Huge Memory Boost - AMD's next AGESA update's giving Ryzen 7000 fast DDR5 support

CAD4466HK

2[H]4U
Been hearing all kinds of good things about this AGESA update (1007B), as in AMD Ryzen 7000 users can now reach mem speeds of 7200, and according to Buildzoid DDR5-8000 is even possible.

https://overclock3d.net/news/memory...pdate_s_giving_ryzen_7000_fast_ddr5_support/1

Ryzen 7000. Running DDR5-8000. On a sub 300USD 8 layer daisy chain motherboard. This new BIOS is completely insanen. I might get DDR5-8000 stable on Ryzen before I ever get it stable on intel LOL.

1690218887029.png

Maybe more test were achieved, but from what I saw yet to see the platform being able to use it for better performance, feel like really good news for those who bought a nice AM5 board instead of Intel because of platform longevity, if the 670-boards can run 8000 DDR-5 as long the cpu memory controller do, they could be good for years. It could have been a bit of bothersome if they would have stuck under around 6200-6400 with people running 8400 on their 8900x-x770 boards

CL doesn't really mean anything on Ryzen 7000 anyways. Subtimings are far more important. My 6000 kit XMP is CL 44 (64GB dual rank) and I get almost nothing bumping 44-44-44-77 to 30-32-32-30. Tightening the subtimings as far as they'll go boosts it like 15% though.

Good to know. Maybe something else is holding back Zen 4 from gaining any extra performance. Perhaps this will change with Zen 5.
Apparently at these higher speeds it decouples the memory clock with the infinity fabric clock. Hopefully With Zen 5 they can raise that.

So I tried this out on my system since Asus just dropped the BIOS for it, its 400000000x less stable than before. It can barely POST at all auto settings with 4800mhz memory selected. Usually it will POST loop for 15-20 times before it eventually will be able to get to windows. My memory kit is a 6000 2x32 A-die that was stable at 7200mhz on my intel rig. It was running at 6000 just fine under 1.0.0.7a, but the update just ruined it.

So I tried this out on my system since Asus just dropped the BIOS for it, its 400000000x less stable than before. It can barely POST at all auto settings with 4800mhz memory selected. Usually it will POST loop for 15-20 times before it eventually will be able to get to windows. My memory kit is a 6000 2x32 A-die that was stable at 7200mhz on my intel rig. It was running at 6000 just fine under 1.0.0.7a, but the update just ruined it.
That kit is dual rank so it's understandable that the ram training will be harder / longer.
Have you tried cleared the cmos and run with 1 stick first installed at B2 (or the farthest dimm from your cpu socket)?
I will do this first to try the new bios.

Note: this is one of user who uses x670e crosshair extreme, he can do 6600 1:1 now using the new bios
1690592786976.png

I just decided to get the Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series that HUB uses for their testing to pair with 7600x, 6000Mhz Cl 30 stuff

It seems like with these newer AGESAs AMD is now supporting 24/48GB sticks too? I knew it was exclusive to Intel for a little but I saw a G.Skill 2 x 24GB EXPO kit. Do any AMD motherboard not support the new DIMM size after the AGESA update?

Do they also scale/clock similar to the 16/32GB sticks too?

I just decided to get the Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series that HUB uses for their testing to pair with 7600x, 6000Mhz Cl 30 stuff
That's what I did, I've tried 6400 and multiple sub timing changes. The 6000 CL30 with tuned timings showed the best results but frankly some of the variations were in the 1% range. Once you come off the 1:1 ratio you lose performance from what I've seen.

Gigabyte is now showing support for up to DDR5 8000 on their QVL vs previously only up to 6666

Weird, I updated my BIOS this week and it subjectively seems more stable and performant, to me, using the EXPO II profile.

Weird, I updated my BIOS this week and it subjectively seems more stable and performant, to me, using the EXPO II profile.

I have discovered the cause of the instability, my front USB port was shorted to itself. I moved the parts to a spare case I had thats missing some panels and it works fine.

That's what I did, I've tried 6400 and multiple sub timing changes. The 6000 CL30 with tuned timings showed the best results but frankly some of the variations were in the 1% range. Once you come off the 1:1 ratio you lose performance from what I've seen.

I've heard that the new AGESA also allows for 1:1 up to ~6400. I haven't tried it yet. I have a 6400 CL32 kit, that I run with XMP settings and just downclock it to 6200 1:1 and it's been stable.

Is this AGESA update supposed to improve any AM4/DDR4 improvements? The promo materials mention "improved stability" without specifying AM5 and/or DDR5, but I don't see anyone talking about AM4/DDR4 improvements (or failures). I guess it's last-gen platform and components, but I'm still trying to overclock b-die on my Asus Prime B550-PLUS.

Is this AGESA update supposed to improve any AM4/DDR4 improvements? The promo materials mention "improved stability" without specifying AM5 and/or DDR5, but I don't see anyone talking about AM4/DDR4 improvements (or failures). I guess it's last-gen platform and components, but I'm still trying to overclock b-die on my Asus Prime B550-PLUS.

Different platform. Different AGESA.

Built many many PCs in the past 25 years. The ones that have given me the most grief the past 4-5 years? Ryzen machines. It's always RAM releated. Never used to worry about RAM but everytime I get asked to build a Ryzen machine my heart sinks.

If I get a Ryzen machine in that has issues...it's always the RAM. Never had an issue with Athlon/Duron/Phenom/FX etc. But Ryzen...fix your crap AMD!

I pulled my Crucial 5600Mhz out and dropped the GSKill 6000Mhz in, let it do the memory training and it will boot to default speed, Xepo 1 6000Mhz 30Cl is now ready! I have had no issues on any of the DDR5 kits yet with F4 bios on Gigabyte B650 that I have tired so far,

I'm getting ready to build a Zen4 system w/ 7950X3D, Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme, and so far the GSkill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32gb (2x 16gb) 6000mhz CL30 kit. From what I seem to be reading, apparently the 6000CL30 kits seem to offer the highest performance at EXPO and/or with tweaked timings, provided you stick to Gear1 (1:1), even over faster frequencies with looser timings like 6400mhz kits and the like? One thing I'm curious regarding now that RAM has taken a nosedive in price since the beginning of the year is how well AM5 builds will do with all 4 slots populated? Will I generally be able to get the same best general use performance if I buy another 32GB kit of the same, or will there be a significant impediment or other difficulties with all 4 slots populated?

Back