Asrock X670e Taichi or something else?

brennok

[H]ard|Gawd
Originally I was planning on doing an Intel build for gaming, some Plex, and possibly some Stable Diffusion, but decided to opt for my first AMD build and first build in over 8 years. Case will probably be the Fractal Torrent with solid side panel so I don't care about aesthetics.

Leaning towards the Asrock X670E Taichi at $399, but I don't know if there is anything else I should consider. It is probably overkill for my needs, but using the PCPartpicker and Newegg filters it keeps showing up. Originally I read lots of good things about the Taichi, before even diving into the different chipsets and this one seems to be no exception other than price back before the pricedrop.

Wants:
6 SATA active since I will probably end up maxing the drive bays in the Torrent, 4x2.5 SSDs and 2x3.5 HDs, over time.
4+ M.2 - Already have 2x4TB WD 850X from current $229 sale waiting to be used
Debug LED - crazy that this is still something you have to look for and missing from site filters. GN Rant

Concerns:
E-ATX - I have read some reports the board fits fine in the Torrent and others that had one standoff by the m.2 heatsink that didn't line up.
M.2 heat issues behind GPU. - I have read a handful of complaints of the M.2s getting hot in the two slots behind the GPU.

Planned Build:
7800X3D
Fractal Torrent solid side panel
2x4TB WD 850X M.2
GPU - undecided kind of waiting for Supers to see what happens
PSU - 1000w-1300w undecided going back and forth on HWBusters and Cultists and looking at possibly Leadex VII Gold 1000w while on sale for $174 or even 1300w for $189 though still loooking at options. Still pricing and reading reviews while also checking cable lengths
Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 Black
2x32GB - looking at something like the G.SKILL Flare X Series 64GB (2 x 32GB)DDR5 6000 Model F5-6000J3040G32GX2-FX5 though Newegg is now backordered. $189
Monitor - undecided

Sure, that's a fine board and it meets your wants. I wouldn't worry too much about the GPU heat since they'll be under heatsinks and are only Gen4 drives. I have 3 SN850Xs and the highest temp I've observed is 48C (specs in sig) but only one is positioned somewhat under my 4090.

I'm not sure why you need 1000W+ but Cultists list is great for deciding on a PSU. With my 5950X with high PBO limits and 4090 (granted it's not a mega overkill one that allows for tons of additional power draw) I've maxed out at 720W reported from my UPS (which also has two 27GL83A-B monitors and a Netgear GS110EMX switch). I think 850W should cover you plenty with a 7800X3D and a 4080 Super or even a 450W RTX 4090. GPU is going to be your highest drawing component by a large margin, but a 7800X3D and the rest of the components will be pretty low.

Just use PCPartPicker and filter for any 6000MHz C30 2 x 32GB kits (this should directly take you there) if you want to find another kit ASAP. This seems to be the sweet spot for the 7800X3D from what I've seen.

Other general comments- I'm a POST code fan myself so I hear you on that. I think since you already found someone with that board/case combo and it fits fine (or just one stand off doesn't line up, which I doubt but even if it doesn't...) then you're safe. You might want to consider the Scythe Fuma 3, which is slightly more expensive but will not block any RAM slots allowing you to use tall profile memory.

Originally I was planning on doing an Intel build for gaming, some Plex, and possibly some Stable Diffusion, but decided to opt for my first AMD build and first build in over 8 years. Case will probably be the Fractal Torrent with solid side panel so I don't care about aesthetics.

Leaning towards the Asrock X670E Taichi at $399, but I don't know if there is anything else I should consider. It is probably overkill for my needs, but using the PCPartpicker and Newegg filters it keeps showing up. Originally I read lots of good things about the Taichi, before even diving into the different chipsets and this one seems to be no exception other than price back before the pricedrop.

Wants:
6 SATA active since I will probably end up maxing the drive bays in the Torrent, 4x2.5 SSDs and 2x3.5 HDs, over time.
Debug LED - crazy that this is still something you have to look for and missing from site filters. GN Rant

Concerns:
E-ATX - I have read some reports the board fits fine in the Torrent and others that had one standoff by the m.2 heatsink that didn't line up.
M.2 heat issues behind GPU. - I have read a handful of complaints of the M.2s getting hot in the two slots behind the GPU.

Planned Build:
7800X3D
2x4TB WD 850X M.2
PSU - 1000w-1300w undecided going back and forth on HWBusters and Cultists and looking at possibly Leadex VII Gold 1000w while on sale for $174 or even 1300w for $189 though still loooking at options. Still pricing and reading reviews while also checking cable lengths
2x32GB - looking at something like the G.SKILL Flare X Series 64GB (2 x 32GB)DDR5 6000 Model F5-6000J3040G32GX2-FX5 though Newegg is now backordered. $189
Monitor - undecided
I recommend Asrock for AM5. Have a look at the Taichi Lite.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B650E Taichi Lite/index.asp

Wants:

Concerns:

Planned Build:
7800X3D
2x4TB WD 850X M.2
Monitor - undecided
For any EATX holes which don't have standoffs, you can either put a spacer underneath them, so that the board doesn't flext downward when you press on it, or you can drill a hole and install your own standoffs.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=plastic+...otherboard,aps,155&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_19

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
670e chipset boards are a pain to choose as the chipset forces may compromises compared to z690/z790.., the 1st one is the PCIe x 4 downlink from the chipset. They will surely change it to Gen 5 there next AM5 Chipset.

The MSI carbon WiFi also meets your requirements.
It also has an additional PCIe 4.0 x 4 slot that is useful to you. (Capture cards / storage adapters for more NVMe expansion etc. etc.) The trade off is no USB 4.0

There is a list on google that some one shared.
View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NQHkDEcgDPm34Mns3C93K6SJoBnua-x9O-y_6hv8sPs/edit

Sure, that's a fine board and it meets your wants. I wouldn't worry too much about the GPU heat since they'll be under heatsinks and are only Gen4 drives. I have 3 SN850Xs and the highest temp I've observed is 48C (specs in sig) but only one is positioned somewhat under my 4090.

I'm not sure why you need 1000W+ but Cultists list is great for deciding on a PSU. With my 5950X with high PBO limits and 4090 (granted it's not a mega overkill one that allows for tons of additional power draw) I've maxed out at 720W reported from my UPS (which also has two 27GL83A-B monitors and a Netgear GS110EMX switch). I think 850W should cover you plenty with a 7800X3D and a 4080 Super or even a 450W RTX 4090. GPU is going to be your highest drawing component by a large margin, but a 7800X3D and the rest of the components will be pretty low.

Just use PCPartPicker and filter for any 6000MHz C30 2 x 32GB kits (this should directly take you there) if you want to find another kit ASAP. This seems to be the sweet spot for the 7800X3D from what I've seen.

Other general comments- I'm a POST code fan myself so I hear you on that. I think since you already found someone with that board/case combo and it fits fine (or just one stand off doesn't line up, which I doubt but even if it doesn't...) then you're safe. You might want to consider the Scythe Fuma 3, which is slightly more expensive but will not block any RAM slots allowing you to use tall profile memory.
I always end up going overkill with PSU. PC Partpicker was estimating 804w with a 4090 or 554w with a 4070 and I usually aim for about double since I never know what I might end up doing later. I know efficiency used to be more geared to 50%, but things may have changed these days.

Most of the taller memory looked like it was RGB focused and with a solid case I won't need that. I know both Corsair and G Skill have some non-RGB which are slightly taller so I will definitely give the Fuma 3 a check.

I recommend Asrock for AM5. Have a look at the Taichi Lite.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B650E Taichi Lite/index.asp

For any EATX holes which don't have standoffs, you can either put a spacer underneath them, so that the board doesn't flext downward when you press on it, or you can drill a hole and install your own standoffs.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=plastic+motherboard+standoffs&crid=3R1X4JSSLB2ER&sprefix=plastic+motherboard,aps,155&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_19
Thanks, like Dopamin3 said, I ended up ruling out the Taichi lite just for drive connections. I tend to keep my builds for a long time and always end up with old drives sitting around so I would rather have the ability to add them in case.

MSI carbon WiFi
Thanks. I think I looked briefly at it, but I discarded it initially for the minor price difference. I think I also mixed up the details with another board since I swore one of the M.2 took place over one of the SATA ports, but looking again it doesn't look like it. I missed the PCIx4 and I don't care about the USB 4.0 so yeah it may be the better board for me. Of course I missed all the earlier $399 sales.

Looks like I need to consider the MSI Carbon Wifi. Thanks everyone.

Asrock has another x670 with 6 sata and 4 M.2. But one of the M.2 is 3.0 and you don't get heatsinks for all 4.

One more thing, If SATA is important, most x670e boards with more than 4 SATA implement the additional SATA port using ASmedia ASM 1064 on PCIe 3.0 x 1 lane. Expect only up to 450 MBps transfer instead of 600 MBps transfer in those ports.

Last edited:
One more thing, If SATA is important, most x670e boards with more than 4 SATA implement the additional SATA port using ASmedia ASM 1064 on PCIe 3.0 x 1 lane. Expect only up to 450 MBps transfer instead of 600 MBps transfer in those ports.

Thanks good to know. Usually I don't worry too much about maxing my hard drive speed on the old 3.5s since it is more I hate to have drives sitting around so I will make sure to put the 3.5 on those and any new SSDs on the other. With the news NAND chip prices are going up 50% I may not be buying new drives anytime soon.

I keep going back and forth on the MSI board. Some of the MSI forum reports concern me like the PCIe x 4 not working on some of the different bios updates and others reporting secondary WD and Samsung M.2s going missing on reboot.

Thanks good to know. Usually I don't worry too much about maxing my hard drive speed on the old 3.5s since it is more I hate to have drives sitting around so I will make sure to put the 3.5 on those and any new SSDs on the other. With the news NAND chip prices are going up 50% I may not be buying new drives anytime soon.

I keep going back and forth on the MSI board. Some of the MSI forum reports concern me like the PCIe x 4 not working on some of the different bios updates and others reporting secondary WD and Samsung M.2s going missing on reboot.
IMO, Asrock is the way to go, for AM5.

Of course it is now backordered. Amazon had it briefly last night, but this morning it is now a third party seller at $595. Newegg is also now showing backordered, but at least I can order. I am fine waiting since I am waiting for the GPUs anyway, but I am just worried the $399 price might change come 1/1. I of course would have preferred it was just through Amazon so should have pulled the trigger last night.

I also still haven't narrowed down the PSU.

Of course it is now backordered. Amazon had it briefly last night, but this morning it is now a third party seller at $595. Newegg is also now showing backordered, but at least I can order. I am fine waiting since I am waiting for the GPUs anyway, but I am just worried the $399 price might change come 1/1. I of course would have preferred it was just through Amazon so should have pulled the trigger last night.

I also still haven't narrowed down the PSU.
I’ve got one at my local MicroCenter can nab it for ya - get 5% off with my MicroCenter card so that should help the price (since you’d pay for shipping). It’s $399.99 retail ($379.99 after my MC card) - probably about $35 to ship UPS Ground.

EDIT: they even have an open box one for $340 - https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=&cat=&Ntt=x670e+taichi&searchButton=search - it's the St. Louis Park, MN location.

EDIT2: reserved the new one - no pressure - gotta go get a boxed 7800X3D today, anyway.

Last edited:
I’ve got one at my local MicroCenter can nab it for ya - get 5% off with my MicroCenter card so that should help the price (since you’d pay for shipping). It’s $399.99 retail ($379.99 after my MC card) - probably about $35 to ship UPS Ground.

EDIT: they even have an open box one for $340 - https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=&cat=&Ntt=x670e+taichi&searchButton=search - it's the St. Louis Park, MN location.

EDIT2: reserved the new one - no pressure - gotta go get a boxed 7800X3D today, anyway.

Thanks for the offer I appreciate it. I will probably just order the Newegg one while it is on backorder in case the price jumps. If it doesn't I can always cancel, and I figure worst case easier to deal with Newegg if something is wrong with it. They are finally building a Microcenter in Florida, but of course they picked Miami for some odd reason.

Thanks for the offer I appreciate it. I will probably just order the Newegg one while it is on backorder in case the price jumps. If it doesn't I can always cancel, and I figure worst case easier to deal with Newegg if something is wrong with it. They are finally building a Microcenter in Florida, but of course they picked Miami for some odd reason.
Good point! I got mine "open box" from MicroCenter for $325 - it was sealed. lol. This was back in January of this year. Pretty awesome. GOod luck!!

Well this build isn't working as far as I can tell and no idea what is wrong with it. I can't get video out via the iGPU. I don't know if it doesn't like my HDMI cable, but I pulled it from my TV so I know it worked. The only thing I can think of is possibly the cable isn't 2.1. I even tried connecting an old GTX 460 I had in the closet, but same thing.

At least I am assuming the mobo is posting. Eventually I see it floating around 26, 29, and 30, but they aren't on the debug code list. I did read the debug will show idle temps after it boots so I am hoping that is what is being shown.

Well this build isn't working as far as I can tell and no idea what is wrong with it. I can't get video out via the iGPU. I don't know if it doesn't like my HDMI cable, but I pulled it from my TV so I know it worked. The only thing I can think of is possibly the cable isn't 2.1. I even tried connecting an old GTX 460 I had in the closet, but same thing.

At least I am assuming the mobo is posting. Eventually I see it floating around 26, 29, and 30, but they aren't on the debug code list. I did read the debug will show idle temps after it boots so I am hoping that is what is being shown.
Try doing a BIOS flashback to the latest one available. You'll need to follow Asrock's documentation but it usually boils down to: formatting a fat32 flash drive, naming the BIOS file a certain name, putting it in a certain USB port and then pressing the BIOS flash button on the rear I/O.

Yeah I reflashed it again and cleared CMOS and finally got it working around 3:15 AM. I am guessing the first flash didn't take though previously at one point I did get to Ab or A6 which meant at bios. I just couldn't see it. Maybe it didn't like the cable I had at the time. Thanks.

Up and running, now need to run it through its paces.

Don't get teh TaiChi if you want 5.1 audio in games. The optical output only works for 5.1 in movies. I'm thinking about replacing mine with something else.
Alternativly, you can hack your front panel audio port to get 5.1 to your speakers, but then you have a cable sticking out of the front of your PC for the rear speakers.

Don't get teh TaiChi if you want 5.1 audio in games. The optical output only works for 5.1 in movies. I'm thinking about replacing mine with something else.
Alternativly, you can hack your front panel audio port to get 5.1 to your speakers, but then you have a cable sticking out of the front of your PC for the rear speakers.
Pretty sure this isn't necessarily the fault of the Taichi. Optical only supports limited codecs. You should use the headphone jack on the front panel or the rear panel - or HDMI off your graphics cards to a receiver (then connect headphones to receiver if that's what you're going for).

I found this https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...uld_i_connect_a_51_surround_sound_to_optical/ so it sounds like you can. I am not worried about 5.1 though to test it.

Is it not working for you?

Screenshot 2024-01-28 221854.png

I found this https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterra...uld_i_connect_a_51_surround_sound_to_optical/ so it sounds like you can. I am not worried about 5.1 though to test it.

Is it not working for you?

View attachment 631090
It's not about it working or not - it's that games don't support it. Movies do - since they have the Dolby codecs and such that use digital / TOSLink. I am 95% sure it's a universal problem.

old thread but relevant: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/macuc/is_it_possible_to_get_true_51_surround_sound_from/

Last edited:
It's not about it working or not - it's that games don't support it. Movies do - since they have the Dolby codecs and such that use digital / TOSLink. I am 95% sure it's a universal problem.

old thread but relevant: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/macuc/is_it_possible_to_get_true_51_surround_sound_from/

Yeah if games don't support it is one thing, but Justintoxicated was acting like it was the fault of the Taichi board even though it can do 5.1. I guess it isn't true 5.1 though. I have never been an audiophile so never bothered with more than 2.1 due to always being on a setup where rear speakers aren't an option including my TV.

Pretty sure this isn't necessarily the fault of the Taichi. Optical only supports limited codecs. You should use the headphone jack on the front panel or the rear panel - or HDMI off your graphics cards to a receiver (then connect headphones to receiver if that's what you're going for).
Well if they put 3, 3.5mm audio jacks in the rear panel like they do on their cheaper boards, similar to what had been done for the last 15 years by almost all motherboards then it wouldn't be an issue. The 5.1 works but I had to buy an extra 3.5mm cable to run the rear speaker channel out the front of my computer. It is just gross and unacceptable to force cords to come out both the front and back of a computer to go to one device to deliver the 5.1... it's more of a hack to the microphone jack to get this to work imo. Especially Sad for a more premium motherboard... If they are going to do something dumb like this and still claim 5.1, they really should include a rear panel adapter for the 3rd port because they don't seem to exist. Or better, just include the 3rd plug to begin with. I'd pay an extra $5 to have a more functional 5.1 motherboard.

Computer speakers don't tend to take HDMI, as that leads to a bunch of other issues like differing HDMI versions etc. You can do this kinda thing for Htpc etc, but this isn't typical for most monitors or PC speakers.

If you buy this MB you will need to run a 3.5mm headphone cord from the front of your PC to the speakers to achieve 5.1 audio for games. I could probably solder something up, but I shouldn't have to.

I'll probably just lose the extra pci-e slot to a cheap sound card instead.

So ya I wouldn't buy this motherboard again. I'm already going to lose the second slot just to get 5.1 sound that the motherboard should properly provide.

Well if they put 3, 3.5mm audio jacks in the rear panel like they do on their cheaper boards, similar to what had been done for the last 15 years by almost all motherboards then it wouldn't be an issue. The 5.1 works but I had to buy an extra 3.5mm cable to run the rear speaker channel out the front of my computer. It is just gross and unacceptable to force cords to come out both the front and back of a computer to go to one device to deliver the 5.1... it's more of a hack to the microphone jack to get this to work imo. Especially Sad for a more premium motherboard... If they are going to do something dumb like this and still claim 5.1, they really should include a rear panel adapter for the 3rd port because they don't seem to exist. Or better, just include the 3rd plug to begin with. I'd pay an extra $5 to have a more functional 5.1 motherboard.

Computer speakers don't tend to take HDMI, as that leads to a bunch of other issues like differing HDMI versions etc. You can do this kinda thing for Htpc etc, but this isn't typical for most monitors or PC speakers.

If you buy this MB you will need to run a 3.5mm headphone cord from the front of your PC to the speakers to achieve 5.1 audio for games. I could probably solder something up, but I shouldn't have to.

I'll probably just lose the extra pci-e slot to a cheap sound card instead.

So ya I wouldn't buy this motherboard again. I'm already going to lose the second slot just to get 5.1 sound that the motherboard should properly provide.

This would have worked for you, but it doesn't look like it ever made it to the US or is even available anymore.
https://hardforum.com/threads/pci-bracket-w-hd-audio-connector-and-headphone-mic-jacks.1817646/

It looks like Asrock has gone with this setup for a while since I found even threads years old looking for options.

Another option is to pick up a 3.5 hd audio hub and see if you can mount it on one of the PCI 3.5 hard drive mounts like this. I have also seen 3d printed versions also you could potentially tweak or have tweaked to give you access.

This would have worked for you, but it doesn't look like it ever made it to the US or is even available anymore.
https://hardforum.com/threads/pci-bracket-w-hd-audio-connector-and-headphone-mic-jacks.1817646/

It looks like Asrock has gone with this setup for a while since I found even threads years old looking for options.

Another option is to pick up a 3.5 hd audio hub and see if you can mount it on one of the PCI 3.5 hard drive mounts like this. I have also seen 3d printed versions also you could potentially tweak or have tweaked to give you access.
Interesting solution with the HD Bracket. I guess the advantage of this over just getting a soundcard is that it won't eat up my extra PCI-E slot?
I think the easiest solution may be to ditch the onboard sound card for an old school sound card.
Thinking about this one: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-SE-Channel-Compatibility/dp/B07HCX1NY9
or maybe this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CQ4KRR1

I'd just assume replace the MB, but it looks like most of the higher end AM5 motherboards all share the removal of the 3rd audio port and replacing it with mostly useless Optical port.

So I guess this MB is still ok to buy, so long as you don't mind not having the extra PCI-E slot as it will need to be filled with a cound card for 5.1.

Interesting solution with the HD Bracket. I guess the advantage of this over just getting a soundcard is that it won't eat up my extra PCI-E slot?
I think the easiest solution may be to ditch the onboard sound card for an old school sound card.
Thinking about this one: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-SE-Channel-Compatibility/dp/B07HCX1NY9
or maybe this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CQ4KRR1

I'd just assume replace the MB, but it looks like most of the higher end AM5 motherboards all share the removal of the 3rd audio port and replacing it with mostly useless Optical port.

So I guess this MB is still ok to buy, so long as you don't mind not having the extra PCI-E slot as it will need to be filled with a cound card for 5.1.

Yeah it wouldn't use your PCI-E slot, which the X670E Taichi doesn't have either so guessing you have a different Taichi board. Depending on what you spend on a sound card either solution may work for you at about the same price.

Yeah it wouldn't use your PCI-E slot, which the X670E Taichi doesn't have either so guessing you have a different Taichi board. Depending on what you spend on a sound card either solution may work for you at about the same price.
I have the B650E taichi lite

Never had a problem with the AAF drivers either. They were really solid when I needed DTS Connect or DDL Live or even the SoundBlaster stuff. Agreed that some of those download sites are cancer++

Back