New Heatsink on Amd 3D chips are you worried about getting thermal paste in the side holes?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
if thermal paste runs on the sides of it can you remove the lid on the CPU? Or is he thermal paste stuck under the chip?

In the videos.. when you see them squeezing half a tube on the IHS.. you know that was a joke right?

You dont need much TIM.

AMD-Ryzen-7000-CPU-Official-Product-Gallery-_7-low_res-scale-4_00x-Custom-1030x579.jpg

Just full of holes though I know you don't need much but it could be a mess.

It's not going to get under the "lid." They glue it to the pcb to keep it in place, and nothing's getting past that glue.

That said, if you use a conductive paste and it gets on the capacitors you see there, that may be an issue, but you should never use enough that it'd squeeze out onto them, and it's easy enough to keep it off during application and clean-up with just a bit of tape if you are worried about it.

If you're worried, just dab some on and then spread it yourself with your finger, evenly to all corners, manually. That's what I did. No mess, takes like <1 minute. My temperatures on my 7800X3D are great.

(most) Thermal paste isn't conductive anyway, so doesn't matter much though.

Reactions: Xar
like this
if thermal paste runs on the sides of it can you remove the lid on the CPU? Or is he thermal paste stuck under the chip?

Its glued down boss, nothing is getting under there. Have you seen how hard it is to delid these things? I've only used paste on them once or twice because I've switched to graphite pads, but to clean them I just use a soft toothbrush to gently brush the paste out of the gaps, works fine.

It's not going to get under the "lid." They glue it to the pcb to keep it in place, and nothing's getting past that glue.

That said, if you use a conductive paste and it gets on the capacitors you see there, that may be an issue, but you should never use enough that it'd squeeze out onto them, and it's easy enough to keep it off during application and clean-up with just a bit of tape if you are worried about it.

Its glued down boss, nothing is getting under there. Have you seen how hard it is to delid these things? I've only used paste on them once or twice because I've switched to graphite pads, but to clean them I just use a soft toothbrush to gently brush the paste out of the gaps, works fine.
There are actually gaps all around the chip. They are only glued at the 4 corners.

That said, its not technically an issue if thermal paste gets in there. Won't affect temps in the slightest.

I read somewhere that it is always a good practice to remove any old thermal paste residue if you decide to use another different paste. There is a remote possibility that mixing two different thermal pastes from different manufacturers could cause chemical reaction over time which can reduce the thermal conductivity, at least from what I can find via google but I'm not 100% sure if any chemical reaction will expose/create loose metal particles (particularly silver) which can be problematic for electrical performance (e.g. silver migration). Can't find any info on this and if anyone has a link on this, that will be appreciated.

A stock cooler like AMD Wraith Max is enough for 7800X3D really. No need for additional Thermal paste unless you plan to play with clock speed and voltage.

A stock cooler like AMD Wraith Max is enough for 7800X3D really. No need for additional Thermal paste unless you plan to play with clock speed and voltage.
According to AMD it’s recommended to use a water cooler, it’s a 120 watt processor.

Back