Everyone With Asus K8V Read...

Chrispy

Limp Gawd
This does NOT apply to everyone. I'm just informing people so that they can check and prevent a potential issue from arising.

Apparently there is a problem with a batch of Asus K8V Deluxe motherboards that went out with S/N's ending in the 3000's.....so check your serial number and if the last for digits are 3XXX then check your capacitors!

There have been MANY boards (at least in the GTA/Greater Toronto Area) that have been DOA with busted/burst capacitors bubbling, leaking, or some that worked fine for awhile and then bust.

So check them out. The capacitors that have been blowing in 95% of all cases i've seen are the capacitors right aroudn where the memory slots are.

Don't get all worried, as I said, this does not apply to everyone, but if you have a board with this S/N, or close to, just check it out.

EDIT: Also, meant to say that Asus has made a "Silent Recall" on some boards...in other words, they aren't doing anything about it unless they are approached by a consumer/supplier.

I don't have an affected board either. The only thing I'd love to see on these boards are AGP/PCI locks. Although if I'm not mistaken, the PCI bus is locked, just not the AGP.

YOu mean Frequency locks? I think they are going to add those in the next bios revision.

Originally posted by [H] - WRX
YOu mean Frequency locks? I think they are going to add those in the next bios revision.

I sure hope so, that would be a selling point to me.

Using Clockgen, my board doesn't appear to have a PCI or AGP lock. I hope it's something they can put into a BIOS revision, but I doubt it. We're talking about VIA chipsets and as everyone knows, they've definitely had a checkered past.

My 3000+ will run Prime 95 stable @ 2100mhz with 1.45 volts! Unfortunately, I can't test the upper limits of this chip, but I'm pretty sure I could get 23-2400mhz with 1.6 vcore.

where can i find the s/n on my board i see one on top of one of the slots but it doesn't say s/n anywhere

If you still have the original box, it's on a small white sticker on the front side of the box.

On the board, it should be between the PCI slots somewhere.

This one is 3195 and has been running a little more than 3 months now.

Back