Commercial Grade Sprinkler System 1 - My rig 0

Jodiuh

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, where to begin. Let's see. How bout when My bro got a new job which involved some fairly heft 3d modeling work. The "IT guy" saw fit to dump a Sony TX650 ($2500) on him. Now I understand portable's great, but this little guy gets HOT. And I think it may have had something to do with the 60+ processes run on it. Don't even get me started on the sequential read time from the HDD...(slower than my flash drive and 20ms+ random access).

So of course I told my bro, "Dude, you're gettin an ASUS!" :p So for under 2k, we ordered the following:

Asus z71v DVDRW, 6600 GO
Pentium M 760
2x1GB DDR2
Hitachi 80GB 7200
wi-fi card
xp pro
office 2003 sbe

The parts got here on Friday, but we waited til Sunday to take care of business. So off we went painting the pm with as ceramique...

Jod says, "He K2, would you mind hanging that spotlight up so I can see?"

Popping in ram chips and sniffing the new silicon, we truly had a good sunday goin on. Eventually the big light became more of a nuisance and wasn't worth the added heat/light. So I say, "Bro, would you mind taking down that light?"

Let's stop for a second. I recently moved to Tempe, AZ from NW Indiana and boy hoooo-----eeeeeee...D-R-Y!! So some of the apt complexes have BIG, SCARY H20 Cannons protecting...something. And some of those Cannons have a little bitty cylinder of glass holding the pressure valve shut. Ideally, the fire breaks the glass and water fun ensues.

UNIDEALLY MY BRO DECIDED TO HANG A THICK PLASTIC HANGER BETWEEN THE GLASS CYLINDER AND THE ONE OF THE WALL MOUNTS IN WHICH TO HOLD THE LIGHT.

Well, the glass broke and I have never been hit harder with water in my life. The old, nasty black water piped out for a moment before I grabbed my running rig (in sig) and RAN! My thought was...save the drives!! I kept going back and grabbing more gear, but it was obvious from the get go nothing was coming out alive.

The laptop got it the worst as it was running with the underside completely exposed. Within two minutes, tubs of toys began floating there way out the door. Nano, Canon Powershots, Sennheiser's, Beyer's, P4's (8hr lapped!!), mobo's, Phones, a pair of LCD's...the ups, God bless it's little heart kept everything running so as to insure complete fryage.

:(

So that was it, within seconds all my goodies were done. As I sit here about to fire up some drives, I ask you kind [H]crowd for any advice on where to...

1. The drives. I've allowed them to hang out under a commercial grade fan overnight (didn't get wet anyway). If my data's there, then I'll be much, much less stressed.

2. My bro's got liability. From what I know so far, an adjuster will come out in the next day or so. With computers, they take a few of the high end parts and test them before doling out the fundage. Now, I don't feel very comfortable with Joe, the adjuster guy "testing" my 7800GTX or fondling my new X2. And now only that, but the testing is SURE to take time.
With all that in mind, I'd rather just test the stuff myself.

So basically...have any of you guys/gals gone through this before? Should I just say fubar it and have them test? Should I do it myself...

Any other tips...I just feel so... :(

Sprinker%20vs%20my%20rig.jpg

Sprinker%20vs%20my%20rig%20(1).jpg

Sprinker%20vs%20my%20rig%20(2).jpg

Sprinker%20vs%20my%20rig%20(3).jpg

Sprinker%20vs%20my%20rig%20(4).jpg

Sprinker%20vs%20my%20rig%20(5).jpg

Sprinker%20vs%20my%20rig%20(6).jpg

Jodiuh said:

:eek:
Is that card on the wall, supposed to be there?

had me chuckling though ;)

can't the processors be saved? I mean once its dry, it should be fine unless that "black water" has major contaiminants.....

so good luck :D hope you and you brother are getting along fine... :p

Just hope the complex doesn't hammer him for causing all the damage, along with the r/r on the sprinkler head.

Oh my... I wouldn't want to be... yeah...

Sorry, no advice except my comment, "Oh my..."

:(

-J.

Alright...I am sorry to hear that you had this happen but come on...

...you can't tell me that neither one of you looked up at your light rigged onto/next to/whatever that sprinkler head and thought "gee whiz that looks like a crappy place to put a HOT light". :rolleyes:

Ouch!
Actually, this looks familiar...
About a year ago, a fridge broke in the apartment above mine, and dumped ~40 gallons of water through the floor, and right onto the compy. That being said, you might be amazed at what will still run. My advice?

If you have receipts, KEEP A COPY OF THEM. They will be invaluable to determining the value of dead equipment. Just as an example, they tried to tell me that my three month old Radeon X800 vivo (This was in August, 2004) was only valued at $50. After sending in the receipt, they relented and gave up $400 for it (almost what I paid for it).

Keep a record of what was in your apartment, and move the valuable items somewhere else. I'm still trying to find some items that seemed to disappear while the cleanup crew was working…

As far as the equipment testing, I'm sure that varies with the insurance company. The stuff that I declared dead needed to go in for testing. The testing period varied by item. For example, the PC components went through in about a week, and the monitor took two. On the other hand, the rug took about a month.

For the stuff worth salvaging, here's a rule that seemed to work for me. Take the time that you think will be required for the equipment to dry, and then add two days onto that. The hard drives usually hold up well to water (depending on the dousing), and generally power up. Same with the optical drives and other such enclosed devices. As for exposed components, it's hit or miss. For example, after draining and cleaning my system, the board and processor still functioned. The ram was good too. Even the power supply still worked. On the other hand, the sound card was dead, and the video card was warped.

I hope this info was somewhat helpful.
Good luck with your dilemma, and let us know how it turns out!

You should teabag your bro. Thats my advice. :p

As for the insurance adjuster he's more than likely not going to know jack squat about any of your stuff.

Sprinkler heads are cheap to replace, I used to install them...The cleanup of everything else is not cheap though...

The fire does not break the glass, the small bubble expands in the glass vial, since you cannot compress a liquid and the bubble is expanding, the glass pops...once that is gone, the plug comes out and you have an indoor rainshower...

The nasty black shit is from the water sitting in steel pipe for who knows how long...it is full of iron oxide, and quite possible your soaked components are filled with rust particles.

Kind of surprised there was no head guard on it though...

http://www.nfsa.org/info/fyi/fyidischarge.html

Finally got my insurance check, here's a list of the main rig's components.:

CM Stacker 810 w/ Window
4 x silverstone 120mm 1200rpm
OCZ Powerstream 520 SLI

DFI Expert
Opteron 170
Scythe Ninja w/ silverstone 120mm 1200rpm

2 x 1GB Patriot PC3200CL2
WD 150GB Raptor
2 x Hitachi 250GB
2 x BenQ 1655 DVDRW
Mitsumi Floppy + Media reader

2 x 7800 GTX
2 x Zalman vf700-cu
Samsung 204b 20.1 1600x1200 5MS response time
Canon Powershot A610
1GB SD Patriot 133x

X-Fi Xtrememusic
M-Audio Studio Pro 4
Sennheiser HD580
Pimeta built by Mister X
Ipod Nano 4GB

Logitech Ultra X
Rosewill RK500
Logitech MX518
APC 1000VA
Brother HL-5150D Laser with duplex printing

All will be here before the weekend for a lan party!! Woohoo!

Jodiuh said:
Finally got my insurance check, here's a list of the main rig's components.:

CM Stacker 810 w/ Window
4 x silverstone 120mm 1200rpm
OCZ Powerstream 520 SLI

DFI Expert
Opteron 170
Scythe Ninja w/ silverstone 120mm 1200rpm

2 x 1GB Patriot PC3200CL2
WD 150GB Raptor
2 x Hitachi 250GB
2 x BenQ 1655 DVDRW
Mitsumi Floppy + Media reader

2 x 7800 GTX
2 x Zalman vf700-cu
Samsung 204b 20.1 1600x1200 5MS response time
Canon Powershot A610
1GB SD Patriot 133x

X-Fi Xtrememusic
M-Audio Studio Pro 4
Sennheiser HD580
Pimeta built by Mister X
Ipod Nano 4GB

Logitech Ultra X
Rosewill RK500
Logitech MX518
APC 1000VA
Brother HL-5150D Laser with duplex printing

All will be here before the weekend for a lan party!! Woohoo!

Couldnt a single 7800GTX easily power that monitor? Why not go 24+ with that setup?

Deadsexy said:
Couldnt a single 7800GTX easily power that monitor? Why not go 24+ with that setup?

Nope...

1600x1200 4xTSAA 16xAniso and no soft shadows
FEAR%201600x1200%204xTSAA%2016xAniso.JPG

For reference, I prefer the numbers like these...
1280x1024 2xTSAA 8xAniso and no soft shadows
1280x1024%202xTSAA%20GAMMA%204xAS%20HIGH%20DETAIL.JPG

For poops and giggles, here's what soft shadows does
FEAR%201600x1200%204xTSAA%2016xAniso%20and%20Soft%20Shadows.JPG

Ouch man, sorry I can't offer much other than condolences. This reminds me though: I really need to get insurance! :eek:

Looks like it turned out somewhat ok for yhou in the end. Still a shitty situation, though. My condolences.

So you got 100% payback from the insurance? Good job.

Did you get your laptop and apartment damages payed for as well?

I had the priveledge of seeing his new rig in action at my LAN on Saturday. Umm... 1600x1200 with all the goodies on in FEAR is near orgasmic. Absolutely stunning! The explosion effects and slow-mo action was the best I've ever seen in any game.

And to think all it took was some water to get this ball rolling... hehe

Ballz2TheWallz said:
*gets the hose*

whos first?
LMFAO! Haha, thanks for the laughs :p
qbert95 said:
well he can kiss his security deposit goodbye :p
:( Didn't claim that...
Steve-o-man said:
So you got 100% payback from the insurance? Good job.

Did you get your laptop and apartment damages payed for as well?
Nope, they cut out $600 bucks and took damn near a month to get it to me. The laptop's actually not covered since it's my bros. He's gotta pay out a 1,000 deductible in order to get that set...

Overall the experience sucked. However I will say that I'm coming out "way" ahead in the end :D

The Opty 170 and the Raptor 150
Opteron%20170.JPG

Raptor%20150.JPG

Ninja humpin' the DFI!
Ninja%20riding%20the%20Expert.JPG

Tis a good camera, the a610.
Macro%20love.JPG

Mmm...SLI
SLI.JPG

Big, big case...with fingerprints on the last pic!
Closed%20Angle.JPG

Closed%20Rear.JPG

Closed%20Side.JPG

Transporter ripped in under 4 minutes with dual P95's and some light browsing!!
Sick%20results.JPG

Full Res pics can be found in here.

The DVD drives own! Quiet, much quieter than my old TDK. I ripped a DVD almost 5x quicker than before! 4 minutes vs previous times of 20+

The nb fan on the dfi drives me insane. It goes loud, then quiet, then loud, then mother friggin' loud...ordered an Asus A8N SLI Premium. I hear the nb hs's a bit quieter :p

SLI makes NFS MW playble @ 1600x1200 w/ all details up...

BUT WAIT!

Team Canada flips everything around just when I get set...hosers...

*storms out of...yet...another thread*

Niiiiice. Have you overclock that 170? You'll need to ramp it up pretty high to get the full experience out of your video cards. Shouldn't be a problem though with that DFI board and Ninja cooler.

You NEVER NEVER hang ANYTHING off a sprinkler head. Every hotel that has sprinkler heads with some sort of loop has a sign next to it "DO NOT HANG COAT HANGERS HERE"

This isn't a complete win for you because you came out with the same what you have and you lost a lot in the process (deductables, non coverates, furniture). Your premuims also rises so you will end up paying 3 times that systems price over a long period. I have a feeling your brother felt bad and gave you a bigger of the cut and got shafted in the end.

Oh well, it's rare that you get so many new things at one time... must be nice :)

Imagine you can have a whole life upgrade like that, replace everything for brand new stuff :)

Ockie said:
Every hotel that has sprinkler heads with some sort of loop has a sign next to it "DO NOT HANG COAT HANGERS HERE"

...Your premuims also rises so you will end up paying 3 times that systems price over a long period. I have a feeling your brother felt bad and gave you a bigger of the cut and got shafted in the end.

Yeah...we didn't have those signs.

Actually my insurance had nothing to do with it. It all fell under his liability. They cut me a check for my damages and one for the apt complex. Fortunately, the only furniture ruined was the futon and I did claim that. Now his laptop will be covered on his personal liability, which has a 1k deductible. So he loses that plus his rates went up. Not sure how much, but the adjuster doesn't think it'll be too rough. FWIW...metlife.

Back