Coolermaster RS-750-ACAA-A1 / Coolermaster 750 Watt Psu - Help Intermittent Power On

lankyman

n00b
Hi, recently my PSU has become strange where my pc does not power on anymore, sometimes it does.
I particularly noticed this when we have been having many brown outs over months and months.
I do have a good surge protection plug which i spent alot of money on, i use the same for tv etc.
After giving up because my PSU just does not come on and the red LED light is not coming on at ther back either, i decided to take out the PSU and do a test on it.
I bridged the Green pin and the neighboring Black pin with a paper clip.
Plugged in the mains and turned on the plug switch.
Then i turned on the psu switch and the fan started to turn.
I tried to turn it off and on again, the fan does not turn.
I tried to unplug everything and retry a few times waiting a few minutes between each test, it seems the fan spins when it wants too and the red LED light goes on when it wants to.
I opened the PSU up and found that one of the BIG capacitors is swollen and the top is leaking fluid.
Can this cause the PSU to behave this way?
I am wanting to know before i hold my breath and find a capacitor to replace.

Leaking capacitor can definitely be a cause, including causing circuit shorts/bridges depending on where the fluid is going, and so can other defects that may not be so obvious without a multimeter in hand.

If electronic repair is something you're comfortable with, go ahead and replace the cap and see if that fixes it. Personally, I would seek out a new unit entirely, especially if you're still under warranty.

Also, it sounds like brownouts may be a common problem in your area. A surge protector won't help with that, but a line interactive UPS would be a quality investment in your gear by keeping the power going into the PSU at the right voltage.

The only trustworthy review I could find for that PSU was from 2007. Do yourself a big favor and get a new unit.
I was thinking the same, but my goodness they are not cheap units. I am also just torn apart by name brands and real practicality. Sometimes an Aiwa cd player is just as good as a Pioneer one.
Get another Coolermaster or try Thermaltake or or or, and do i just stick to Gold rates at least?
I have a really basic machine used for my daughter and her schooling.
i7 2700k and a RX480 8GB saphire radeon

Leaking capacitor can definitely be a cause, including causing circuit shorts/bridges depending on where the fluid is going, and so can other defects that may not be so obvious without a multimeter in hand.
If electronic repair is something you're comfortable with, go ahead and replace the cap and see if that fixes it. Personally, I would seek out a new unit entirely, especially if you're still under warranty.

Also, it sounds like brownouts may be a common problem in your area. A surge protector won't help with that, but a line interactive UPS would be a quality investment in your gear by keeping the power going into the PSU at the right voltage.
yeh i noticed that the bulge is at the top of the capacitor and it only looks like its leaked there, u can see discoloured old liquid mess

For that rig you'll only need a 500w unit at the most. So your ahead of the game by quite a bit already. A gold certified unit is fine.
Where will you be shopping for a new PSU? We can help find something solid and have your daughter back up and running in no time 😉

Back