PSU Cables too long...

S

splinter3k

My overclock blew up last month and I needed a PC quick, so I stopped at my local CC and found a pretty nice HP that would due until I had the cash to build something new and figure out what parts of my old PC survived. So quick summary...

Athlon XP 2800+, 1 gig DDR333, 120GB Seagate HDD, CD-RW, DVD +/- RW and I upgraded it from a stock Radeon 9200SE to my still usable Radeon 9600XT.

It's really not a bad little box, built on a stock Asus motherboard and after a quick clean install of Windows performs pretty comparably to similair set ups. I did put an Antec Cyclone exhaust blower under the Radeon, but that is about it.

Work is looking questionable right now and a lay off might be in the cards, so I may need to live with this machine for a while. So I figure the next best move would be to upgrade the video card (seeing as the price on 9800XTs should start falling shortly). The only barrier is actually the power supply, which is a Bestec rated at 250w. Since some of the higher end cards are calling for 300w or better I figure I can swap out the power supply and pop in any card I want in the immediate future, giving this machine at least a few extra months of life.

Problem is, it's a small case and my experiences with Antec and TT are that power supplies have tons of cabling, I have no place to hide those cables and don't want to disrupt my airflow. So does anyone know of a model, say in the 350w range, with shorter/less cabling? I need 4-6 4 pin connectors, don't need any floppy connectors and need a 20 pin/ATX cable under 14 inches if posssilbe. I have looked at Fortron and Sparkle and like some of what I saw, but those main 20 pin cables still look pretty long? Any suggstions outside of modding one myself, which I am not comfortable with. Anyone have any experience with these power supplies, could it handle a 9800xt or similair without heaving it's guts up? I don't want to damage anything. All input welcome.

You might be able to find a PSU that has short cables, but it's sort of a catch 22: If it's got short cables like that, it's more than likely to be a cheap off-brand that is no better than your current supply.

Are you handy with a soldering iron? Because if so, you could always just buy a regular supply and shorten the cables yourself

Thanks for your answer, that is exactly what I am afraid of with finding such a supply. And sadly, I'm a butcher with a soldering iron :mad: :( I pulled all the info off this unit...

Bestec ATX-250-12Z Rev D.

+12v---14A
+5V--25A
+3.3V--18A
-12V--.8A
+5VSB--2A

+5 & +3.3V=165W Max

+5 & +12=218W Max

At first I was surprised it was running this well with such a small supply, then I was more surprised to find out they are shipping their Athlon 64 systems with the same supply and the the 9800SE is available in that config?

This machine has yet to hiccup even after several straight hours of some demanding games (UT2K4, Max Payne 2, PoP, etc...) I wonder just how far I could push it.

and of course its alot easier to shorten then than lengthen them :p

1. PC Power & Cooling offers custom length cables for a little extra
(and are probably the best PSUs going, but they arent cheap)

2. You can buy tools to remove the molex 4 pin power connectors and another for the ATX pins, new pins for both, and a crip to to do both sizes of pins (I went this route, just dont need 20 odd inches of cable especially since they are rachmounts Im redoing 4 different PSUs)

3. As Vertigo Acid points out, shortening the other end of the cables is an option

Or, for a butt-ugly solution that is quick and easy, cut them in the middle, remove the length you want and then use twist connectors (dunno what they're called) to connect the two stripped ends of wire together.

^ and use heatshrink :p

(electrical tape is really ugly)
but that does introduce the potential for problems if the wire to wire contact is poor
Ive seen tutorials on soldering two wires together though

Okay, found a Fortron 300w with fairly short cables and did a little mod to my motherboard tray and can now hide the excess. Do you guys think that a 300w Fortron can handle this load....

HP a410e
Athlon XP 2800+
ASUS A7V8X-LA mobo (mATX, KM400 chipset, 8237 south bridge)
1 gig DDR333 (2x 512 Crucial)
120GB Seagate HDD
Samsung 48x CD-RW
NEC 8x DVD+/-RW

Heatsink fan 60mm Taisol @ 5v (ramps up to 12v if CPU temp hits 70C)
92mm exhaust fan @7v (ramps up to 12v if CPU temp hits 70C)
Antec Cyclone under video card @12v
might add a blow hole fan to the door, Zalman 80mm @7v

and replace the current 9600xt with a 9800xt in the next few months? No overclock except the Overdrive option in the ATI control panel.

Excellent, thanks for the quick reply, I have heard lots of good stuff about Fortrons so I was pretty sure it would do it. How much load am I really putting on this supply?

splinter3k said:
Thanks for your answer, that is exactly what I am afraid of with finding such a supply. And sadly, I'm a butcher with a soldering iron :mad: :( I pulled all the info off this unit...

Bestec ATX-250-12Z Rev D.

+12v---14A
+5V--25A
+3.3V--18A
-12V--.8A
+5VSB--2A

+5 & +3.3V=165W Max

+5 & +12=218W Max

At first I was surprised it was running this well with such a small supply, then I was more surprised to find out they are shipping their Athlon 64 systems with the same supply and the the 9800SE is available in that config?

This machine has yet to hiccup even after several straight hours of some demanding games (UT2K4, Max Payne 2, PoP, etc...) I wonder just how far I could push it.

I had that same PSU in a Compaq. I swapped it out along with the case to my parents' to quiet their PC a bit, but before that I had a AIW 9800 Pro, 2600+, 2 hard drives, CD-ROM, 1GB of RAM and a couple case fans running off of that PSU with no signs of trouble. This includes a period of time where I ran it non-stop for a month at 100% load. It's low spec, but it doesn't seem to be a flimsy POS... that sucker is a brick.

Cardboard Hammer said:
I had that same PSU in a Compaq. I swapped it out along with the case to my parents' to quiet their PC a bit, but before that I had a AIW 9800 Pro, 2600+, 2 hard drives, CD-ROM, 1GB of RAM and a couple case fans running off of that PSU with no signs of trouble. This includes a period of time where I ran it non-stop for a month at 100% load. It's low spec, but it doesn't seem to be a flimsy POS... that sucker is a brick.

Hmm, good to know, I already ordered the Fortron and it will be here tomorrow, but I'll keep the stock model as a back up. Now I just need some $$$ for a 9800XT :D

Back