ASUS ROUTER ISSUES

p05ta1

Limp Gawd
My older wifi asus rtax86s sees all my cables as sub cat5e.
I went from cat 6 to cat 6a through main house and still shows that.
spectrum upgraded me to 300 megs only way to get that to pc is cat 7 direct connect to router.
So any thing i connect is stuck at 97megs.

Thinking of trying out a

ASUS RT-AX55 to swap out for old.​

But if I run wifi to wifi 6 my speeds are 200megs.
anyone else have issues with latest firmware?

If you got the cat 5e, 6, 6a and 7 from the same place, sounds like they're all fake cables. I would just get a switch and plug everything into that and then the switch to the router. Let the switch handle the switching and the router route.

And test your cable runs point to point using iperf to validate the drops. Because this could even be a routing issue even though it shouldn't be.

Agree with Samir, it's bad cables, 5e is more than capable of 300 meg and more, or misconfig/router issue. Even wifi5 can give more than 200 and cover 300 and some again.

Cable Matters​

Is the brand i got from there store on amazon. The cables are all labeled as cat6a and was replaced cat 6. But get this if i try to 5 different patch cables. 5e to 6a and all show them as sub 5e cables.
those are 3 foots ones.
Only ones that working on it are crazy cat7 thick one 5 foot ones from pc and modem.
seems like asus flubbed a firmware or something.

ps the cat 6 is over 15 years that i have had since i networked to living room.

looked into more issue i found the usb3 port on back is also blown out.
looks like my old router is coming to a slow death.
2 years of good use maybe time to replace with a U model.

Last edited:
AX86u Pro is on way to homestead as I type.
After i get this to replace my dieting ax86s i will get the ax55 for my upstairs access point for all my smart stuff. That will give me wifi 6 coverage and still have my speed.

I'm kind of impressed that you managed to do something to kill an Asus router, even my 10+ year old ones worked great. I retired them due to technology progressing.

Are you using Merlin?

Just the base firmware on it.
The last one might have got a energy spike, I lost my discos 3 modem last fall and Spectrum gave me a new one. But since then i now have them both on a battery back up unit. The issue showed itself just this month when i got a speed bump. I assume it might have been there but i just did know it till now.
what was a shock to was my 4 tb drive was not working so i tried the usb2 port and it was working.

New router set up and the pro model offers connection over entire house. Pc got a 20 meg speed boost over old one.
USB ports working again.
But the new cable i ran was bad too.
contacting amazon for return. Might try mediabridge cat 7 this time.

I use Truecable personally. Bought a spool of cat6 3years ago and a bag of connectors (passthru) and crimper and havent had to buy any network cables since. Highly recommend that if you are someone that cables a lot of connections. Then it is also really easy to fix worn out connectors, cut recrimp and plug back in.

New router set up and the pro model offers connection over entire house. Pc got a 20 meg speed boost over old one.
USB ports working again.
But the new cable i ran was bad too.
contacting amazon for return. Might try mediabridge cat 7 this time.

20 meg over the 97 meg you had with the old router? So you're still not getting you 300 meg d/l speeds? Something still isn't right then.

OK Pc direct connect via cat7 was at 350meg now hits 370 plus speed.
wifi connetions:
And the laptop upstairs is 340meg to the new router when the old was under 50megs, and dropped connetions all the time.
Kids room opposite side of house gets 180megs.
New one is way better then old one with bad ports.

Cablematters was always good in the past but something was just not right with the ones i got .
So i returned to amazon full credit and going with cat7 direct to my acess point on upper level.
That runs my smart devices open wifi but also my media stream via switch, xbox, 4k blueray.

Network all fixed now.
New router fixed line issues, cablematters 6A was good.
splitter on main level was bad too.

Now have 300 plus in all rooms.

Issues I had: laptop was not able to see over 100 meg speed. old router had bad ports, switch lost gigbyte speed (dlink).

Asus ax86Upro, Cat6a , tplink tl-sg108e with a AC86 router on main.

I would not want to do this for a living ....ruff to trouble shot.

Back