Copilot or else! (for OEMs...eventually)

Aaaand as predicted, all that fancy ai hardware will be used to process 24hour/day usage for your profile, on device so they can pretend they're fans of "privacy". The only thing that surprises me here is that microsoft beat google to the punch:

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...ut-microsofts-upcoming-defining-ai-pc-feature

Company with a demonstrated willingness to put profit margins before user experience integrates the most powerful optimization technology known to man into the os on your device. Whatever could go wrong?
That is horrifying to a degree I've never even heard of before. I wonder if you can bypass this next level telemetry with a third party firewall? Or disable it entirely? Who in the actual flying donkey balls thought anyone would think this is a good idea?

It can be disabled, allegedly. Sounds like MS left themselves plenty of wiggle room on however "much" data they collect when the process is running.
Windows Central said:
I'm told that much of this experience is rendered on-device and does not reach out to the cloud to process information. This is important for privacy reasons, but also for performance reasons. To reduce latency, AI Explorer will rely on NPU silicon to process content that has been recorded. I also understand that users will be able to filter out specific apps from being recorded by the AI Explorer process, or disable AI Explorer entirely.

Aaaand as predicted, all that fancy ai hardware will be used to process 24hour/day usage for your profile, on device so they can pretend they're fans of "privacy". The only thing that surprises me here is that microsoft beat google to the punch:

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...ut-microsofts-upcoming-defining-ai-pc-feature

Company with a demonstrated willingness to put profit margins before user experience integrates the most powerful optimization technology known to man into the os on your device. Whatever could go wrong?
Good thing there are still third-party file explorer programs for Windows. The only bad thing is that Windows Explorer is embedded into the desktop system so you can never turn it completely off, which means Microsoft is still going to be snooping on the files you're accessing.
It can be disabled, allegedly. Sounds like MS left themselves plenty of wiggle room on however "much" data they collect when the process is running.
It's going to be like the data reporting setting where you can just set it to share "minimal" information instead of turning sharing completely off.

It's going to be like the data reporting setting where you can just set it to share "minimal" information instead of turning sharing completely off.
Not to mention that we're talking about the company that is dark patterning users into upgrading entire operating systems. There will be a strategically placed (as in: where normally a cancel button would be) "no thank you, I would prefer to keep using your creepy ai feature" option when you try to disable it.

Last edited:
This will be what makes me move to Linux, hate to do it, but I draw the line there. At least for now can still disable on taskbar and registry.

M$ do new crap things that I don't like.
Fine, turn off or uninstall it, problem solved.

But they add a new key on the keyboard - oh no, another key that I can just unplug physically if I cannot remap.

Fully updated Win 11 here, cleaned from what I don't need or like, of course, both at work and at home.

Article says it won't be remappable, although how you'd know that for sure unless MS came right out and said so, I don't know.

Edit: I swear I read that but now I can't find it. But laptop keyboards aren't usually remappable the way a QMK-powered one would be. Also, I'm thinking that most likely, this will just be a hotkey, like under the hood, it'll generate something like win+shift+alt+C, because there isn't really a "completely custom key" functionality in USB HID as far as I know from the small amount of searching I've previously done.
There's always pulling the key off and applying a bit of glue.

Accurate. "Off" was removed from their UX design vocabulary long ago because it has a quantitative value. There's no ambiguity.

The shift in language to "Minimal", "Minimum", "Basic", etc was devised and focus-grouped to create the illusion of user choice, while having no quantitative value MS can be held to. From their standpoint, "the user can decide whatever they want it to mean", while MS decides what it actually means inside the encrypted telemetry tunnel they don't document or disclose. Years ago after a backlash, they tried to create the illusion of transparency by publishing a partial set of datapoints for the "Basic" setting - which was hilarious to read through because it was still thousands of datapoints being collected.

The shift from Uninstallable, to Disableable-but-not-Uninstallable is part of this bad faith ambiguity doctrine, since MS decides what "Disabled" actually means. Same for updates, with "Security Updates" meaning whatever MS decides it means, evidenced by past Security Updates found to have included components unrelated to system security - almost always without disclosure.

Anyhoo, I knew rough waters were ahead for Windows when Satya Nadella began shitting himself with excitement for, once again, co-opting and weaponizing someone else's innovation (AI/LLM) to breathe new monetization life into a platform he'd already written off as legacy, and not central or even integral to the company's future.

Last edited:
Accurate. "Off" was removed from their UX design vocabulary long ago because it has a quantitative value: Zero. None. There's no ambiguity.

The shift in language to "Minimal", "Minimum", "Basic", etc was devised and focus-grouped to create the illusion of user choice, while having no quantitative value MS can be held to. From their standpoint, "the user can decide whatever they want it to mean", while MS decides what it actually means inside the encrypted telemetry tunnel they don't document or disclose. Years ago after a critical mass of backlash, they attempted to create the illusion of transparency by publishing a partial set of datapoints for the "Basic" setting - which was hilarious for anyone that actually paid attention and read through them, because it was still thousands of datapoints being collected.

The shift from Uninstallable, to Disableable-but-not-Uninstallable is part of this bad faith UX ambiguity doctrine, since MS decides what "Disabled" actually means. This extends to updates, with "Security Updates" meaning whatever MS decides it means, evidenced by past Security Updates found to have included components unrelated to system security - almost always without disclosure.

Anyhoo, I knew rough waters were ahead for Windows when Satya Nadella began shitting himself with excitement for, yet again, co-opting and weaponizing someone else's innovation (AI/LLM) to breathe new monetization life into a platform he'd already written off as legacy, and not central or even integral to the company's future.

As far as I am concerned, the only acceptable quantity of data collected for any purpose is zero, zilch, nada.

It should be justifiable under the law to defend yourself against anyone who collects any amount of data, by any means necessary.

Nothing else is acceptable.

Don't even really know what that means but one of my Arsenal buds on Twitter goes by that name haha
1714532679400.png

its what lead to the ban of ai in the Dune books.

Back