the USA.
i beg to differ, any "cross platform games" should never be a console decideing factor, it should be on what exclusives you want, it also holds true that pc ports are more prominant on xbox1 plus i prefer TES games, halo, rare(conkers, pd0, kameo, fucking roll people), and forza is just more fun the GT was to me, all on what you prefer

From what I've read the 360 and the PC aren't comparable.

For example the Xenon is a triple power pc core. A very slow in order power pc core. It's safe to say that it's faster then your Athlon XP given that the 360 developers code very well. Since the Xenon chip will depend on very neat code from developers.

The 360 graphics chip is also hard to compare to a PC. The ATI chip has 48 shader pipe lines compared to the 24 pipes in the 6800. Problem is they aren't the same. The 360 has unified shaders and the 6800 uses Pixel shader 3.0.

My suggestion is to sit back and wait. If there isn't any games you like on the 360 then don't go crazy over it. Especially with all this talk about defective 360's and everyone selling them for thousands of bucks.

Trust me your PC will play games in the near future just fine. The games your PC will play will look just as good as anything on the 360. Don't spend money unless you have a good reason.

We don't need another Captain Capitalism

Back