Pwn cube gets new water toys...

orkan

[H]ard|Gawd
Hardware components in sig, so I'll just elaborate on the new cooling. :)

Before:
Dual Bayres > D4 > Dtek WhiteWater > BIX > Maze4 > BIX > Dual Bayres

Now:
dual bayres > D5 > D5 > Storm > Maze 4 > EK NF4 > PA120.3

Ambient temps stay between 20 and 22c.
** Before Temps **
CPU Load - 45c
GPU Load - 44c
NF4 Load - 52c

**After Temps **
CPU Load - 38c
GPU Load - 38c
NF4 Load - 39c

Substantial improvement, and glad I upgraded. Before the upgrade, I couldn't get CPU-0 to stabilize under any conditions. Now I am able to get both cpu's 24/7 dual-prime stable and SuperPI @ 2700mhz (1.65vcore)

The EK NF4 chipset block was a great addition. Dropped my chipset temps by 13c. The PA120.3 radiator completely stomps my two BIX's I had. I added a block, and the temps are still down on the cpu and gpu. No small feat considering how both the cpu and gpu are running at 1.65 volts on their respective cores. :)

*** On with the pictures! ***

Prepping the board -
sli-dr.jpg

All the blocks, mounted neatly on the sli-dr and X850XT. I put one of my custom brackets on the Storm. Polished to look like my UFO case. -
blocks.jpg

Gotta love the sight of a NEKKED X2 -
naked_X24400.jpg

Motherboard tray modification. Figured some airflow behind the mobo couldn't be a bad thing -
mobo_tray.jpg

EK NF4 Block mounted. As you can see, this block wasn't really made for big bore systems. Mounting was a little tricky, but was functional. Had to use 7/16"ID tube on it to get a snug fit, and to allow for zip-tie hose clamps.
ek_block.jpg

The dual D5's, after being painted and mounted -
pumps.jpg

The PA120.3, after being painted and mounted -
pumps_rad.jpg

Almost done! Just need to order two more 120mm galaxy fans for the front and mobo tray exhaust. I like it!
complete3.jpg

In the dark -
night.jpg

Used Hydrx for the green in the water, in case some of you were curious. Also mounted a floppy drive behind the mobo tray... since there wasn't anywhere for one on this UFO. My next case from them will have one built in. :) All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out.

good job on the system, and i love the look of that naked dual core

Very nice very nice.

I love those cube cases so much. I'm contemplating getting one, but I have no place to put it seeing as they are so incredibly big! lol.

You should try and experiment with placement of tubes and such so you don't end up with 1 or 2 tubes that kind of offset from everything else. Like, for example, if you have 1 tube that comes directly from the outtake on the chipset block, right to the rad. It kind of takes away from the neatness of everything else cause it looks like a stray tube =).

Very cool none the less man. Is it loud? Or fairly silent?

TehRoflcopter said:
Very nice very nice.

I love those cube cases so much. I'm contemplating getting one, but I have no place to put it seeing as they are so incredibly big! lol.

You should try and experiment with placement of tubes and such so you don't end up with 1 or 2 tubes that kind of offset from everything else. Like, for example, if you have 1 tube that comes directly from the outtake on the chipset block, right to the rad. It kind of takes away from the neatness of everything else cause it looks like a stray tube =).

Very cool none the less man. Is it loud? Or fairly silent?

I laid the tubing out for optimal cooling. I know that one tube going for the sky looks funky... but due to the radiator placement/orientation, I didn't have much choice.

It is not overly loud. Just kind of a deep humming noise. I spaced all fans away from the chassis with rubber gromets. Helped a lot.

Wow, I almost (mildly) flamed you in another thread earlier today (ATI issues I think). I'm glad I didn't.

Fantastic job there!

Awesome looks and performance.

My new build I'm working on is based on the PA120.3 too. I ordered the 120.2 first but during testing fell in love with it so much I had to have the big brother.

Also props to you on the nudity. I've removed IHS before but I'm soon to be doing it to my most expensive proc ever.

BTW, what is the deal with the top of your X2? Is that ceramique or did you lap the thing ??

WarlordBB said:
BTW, what is the deal with the top of your X2? Is that ceramique or did you lap the thing ??

Nope, that is exactly how it looks... bare. No TIM in that picture.

wouldnt having the pumps one right after the other defeat the purpose?
ied put my most restrictive element in the loop between the pumps

.xXLucidXx. said:
i've been wanting to do some detailed research into this myself, but the general attitude ATM is that running one pump right after the other steps up head pressure at the outlet of the second pump to a sufficient level that it works as well as putting the pumps at any two seperate points in the loop would.

two laing DDC pumps in series = teh fearsom.

two D5s in orkan's loop or three in niksub's = ???

i don't honestly know if the impeller on the second or third pump would be contributing significantly or not, given the velocity of water already coming into the inlet.

Gee, I know those cases from somewhere................. :D I wonder where I've seen one before. ................. :eek: Nice setup, job well done.

TehRoflcopter said:
Oh? DFI, how about 2 DDC's with 1/2" barb mods?
now, i've said it before and i'll probably say it again: please shorten it it daishi, if you what to shorten my handle.

i like fire, and when people start calling me by the name of the motherboard manufacture that i hate the most, it makes me think of lots of fire.....sweeping across the world.......burning all of those who call me DFI, and consuming every DFI board on the planet in a final and cleansing confligration........i mean....uhh.....whoops...... :D

to the point, though, if two laing DDCs are fearsome, why would you think that two with 1/2" barb mods would be anything short of orgasmic? :cool:

My bad. First time i've actually heard you rant about that...

Note to self... Don't call DFI Daishi by DFI.

Hmmmmm. I just happen to have a spare DDC 1/2" lying around here =D. I think this calls for a little creative placement...

I think I might have room for it in a Super Lanboy... It would just take some creative thinking and possibly some patience... And maybe a little bit of aluminum box construction, but thats not too difficult.

Sometimes I really really wish I had a cube case...

TehRoflcopter said:
My bad. First time i've actually heard you rant about that...

Note to self... Don't call DFI Daishi by DFI.

Hmmmmm. I just happen to have a spare DDC 1/2" lying around here =D. I think this calls for a little creative placement...
i usually try to at least keep it funny, when someone does it. there are people who do it BECAUSE they know, but i'm not always sure if they do so because they find the responses amusing, or just to get jab in that is guranteed to score.

i wish you luck with you second pump: they're quiet enough that even running two is probably still quiet enough for most, and the added pressure never hurts.

.xXLucidXx. said:
No. It makes no difference where in the loop the pumps are.

Dual DDC with 1/2" barb
dualddc.jpg

unfortunly the dual ddc is not suitable for my german setup
the bubble will never get out of my loop

Save your money, I wouldn't buy that if I were you =). See the 90* bend on the intake pump? That will kill a lot of flow.

If the barb was on top of the plexiglass instead of being at the side, then the 90* bend would be gone, and the water would go straight down instead of hitting that god awful 90* bend.

No word of a lie, the original DDC plans with the 90* bend, kills an incredibly amount of flow. When I 1/2" modded it, the amount of flow that start zooming out of my tubes, was crazy.

TehRoflcopter said:
Save your money, I wouldn't buy that if I were you =). See the 90* bend on the intake pump? That will kill a lot of flow.

If the barb was on top of the plexiglass instead of being at the side, then the 90* bend would be gone, and the water would go straight down instead of hitting that god awful 90* bend.

No word of a lie, the original DDC plans with the 90* bend, kills an incredibly amount of flow. When I 1/2" modded it, the amount of flow that start zooming out of my tubes, was crazy.

i agree with you, you get aprox. x1.5 of DDC power
it isnt really a lot more power than cool-cases top, i dont have any flow meter to test, this is just my guess
LICS.jpg

Double Jesus said:
that one looks cool too, but wouldn't a 90 degree bend on the way out kill some flow too?

if i dont use 90degree, i will have to put the ddc very far away from my case
but iam using neither of them, iam using my old 1046 aquastream, hardly any water movement

DFI Daishi said:
the general attitude ATM is that running one pump right after the other steps up head pressure at the outlet of the second pump to a sufficient level that it works as well as putting the pumps at any two seperate points in the loop would.

two laing DDC pumps in series = teh fearsom.

two D5s in orkan's loop or three in niksub's = ???

i don't honestly know if the impeller on the second or third pump would be contributing significantly or not, given the velocity of water already coming into the inlet.

I can tell you from my own testing that the second pump contributes a LOT. Roughly 40-50% by my measurements. 2c drop in cpu temps.

I absolutely LOVE that top to the DDC's... I need to figure out where to buy one, considering I couldn't figure out how to make one. That has to be one of the best tops ever made for a DDC. Not only is it a resevoir, but its also not going to kill any flow =D.

nikhsub1 said:
No, one RD-30 rules :cool:

One Panworld 30PI-Z-D rules.

(incase any of you are curious, it's almost exactly the same as the Iwaki RD-30 Nik has) :p

EnJoY120 said:
One Panworld 30PI-Z-D rules.

(incase any of you are curious, it's almost exactly the same as the Iwaki RD-30 Nik has) :p
Except it is a panworld which has sub-par MTBF and reliability. In short, it is no Iwaki. :cool:

Yea whatever, I've never had a single problem with any of my panworld pumps (HD series). And I loved them just as much as I did my Iwaki's, in fact, they ran a bit cooler. This pump is actually slightly superior in terms of performance per watts compared to your RD-30, and it's been running great for months now. Got it for a steal too thanks to DaCooltech. ;)

Yes I know about the relative unreliability of the 50z series of pumps (made by Panworld), but I personally believe this was a single model incident, as you just don't hear about the rest of their line acting up.

Enjoy, I'd appreciate if you take your pump-pimping drum to another thread.

Hijackers are shot on sight here.

Sorry about that orkan. Really, really nice setup you've got there btw. Good choices on every part.

Back