11th place!

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

This is the highest we have ever been so far.

Im trying to gather new recruits on LHC in Genmay! 10th place is right there.

Guys. Check your finishing times. If YOYO is over a day then drop it and switch to Cosmology or LHC.

LHC keeps having supply issues while YoYo keeps having server issues. Cosmology runs good but at this point unless everyone put everything on it, we will have to be happy with top 10 in the Marathon. I only forsee us taking 1-2 more spots at most there with only a little over 3 days of crunch time to go.

A lot of people chattering about high error rates with LHC's ATLAS work units (one of the virtualbox apps). I know some were running that on other teams because it did not require a wingman.

At current production at YoYo (almost over) there is a chance of losing a spot to the Italian team. I would say leave things on there until it completes and then move over to LHC with Cosmology as the backup project utilizing resource share or just letting BOINC manage the two.

Rough guesstamate looks like we will hold 15th in yoyo, get 14th in LHC, and 8th in cosmology.

That depends on how much power the other teams will move around.

For LHC, here are my numbers.

Name | #completed tasks | Avg PPD per core
SixTrack 27 | 34.5
Atlas 11 | 45.2 (normalized to per core, not based on multicore)

Atlas is picky about RAM size and also if there are other project tasks running at the same time. I had an error initially, running Sixtrack and Yoyo simultaneously, so I do clean reboot and restart BOINC with just Atlas running. So far so good.

Based on my tracking, Atlas yield 31% more point with quorum =1. YMMV.

Last edited:
Just got home and apparently Boinc manager logged out and had an invalid password error today.. no idea how much productivity I didn't get done

As long as the BOINC client itself was still running, it may have continued to crunch.

Atlas seems to be behaving well for me so far. I've only had 2 errors that weren't user induced by me monkeying around with the config files.

It's been a busy couple of days of pc upgrades with some Sandy Bridges finally entering retirement. I think I take these challenges just a bit too seriously!

So.... I swear to whatever version of celestial being that you believe in that, if you share this, I will hunt you down and make Ramsay Snow/Bolton look like a kitten. :vamp: Seriously, this is unreleased stuff; that's why I disabled sharing my computer stats on the project. Only reason I'm sharing here is due to this being a private sub-forum. Anyway, yeah, no blabbing about this AT ALL. :) With all that clearly understood. Just turned on a 2P Skylake 6126. Looks like it's tearing through Cosmo WU's like mad. The 6126 is currently at 30% in 22m:17s. No idea if the WU's are apples to apples, but an E5-2680 v4 is at 30% after 1h10m.

Wait, I can't tell everyone you are secretly an Intel R&D scientist that needs real world testing of his chips?..... crap!

Well, you could, but it wouldn't be accurate. :) (Seriously, I don't work for Intel; but they are a customer. Heh)

I know you wont say.. But how in the hell did you get those..?

Didn't even think their were boards with updated BIOS to support those.

This is a pre-production development server. Helps to be part of a big company that does a lot of business with Intel both as a provider and a customer; of course our contract manufacture helps with stuff like this too. BTW, SL boards are entirely different from HW/BW. New way of installing processors gives me the willies... and I've been installing CPUs from 286 on up.

Seriously, guys. I'm a techie at heart and love to share little tidbits. But if any of you do anything uncool, I could lose my job; and seeing how I'm the sole source of income, that would be bad. Copy?

How often does your company recycle it's servers?

I was wondering why that one PC in the screenshot had it's specs blacked out hehe. Badass man, that's damn cool and impressive... and a bit depressing since I just upgraded to Broadwell-E haha

Skilz: Pre-prods never get "recycled"; they usually go back to the manufacture. :p And the company rarely gets rid of "real" stuff either. Heck, we're still supporting Dell PowerEdge 2600s for some of our old inspection tools!

rgMekanic: That's better than the Ivy-E I have in my personal box. Remember, 99% of those are at work. :)

Sounds kinda like Eagle07/Patriot.. he works for HP Enterprise and was a pretty large suppliers of ES chips which is why you see people mention chips that are H property. He would scour their recycle bins and his boss didn't care as long as nothing got sold and basically you didn't over advertise where they were coming from.... He rarely ships anymore but still gets ahold of a lot of nice castoffs...

Dang, was hoping to have a cheap supply of hardware for crunching. lol

Back