Fallout 4

Far Harbor has the best armor in the game, second only to power armor, with some good attributes.
If you have the caps, you can buy it as soon as you get there.

If you have Armorer and Science perks maxed out, you can get a version of it from the Children of Atom, that is bad ass as well.

1716247346338.png

Last edited:
I'm nigh unkillable in most scenarios, so I don't really care about protection all that much. Most of the time I just run right at things and gun them down. At this point I'd trade 90% of my protection for stat boosts. I *am* in Far Harbor right now, so I'm sure I'll snag the fancy set, though. I just finished up the stuff in town and just started talking to the synths.

Last night I got 5 legendary drops. 2 were left arm items I'd gotten before, one was a pretty sweet .45-70 that fires 2 rounds at a time, and the other two were pretty decent melee weapons that I'll probably never use. Still nothing for my right arm or leg...although I did end up buying a "Black Ops" right leg armor just so I had something of value on that leg.

Yeah, I've been rocking the same armor for pretty much forever. I have a shoulder with STR +1 and INT+ 1, helmet with CHR +1 and INT +1 (oddly, a combat helmet that was even better than the Mechinist's), and leg with LCK +2. I haven't gotten anything worth a damn for the other leg or arm, though. I've found 0 legendaries for my right leg and only 1 for my right arm...which has something like 10% less damage from insects or something like that. I'd venture that I've found at least 30 legendaries for my left arm and like 1-2 for all the other limbs combined. The only times I really get low in health are with giant explosions, so I'd really like the stat increases vs. protection.

Gun-wise, I'm all about the ones that do 2X damage for critical hits or the ones that fire 2 bullets. I have an assault rifle that goes into slo-mo for 3 seconds every time I aim down the sights. That's another big winner considering it hits like a truck, holds tons of ammo, and gives me all day to headshot things. I generally feel pretty lucky with finding legendary weapons, which makes my conundrum with my right arm and leg armors all the more puzzling.
I feel you. My luck is maxed, maybe that's why I've gotten so many legendary drops. Seems like it anyway. I have 1 locker of just the unused legendary weapons, and another with the armor pieces.
I have a fat man with the 'shoots 2 projectiles' on it, but never used it yet. I think that's the only weapon I have with that effect.
Far Harbor has the best armor in the game, second only to power armor, with some good attributes.
If you have the caps, you can buy it as soon as you get there.

If you have Armorer and Science perks maxed out, you can get a version of it from the Children of Atom, that is bad ass as well.

View attachment 654921
Is it better than the X-02?

My first playthru back in 2016 or 2017, I never even knew the game had X-02. That playthru I didn't have any DLC or very limited DLC. I think I remember Mechanists Lair (was that in Fallout 3?), but not Vault 88 nor Nuka World. I wish I had known not to accept Garvey's Minutemen quest until I was done with NukaWorld... I want to power up the park but I don't want to piss off Preston, who I still can't even get to come with me as a companion. I did finally just re-take the castle, and have a quest to go back so maybe after that. If I could power the park myself, I would just go kill all of those raiders. I have Gage's perk already at least. I need to go find the rest of the SCAV comics still, and I think I and 1 or 2 starcores short. Is that what powers up the park? I found that old power plant on the far west side and cleared it out already.

Last edited:
I feel you. My luck is maxed, maybe that's why I've gotten so many legendary drops. Seems like it anyway. I have 1 locker of just the unused legendary weapons, and another with the armor pieces.
I have a fat man with the 'shoots 2 projectiles' on it, but never used it yet. I think that's the only weapon I have with that effect.

Is it better than the X-02?

My first playthru back in 2016 or 2017, I never even knew the game had X-02. That playthru I didn't have any DLC or very limited DLC. I think I remember Mechanists Lair (was that in Fallout 3?), but not Vault 88 nor Nuka World. I wish I had known not to accept Garvey's Minutemen quest until I was done with NukaWorld... I want to power up the park but I don't want to piss off Preston, who I still can't even get to come with me as a companion. I did finally just re-take the castle, and have a quest to go back so maybe after that. If I could power the park myself, I would just go kill all of those raiders. I have Gage's perk already at least. I need to go find the rest of the SCAV comics still, and I think I and 1 or 2 starcores short. Is that what powers up the park? I found that old power plant on the far west side and cleared it out already.
The armor I referenced is the best non-power armor in the game.
Yes the Mechanist was in FO3.
If you do any kind of mission for the Raiders that involves the Commonwealth or become the boss, that will piss off Preston.
The Star Cores power Nuka World in conjunction with the power plant that you have to go back to during the Power Play mission.

After you power up the park, don't forget to ride the roller coaster in the Galactic Zone. Wheeeeee!

I'm nigh unkillable in most scenarios, so I don't really care about protection all that much. Most of the time I just run right at things and gun them down. At this point I'd trade 90% of my protection for stat boosts. I *am* in Far Harbor right now, so I'm sure I'll snag the fancy set, though. I just finished up the stuff in town and just started talking to the synths.

Last night I got 5 legendary drops. 2 were left arm items I'd gotten before, one was a pretty sweet .45-70 that fires 2 rounds at a time, and the other two were pretty decent melee weapons that I'll probably never use. Still nothing for my right arm or leg...although I did end up buying a "Black Ops" right leg armor just so I had something of value on that leg.
I hear ya. Crank things up to very hard, FO4 is too easy past level 50.
The only armor I care about is the Freefall leg armor in Mass Fusion.

Anyone know if the DLCs come free? I bought and played Fallout 4 when it came out on Steam, the vanilla version. If I go back will I get the DLCs or should I just spend another $10.00 for game of the year on GOG?

You all want to be a Post-apocalyptic tank in FO4, even in Survival mode? Don't pick up any magazines until the associated skill is maxed. After that pick up the associated Bobblehead.

Anyone know if the DLCs come free? I bought and played Fallout 4 when it came out on Steam, the vanilla version. If I go back will I get the DLCs or should I just spend another $10.00 for game of the year on GOG?
You have to get the GOTY edition or buy them separate.

The armor I referenced is the best non-power armor in the game.
But it doesn't look like it can be worn under power armor.
Yes the Mechanist was in FO3.
Hmm, an d the lair too? Them maybe that is what I remember. I think I recall the mission in FO3, kill a bunch of ants in that town and fight one of them. Mechanist vs Antman or something.
I think I did have the Automaton dlc in FO4 my first playthru, but none of the others.
If you do any kind of mission for the Raiders that involves the Commonwealth or become the boss, that will piss off Preston.
I can just skip those, but hopefully still power up the park.
The Star Cores power Nuka World in conjunction with the power plant that you have to go back to during the Power Play mission.
What starts the Power Play mission? Do I HAVE to invade commonwealth? Or maybe start the quest but not proceed?
After you power up the park, don't forget to ride the roller coaster in the Galactic Zone. Wheeeeee!
Yeah I want to do that. How does the rollercoaster get fixed?

But it doesn't look like it can be worn under power armor.

Hmm, an d the lair too? Them maybe that is what I remember. I think I recall the mission in FO3, kill a bunch of ants in that town and fight one of them. Mechanist vs Antman or something.
I think I did have the Automaton dlc in FO4 my first playthru, but none of the others.

I can just skip those, but hopefully still power up the park.

What starts the Power Play mission? Do I HAVE to invade commonwealth? Or maybe start the quest but not proceed?

Yeah I want to do that. How does the rollercoaster get fixed?
It can.

Yes.

You can't skip them if you want to power up the park.

You have to finish all the other raider missions, it's like the finale.

First you have to remove all the debris, than you have to power it up.

You can power up the park without doing any raider invasion missions. You have to kill all 4 of the gang leaders as part of the "Open Season" mission given to you by one of the slaves in the Nuka marketplace. That's what I ended up doing. The only real caveat is that Porter Gage also turns hostile if you do that. Even if you avoid him, there's no normal way to use him as a henchman again. You can "fix" that with console commands, though.

It's cheaper to just buy the GOTY on the GOG sale right now than it is to buy season pass separately on Steam. If you want to keep playing on Steam you can copy the DLC files over from GOG and it should work, but I've never tried it before.

You can power up the park without doing any raider invasion missions. You have to kill all 4 of the gang leaders as part of the "Open Season" mission given to you by one of the slaves in the Nuka marketplace. That's what I ended up doing. The only real caveat is that Porter Gage also turns hostile if you do that. Even if you avoid him, there's no normal way to use him as a henchman again. You can "fix" that with console commands, though.
You are correct, I just never did it that way, since you lose out on the whole "raider Boss" thing in the Commonwealth. You make a lot of caps from the tribute chests and you don't need the Local Leader perk to build merchants and chem dispensers. But you do need the Wasteland Warlord perk to get tribute chests and to get them you have to do Power Play and Home Sweet Home.

I might try it just for shits and giggles next time.

Thanks, this is probably how I will do it. I do already have gage at max affinity and romanced. Will he still turn hostile? will I have to kill him? I'll pickpocket him first and remove his weapon... lol did that to the Nuka Cola fan. Told her I wouldn't kill the head, she gave me the jumpsuit, then I flipped the switch. She turns hostile but had no weapon. She punches you until you shoot her. she sits and I don't think she can be killed.

You are correct, I just never did it that way, since you lose out on the whole "raider Boss" thing in the Commonwealth. You make a lot of caps from the tribute chests and you don't need the Local Leader perk to build merchants and chem dispensers. But you do need the Wasteland Warlord perk to get tribute chests and to get them you have to do Power Play and Home Sweet Home.

I might try it just for shits and giggles next time.

I rolled with it since I didn't want to piss off Preston and my posse in Sanctuary Hills. I spent a ton of time building my HQ there. Open Season is amusing because you create such an insane body count. I bet I killed at least 100 people during the process alone. Even after you're done, you still get randomly attacked by more gang members in the various other parts of the park, too. You end up getting a metric boatload of ammo, caps, and stims from all the dead bodies. I grabbed one version of each set of raider armor for the hell of it, too.

Thanks, this is probably how I will do it. I do already have gage at max affinity and romanced. Will he still turn hostile? will I have to kill him? I'll pickpocket him first and remove his weapon... lol did that to the Nuka Cola fan. Told her I wouldn't kill the head, she gave me the jumpsuit, then I flipped the switch. She turns hostile but had no weapon. She punches you until you shoot her. she sits and I don't think she can be killed.

At least on my game he attacked me no matter what I did. On the other hand, you CAN avoid him. He's in front of the tower where you first meet him, so you can avoid going near there on your way to eradicate the disciples. I think you're safe from having to kill him as long as you complete that quest without running into him.

If you want to keep him as a henchman, check out the console commands posted by Mitsurugi in this thread:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/350540973993046682/
I tested that out, and it works.

We all have different ways of playing Fallout 4. We explore, we learn, we absorb what the game is providing through experience. No matter the level anyone's character is, pick your battles wisely and grow your character as you wish dependent upon the playstyle chosen.

I've been exploring the Far Harbor areas and was happy to encounter a pair of Vim power armors. Their stats weren't great, but they'll look nice in my collection. In general, Vim seems to be exponentially more rare than Nuka. I've only found maybe 4-5 bottles in total, and that's looking in all the machines and even in the factory.

I've been exploring the Far Harbor areas and was happy to encounter a pair of Vim power armors. Their stats weren't great, but they'll look nice in my collection. In general, Vim seems to be exponentially more rare than Nuka. I've only found maybe 4-5 bottles in total, and that's looking in all the machines and even in the factory.
You can apply that Vim paint scheme that you find in the factory on the Ambassador terminal to any T-51 PA. It also contains the Vim Refresh if I remember right.

If memory serves, there are three VIM power armors. Two in the factory and one West(?) of Far Harbor.

If memory serves, there are three VIM power armors. Two in the factory and one West(?) of Far Harbor.

Good to know. I found one in the factory and one (the "refresh") in a truck's trailer near Uncle Ken's place. At this point I have 20 armor skeletons, so I don't really even want/need more :p

Good to know. I found one in the factory and one (the "refresh") in a truck's trailer near Uncle Ken's place. At this point I have 20 armor skeletons, so I don't really even want/need more :p
Good thing you get them as a paint scheme instead of having to keep the armor then. ;)

Where do you all get your power armor frames? I have always been power armor rich minus the frames.

Where do you all get your power armor frames? I have always been power armor rich minus the frames.

I've mostly just found them. Most of mine have been complete sets just sitting around. At least minus the Quantum set that required finding all those damned star cores. A few were locked up in dungeons/buildings, but at least 5-6 of them were sitting in random sheds or shacks. I took a couple of them off random enemies wearing them, too. It's easier to hop into a full set of armor and fast travel back to my HQ than it is to strip it of the armor and overburden myself.
I originally setup my HQ area to have 4 sets on display. As I found more and more, I swapped that to 6 sets on display, 5 in a prefab wooden storage shack, and the rest (totally stripped of armor) in a rando house in Sanctuary.

Like the others have said, they are everywhere and for like 3000-4000 caps you can buy them.
Atom Cats has a frame just sitting in the garage if u want it and they sell frames too.

If your lazy and want to know where all the suits are in the base game.

1716397849728.png

As I'm progressing through Far Harbor, I definitely have to salute the team that made the DLCs for this game. If you combine them, you basically have a whole new game. It's high quality stuff that's (mostly) fun to do, too. Can't say I love the memory puzzles, but they're at least pretty well done. I'm glad the show made me replay FO4, it really is a hell of a game.

As I'm progressing through Far Harbor, I definitely have to salute the team that made the DLCs for this game. If you combine them, you basically have a whole new game. It's high quality stuff that's (mostly) fun to do, too. Can't say I love the memory puzzles, but they're at least pretty well done. I'm glad the show made me replay FO4, it really is a hell of a game.

Same, didn't buy the DLC's at release, just played the base game thru. Hell I am having a ball just breaking the game with cheats whenever the hell I feel like it. I have limited time, so having fun when where I can.

Went through Dima's memories once. Noped the 2nd time with a bypass mod.
The first time I played through the memories, the game would CTD like clockwork on the 3rd stage and lose all my progress, having me start it over so many times I lost count.
Took me around 3 days to beat it by cheesing the AI at certain intersections to prevent it from crashing smh.

I'm not into puzzle games in general, so I was miserable doing the memories section. Can't say I as very happy about them changing my control scheme, either. It took me forever to realize that jump was Y instead of A. I had to look up a solution only to realize that I could jump. Once I figured that out, I was able to do the rest...but it took me forever. Especially the 4th one.
Luckily all that's done now. I think I only have the wrapping up missions where the game seems to be forcing me to take a side. I lean in the direction of the townsfolk just by default.

So what I'm hearing is I have some.cheatinf and cheesing to do on the island soon.

So what I'm hearing is I have some.cheatinf and cheesing to do on the island soon.

You might like that section. My wife loves stuff like that, so you might too. Give it a try and see what you think.

Totally unrelated, anyone else notice that Far Harbor seems to be absolutely overflowing with adhesive? It's kinda funny considering it's pretty rare in most of the world. There are absolutely thousands of wonderglue bottles and military duct tape rolls everywhere you look. Pretty sure if you grab even 1/2 of it then you'll never need to pick it up ever again. That can't be accidental. Makes me wonder if there's a specific area with piles of aluminum like that.

You might like that section. My wife loves stuff like that, so you might too. Give it a try and see what you think.

Totally unrelated, anyone else notice that Far Harbor seems to be absolutely overflowing with adhesive? It's kinda funny considering it's pretty rare in most of the world. There are absolutely thousands of wonderglue bottles and military duct tape rolls everywhere you look. Pretty sure if you grab even 1/2 of it then you'll never need to pick it up ever again. That can't be accidental. Makes me wonder if there's a specific area with piles of aluminum like that.

Adhesive

I think the abundance of adhesive in Far Harbor is on purpose. There are many unique weapons to be had in Far Harbor and since adhesive is a primary component of crafting there are plenty of opportunities to upgrade each unique weapon; of which, I highly recommend.

On a related note, if ever in need, you could always grown your own adhesive. Plant the following:

3 Corn
3 Mutfruit
3 Tato
1 Purified Water

These ingredients, when combined at a cooking station, will make vegetable starch. Scrapping vegetable starch will produce 5 adhesive. This is what I have done with Sunshine Tidings Co-op as it has three planting spaces: one for Corn, one for Mutfruit and one for Tato.

Aluminum

The only place where I remember there is a boatload of aluminum is the Mahkra Fishpacking plant located in the upper right of The Commonwealth just below where the Far Harbor main quest begins. There are a plethora of aluminum trays all over the interior of the plant. You'll have to plow through a few synths to get them but that isn't too terribly difficult even in Survival Mode. I believe the location refreshes after a day or so so it can be looted over and over and over again.

If you don't want to fight off Synths then the best option, in my opinion, is to setup several scavenger stations. At larger settlements (Sunshine Tidings Co-op, Sanctuary Hills, Abernathy Farm, Spectacle Island, etc) I have a minimum of eight scavenger stations and up to 14 (Spectacle Island). I've had great luck getting aluminum, as well as other resources, by having so many of them.

Be aware: ensure that defenses are double to or higher than the amount of food and water produced (20 food + 20 water = 80 defense). The higher the defenses, the lower the chance the settlement will be attacked. I personally choose to have a quadruple defense since it makes settlement attacks a rare occasion. I personally use the mod Advanced Settlement Turret Set as it has the Advanced Liberty Prime Laser Turret. That turret is a one shot, one kill beast even at harder difficulties.

Part of the reason I choose to use the mod is the way Bethesda chose to integrate settlement attacks. Gunners or raiders suddenly appearing within the walls of the settlement where there is only one entrance? Hogwash. That just ain't right. :D

Materials-wise, I tend to go through phases where I need one thing or another. Usually based on my habits of picking up random stuff. Right now I think I have piles of everything but ceramic thanks to me upgrading a few power armor suits.

Vault 88 was a lifesaver when I built my compound in Sanctuary. I pretty much bulldozed everything in that place and the amount of stuff I recovered allowed me to pretty much build a mansion.

At this point I've finished up Far Harbor and all the other DLC's, so I guess it's time to finally do the main storylines. I'm level 67 and have 118 fusion cores + a pile of maxed out weapons. The wastes aren't gonna know what hit 'em.

Back