Intel CEO Doesn't See Arm-based Chips as Competition in the PC Sector

I'm certain that if AMD wanted an ARM based SoC, they'd have one working today. It wouldn't take AMD until 2026 to have Sound Wave. Remember, AMD was knocking on Nintendo's door to offer their SoC for the Switch 2, and I doubt Nintendo was ready to wait until 2026 for it. I also doubt Nintendo wanted an x86 chip that wouldn't be compatible with their Switch's ARM based games for backwards compatibility. Sound Wave is probably a project that AMD is working on because you never know. Imagine if AMD could go up to Apple and offer their chips which run ARM, because I'm sure Apple's M-series are costing them a fortune to produce. There was also a time period when AMD first released Ryzen there was talks about an ARM based chip you could just put in the same AM4 motherboards. Ryzen was a huge success and an ARM chip never surfaced. If there was a market for it, AMD would have an ARM chip out this year.
Well given how bad the SnapdragonX supposedly is, it makes sense that Microsoft would want an alternative choice.
That's the strange thing because it's been reported by OEMs that Qualcomm is lying about their Snapdragon X chips performance, but everyone is calling the death of x86. Meanwhile Intel can't make enough Meteor Lake chips to keep up with demand. Everyone thinks Apple's ARM based laptops are selling great, but Apple keeps losing MacOS relevance. Apple is now stuffing M4's into tablets, which tells me that Apple isn't selling enough Macbooks for all the chips they buy from TSMC. Apple is holding onto TSMC's 3nm, and either Apple makes chips or someone like Qualcomm and AMD can buy manufacturing time. I don't think Microsoft needs Windows ARM right now to compete with Apple. The only reason Microsoft is pursing ARM is because they want to separate themselves from x86's legacy open nature of allowing other OS's to be installed.

Linux and money. Microsoft wouldn't be happy to see people switch away from Windows. The problem for Microsoft is that we're still using IBM compatible machines.
Why is that a "problem" for Microsoft and not a clear business advantage?

But Linux on ARM is becoming more significant. https://www.tomshardware.com/softwa...tem-is-why-hes-doing-more-arm64-linux-testing Full disclosure: I don't use Linux except for Windows Subsystem for Linux, and only occasionally.

I am going to guess that 3-4 years from now, ARM-based Windows will have a "reasonable" number of ARM-native applicatons in addition to those that will run on the (future) X64 emulation on ARM. Beyiond that, who knows? It's all speculation. Also, I can't see Intel and AMD passively watching ARM processors eating their lunch and dinner.

Last edited:
Microsoft's weird ARM fetish:

Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, and Samsung are all launching new Copilot Plus PCs, which will ship initially with Qualcomm processors.

Over the past two years, Microsoft has worked in secret with all of its top laptop partners to ready a selection of Arm-powered Windows machines that will hit the market this summer. Known as Copilot Plus PCs, they’re meant to kick-start a generation of powerful, battery-efficient Windows laptops and lay the groundwork for an AI-powered future.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/5/20/24160463/microsoft-windows-laptops-copilot-arm-chips-m1

That a lot of demo where no one can try them for themselve....

- In fact, it’s going to outperform any device out there, including a MacBook Air with an M3 processor, by over 50 percent on sustained performance
- performance and battery life looks lightyears ahead of the Arm-powered Windows laptops that existed before today.
- improved emulator called Prism, which Microsoft claims is as efficient as Apple’s Rosetta 2 translation layer and can emulate apps twice as fast as the previous generation of Windows on Arm devices.

Benchmark numbers look good apparently ( Except, this time around, the Surface pulled ahead on the first test "versus 3rd gen macbook air". Then it won another test and another after that), will have to wait real tests to see if it was not cherry-pick and not playing with the power envelope.

It also have math bending battery:
On 2022’s Intel-based Surface Laptop 5, it took eight hours, 38 minutes to completely deplete a battery; the new Surface Copilot Plus PC lasted three times that, hitting 16 hours, 56 minutes. 15-inch MacBook Air M3, which lasted 15 hours, 25 minutes.

Wonder if the written mistook sufrace laptop 5 and the 8 hours, anyway if the cheating was low beating m3 macbook air in battery life would be quite something for windows.

Last edited:
That a lot of demo where no one can try them for themselve....

In fact, it’s going to outperform any device out there, including a MacBook Air with an M3 processor, by over 50 percent on sustained performance
performance and battery life looks lightyears ahead of the Arm-powered Windows laptops that existed before today.

Benchmark numbers look good apparently ( Except, this time around, the Surface pulled ahead on the first test "versus 3rd gen macbook air". Then it won another test and another after that), will have to wait real tests to see if it was not cherry-pick and not playing with the power envelope.
I hope it's a lot more than that considering the Air has the absolute lowest end version of the M chip that Apple makes. I still want these chips to do as awesomely great as possible. The M3 is no longer the target though, since Apple just announced the M4.

considering the Air has the absolute lowest end version of the M chip that Apple makes.
It is still quite the machine to beat it by 50% with more battery life, I would not hope than that, I doubt they are downplaying-massing everything down here, I would imagine they stretch reality the most, getting has close to a lie they can without being one to make it look as good as possible.

The air still get the full M3 chips (and being a 15 inch it was the 10 core gpu), a macbook pro will not outperform an air by much without upgrading the cpu to a m3 pro or max.

It is still quite the machine to beat it by 50% with more battery life, I would not hope than that, I doubt they are downplaying-massing everything down here, I would imagine they stretch reality the most, getting has close to a lie they can without being one to make it look as good as possible.

The air still get the full M3 chips (and being a 15 inch it was the 10 core gpu), a macbook pro will not outperform an air by much without upgrading the cpu to a m3 pro or max.
If anyone can do it, it's Qualcomm. As for Apple's M chips, the single core CPU performance has not been very impressive year after year. Their GPUs have seen the biggest jumps in performance. The Airs are impressive for what they are. The battery life is hilariously long. If they can match or beat this while maximizing performance, it would be quite significant for Windows. It would also be nice to run Windows natively on macOS again, either with third part software like Parallels or with Boot Camp, although Apple has basically disabled dual booting Macs (as least without massive amounts of fudging).

Also, Intel are idiots. This could very well be a Steve Ballmer iPhone scenario.

It would also be nice to run Windows natively on macOS again,
Windows for Arm has been out for more than a decade now, if Apple custom bootloader does not let people install it and people did not have find ways the last 3 years... it could continue to be the case.

The Surface pro X (when windows on ARM was made to run on powerful machine, not just tablet like affair like the Surface RT) launched in 2019, maybe if this work and make windows Arm more popular could give it more momemtum.

Not sure if the motivation to run arm windows on a Mac will be bigger, the big reason to run windows on a Mac is the giant legacy of apps... Arm windows apps will tend to have a native Arm MacOs version has well.

The only reason Microsoft is pursing ARM is because they want to separate themselves from x86's legacy open nature of allowing other OS's to be installed.

Yes, ARM booting is messy and not as smooth as x86, where you can use 2 sets of boot codes and you are done.

But so far all major ARM computer releases seem to have Linux running on them, no? Certainly more than Windows.

Why is that a "problem" for Microsoft and not a clear business advantage?
I didn't say it wasn't. It's a disadvantage to consumers.
But Linux on ARM is becoming more significant. https://www.tomshardware.com/softwa...tem-is-why-hes-doing-more-arm64-linux-testing Full disclosure: I don't use Linux except for Windows Subsystem for Linux, and only occasionally.
Linux on Apple M-series is a disaster. It doesn't work on any M3's currently, and that also includes M4's now. At least Qualcomm does provide code for Linux on their chips.
I am going to guess that 3-4 years from now, ARM-based Windows will have a "reasonable" number of ARM-native applicatons in addition to those that will run on the (future) X64 emulation on ARM. Beyiond that, who knows? It'sall speculation. Also, I can't see Intel and AMD passively watching ARM processors eating their lunch and dinner.
Yea sure, like this is Microsoft's first attempt at this. This is Microsoft's 3rd attempt to bring ARM to Windows.
If anyone can do it, it's Qualcomm.
Did everyone forget that Qualcomm was lying in their benchmarks? Not by a little either, like 50%.
Yes, ARM booting is messy and not as smooth as x86, where you can use 2 sets of boot codes and you are done.
ARM booting isn't as smooth as x86 if you're on a RPi. On something like ChromeBooks where you need to flip a switch hidden inside the machine, or Macbooks where you need to do a lot of work. Some reason, people in the Asahi Linux community believe that Apple let them do this.
But so far all major ARM computer releases seem to have Linux running on them, no? Certainly more than Windows.
You can install Linux on anything, but that doesn't mean you will have a good time.

Yea sure, like this is Microsoft's first attempt at this. This is Microsoft's 3rd attempt to bring ARM to Windows.
But now because of Apple, desktop type application native ARM support has became more generalized (most browsers have an arm version now, Adobe suite, Gimp, blender, 7-zip, filezilla, FFmpeg, Handbrake, Kodi, LibreOffice, Notepad++, putty, wireshark, cmake/git, everything microsoft do from vcpkg to wsl) back when Surface RT launched it was a big deal that VLC would maybe one day soon have a version, it was really bare.

And translation layer have moved quite a bit, combined with how fast cpu evolved since Ryzen launched 7 years ago and a lot of workflow would still work good enough with a 20% tax, in that regard it is a complete different game than 10-12 years ago.

If Prism is really twice the performance than their previous translation layers, that change things, it was already getting quite good.

Last edited:
But now because of Apple, desktop type application native ARM support has became more generalized (most browsers have an arm version now, Abode suite,
Abode? I think you mean Adobe. Which Adobe suite runs native on ARM?

Abode? I think you mean Adobe. Which Adobe suite runs native on ARM?
The Adobe Suite runs natively in ARM for macOS, excluding an app or two like Adobe Acrobat, which still runs via Rosetta as Intel. They've almost completely converted their entire Suite to Apple silicon now.

https://signal65.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/NewSurfaceLaptop2024_Signal65LabInsights.pdf

According to them, microsoft claim could have been true, better battery life than apple, better multithread geekbench score than a m3 (15iunch mac air version)

They tried Blender and lightroom in emulated mode instead of native and the performance is not bad at all, not that far from Apple running native.

to note obviously those are people trying to sell those device, testing them... obvious bias, but still non microsoft benchmark and battery test that match them quite well and emulation number that beat native intel, even has a bit higher cinebench than a 16 core intel chip....

Our measured battery life on the newSurface Laptop is impressive too, with over21 hours of video playback and providingmore than 2x the usable battery lifecompared to the previous Surface Laptop.It also lasts longer than the Apple MacBookAir using the M3 chip by more than 15%.Our time spent with the new SurfaceLaptop when it came to usable battery life in real-world workloads, standby time, and snappiness coming back from sleep made it the best PC experience we’ve had.

Last edited:
But now because of Apple, desktop type application native ARM support has became more generalized (most browsers have an arm version now, Adobe suite, Gimp, blender, 7-zip, filezilla, FFmpeg, Handbrake, Kodi, LibreOffice, Notepad++, putty, wireshark, cmake/git, everything microsoft do from vcpkg to wsl) back when Surface RT launched it was a big deal that VLC would maybe one day soon have a version, it was really bare.
Windows RT didn't work because Microsoft forced people to get all their apps off the App Store, which was barren. They also have zero x86 compatibility. With Surface devices running Windows 10, that was mostly fixed but people still didn't buy them. So now Microsoft is pushing for faster Silicon with 'Prism' software is going to change that? It isn't even changing it for Apple. Keep in mind most of the software you listed was already on ARM because it's open source. The only one that wasn't was Adobe suite.
And translation layer have moved quite a bit, combined with how fast cpu evolved since Ryzen launched 7 years ago and a lot of workflow would still work good enough with a 20% tax, in that regard it is a complete different game than 10-12 years ago.
The question is why go ARM when x86 is better? Right now AMD's own Zen4 based mobile chips are identical in power consumption to Apple's ARM, while having full performance and compatibility with x86 applications. Intel with their Meteor Lake is like 90% there to Apple's M3 in power consumption, while again offering better performance and compatibility to x86. Keep in mind that AMD is now using TSMC 4nm while Intel is using their hot garbage 7nm. Snapdragon Elite X will also be on 4nm, but I think people are overestimating it's performance capabilities.
If Prism is really twice the performance than their previous translation layers, that change things, it was already getting quite good.
Prism is not as good as Apple's Rosetta2 because Apple is using some hardware tricks to get their hardware closer in function to x86. Apple is getting something like 50% the performance of normal x86, and you think Prism is as good? Nobody in their right mind is going to buy an ARM based laptop for a performance penalty to running their applications. Nobody has tested these chips, besides Qualcomm and their limited benchmarks they released. Some OEM's are claiming multi-day battery life, or 17 hours. Again, these aren't cheap laptops either which are priced around $1k and more. This idiocracy barely works with Apple, and by barely I mean Apple is losing MacOS market share. Not going by Apples sold but Apple owners using their Macbooks online.

Last edited:
Keep in mind most of the software you listed was already on ARM because it's open source.
I imagine people made the little changed need to make them work but lot of them official version are since 2021 M1 launch (say blender), it used Intel library and other stuff not well ported for ARM, and was not easy for a while

View: https://medium.com/@zxyvri/findings-of-running-blender-on-a-arm-cpu-aaa6ce56a4a

I do not remember all those being available on the surface RT back in the days and they were open source. VLC is open source and they had an hard time to do it.

The question is why go ARM when x86 is better?
Is intel-amd better under 15 watts ? It is hard to distinguish how much new kernel that does not have to run giant legacy native vs hardware for something like Windows (stuff like instant wake-up/solid sleep mode and other battery life goodies)

Prism is not as good as Apple's Rosetta2 because Apple is using some hardware tricks to get their hardware closer in function to x86
Source ? How can we say that there is no hardware tricks used and how it perform, the little test we have seem to be possible.

Apple is getting something like 50% the performance of normal x86, and you think Prism is as good?
And often 80%

Last edited:
Is intel-amd better under 15 watts ? It is hard to distinguish how much new kernel that does not have to run giant legacy native vs hardware for something like Windows (stuff like instant wake-up/solid sleep mode and other battery life goodies)
I don't now about under 15 watts but battery tests show that AMD/Intel aren't far behind. AMD has better multi-threaded performance while consuming 4% more power with Cinebench. If you're watching Netflix for 4 hours you can see the AMD Zenbook is more efficient than Appe's M3 Macbook air. Intel is a fair bit more behind compared to AMD and Apple, but they're also on 7nm which kinda makes sense. Also what do you mean instant wake? I'm on Linux, but doesn't Windows also not instantly wake up? Pretty sure it did from memory.

View: https://youtu.be/oIVSJX8dy2I?list=PLxG1rcvx0wltFY3fVrCwgoLM1qktloTVY&t=362
Source ? How can we say that there is no hardware tricks used and how it perform, the little test we have seem to be possible.
This dude here. Basically Apple added Intel's memory-ordering to their CPU's and switch to it to better emulate x86. It's not just a software trick, but hardware as well. This is why Prism won't do well unless Qualcomm also did the same trick with their Snapdragon X Elite chips.
And often 80%
It's mostly 50%. The only time it's nearly 80% are games which weren't doing well to begin with on Apple. Anything that isn't CPU demanding will do 80%.

I'm on Linux, but doesn't Windows also not instantly wake up? Pretty sure it did from memory.
For a while it had issue, my laptop seem to still have it, it rarely wake instant after a day of sleep.
This dude here. Basically Apple added Intel's memory-ordering to their CPU's and switch to it to better emulate x86. It's not just a software trick, but hardware as well. This is why Prism won't do well unless Qualcomm also did the same trick with their Snapdragon X Elite chips.
I meant how do we know those qualcomm chips did not do something similar ? Or that the software side is better enough to make up for it, speculation or something that someone achieved to actually test ?

It's mostly 50%. The only time it's nearly 80% are games which weren't doing well to begin with on Apple. Anything that isn't CPU demanding will do 80%.
Games is not that relevant on that first bunch of device that barely have a gpu, obviously not what we have in mind, a lot of stuff in the past it was 70-80%+, for the AMD-nvidia arm device that could become important.

On that guy test, some of them Microsoft was better (has in the cost of not running native was smaller) than macOS at it last year

View: https://youtu.be/uY-tMBk9Vx4?t=581

Microsoft incentive for x86 emulation we can imagine could be much stronger than Apple (their windows x86 library being so large and unlike apple that broke legacy support quite often is quite important to them), will not surprise me at all if they won emulation most of the time now (or their hardware is that much better to perform in emulation that well versus the m3)

MacBook Air offers about 16% less video playback time than the new Surface Laptop.

Is this because of new processing node or dropping of unnecessary backward compatibility & i/o features ??

https://signal65.com/newsurfacelaptop/

Screenshot_20240522-130428_Drive.jpg

I meant how do we know those qualcomm chips did not do something similar ? Or that the software side is better enough to make up for it, speculation or something that someone achieved to actually test ?
We don't. That's part of the problem with the SnapDragon Eltie X in that Qualcomm hasn't let anyone touch their hardware, or explain any part of their hardware. It's a mystery as to what's going on.
Games is not that relevant on that first bunch of device that barely have a gpu, obviously not what we have in mind, a lot of stuff in the past it was 70-80%+, for the AMD-nvidia arm device that could become important.
Emulation is emulation, and generally when you emulate a game then the CPU is a bottleneck. If the game wasn't getting 30fps to begin with then native code won't do much better. If the GPU is the bottleneck then that would explain why sometimes native ARM code is the same as x86.
On that guy test, some of them Microsoft was better (has in the cost of not running native was smaller) than macOS at it last year

View: https://youtu.be/uY-tMBk9Vx4?t=581

He wrote a simple program that ran 1:1 on both ARM and x86 emulation. Then he ran Handbrake and the difference was 2x. 2x on both Windows and MacOS, but those are just two examples. You would need to test a suite of software to confirm if Windows is as capable of MacOS is at emulating x86 on ARM. No two applications are the same. I'm sure when Qualcomm's Snapdragon Elite X chips are out in the wild and being tested, we can see how well Prism works on it.
Microsoft incentive for x86 emulation we can imagine could be much stronger than Apple (their windows x86 library being so large and unlike apple that broke legacy support quite often is quite important to them), will not surprise me at all if they won emulation most of the time now (or their hardware is that much better to perform in emulation that well versus the m3)
I'm not sure and it's largely irrelevant. You could have the best emulation in the world, but it defeats the purpose of the device. If you run x86 programs on your Windows ARM based device, then you're generally going to run slower and consume more power. Programs are one thing, but what about devices and their drivers? All this emulation is doing is softening the blow that is slower and more incompatible applications that you will run into as Microsoft pushes you and charges you money for the transition that is Microsoft's take 3 of Windows on ARM. Wintel has decades of x86 applications, while Apple doesn't but they're still having a hard time getting people to transition away from Intel.

I can predict the Snapdragon Elite X performance before anyone even gets their hands on it, just by looking at Qualcomm's benchmarks. The focus is on NPU, because Microsoft requires at least 40 TOPS and so far only Qualcomm has matched this requirement. Qualcomm boasts about multicore performance compared to Apple, but you'll see no mention of AMD for a reason. Same goes for single threaded performance as Qualcomm only compares themselves to older Intel chips, for a reason. They talked about GPU performance being better than AMD, but we already know they selected a 780M with slower ram... for a reason. Battery life is suppose to be better than the Macbook Air M3 while watching video. What video? Who knows. They do compare it to the Core Ultra, but AMD is yet again missing. Anyone who has experience looking at benchmarks know that this smells funny. All synthetic tests and nobody has yet gotten their hands on these devices for benchmarking? The thing is these devices are running Windows so eventually tech reviewers like Gamers Nexus or Hardware Unboxed will get their hands on them and actually run real world benchmarks. I'm certain the real world tests will be even worse.

Microsoft's take 3 of Windows on ARM
I lost count of the takes

Windows NT for ARM
Windows Mobile 6
Windows Phone 7
Windows Phone 8
Windows Phone 10
All those Surface devices (Windows 8, 10, 11 etc.) on ARM (including the current versions where they have completely removed X86 this time in a bold move)

Last edited:
For a while it had issue, my laptop seem to still have it, it rarely wake instant after a day of sleep.
Yeah that’s a major PITA and it caused me one hell of a bad week, it was fixed via drivers and BIOS updates but it was a windows update that broke it for sure.

Everything that was recently announced seems to have a singular focus on battery life. The AI performance figures quoted are actually not very impressive. My aging Dell business laptop with a Coffee Lake i7-9850H is likely already capable of more TOPS than these NPUs, courtesy of it's Quadro RTX 5000 GPU. Of course it only gets about 1-4 hours of battery life. I guess laptop battery life is a big deal if you mainly use your laptop while sitting on the couch, balanced on your knee, while sipping your mimosa.

Everything that was recently announced seems to have a singular focus on battery life. The AI performance figures quoted are actually not very impressive. My aging Dell business laptop with a Coffee Lake i7-9850H is likely already capable of more TOPS than these NPUs, courtesy of it's Quadro RTX 5000 GPU. Of course it only gets about 1-4 hours of battery life. I guess laptop battery life is a big deal if you mainly use your laptop while sitting on the couch, balanced on your knee, while sipping your mimosa.
Apple made battery life a big focus because that's their main selling point for the Macbooks. Admittedly, this is good because prior to Apple's M-Series it wasn't uncommon that unplugging your laptop would produce the Sonic drowning music before it died. I have a ProStar laptop from over 20 years ago with upgraded batteries I welded together and I'd be lucky to get an hour of use before it ran out of power, and it would perform at less than half the performance while doing so. It runs a desktop Pentium 4 not meant for laptops, but you get the idea. Most laptop before the M-series would get 3-4 hours at best, with again half the performance. Now AMD and Intel get 5-7 hours with the ability to maintain full performance. Even though full performance for any chip would result in probably 2 hours of battery life, but that's still a huge leap forward. As for the NPU's, that's just Microsoft preparing computers for use of new AI features that nobody knows what they'll be. I'm sure some creative ideas can be done to make use of this hardware, especially since it uses much less power compared to the GPU which would still outperform them in TOPS. An RTX 3060 can do 101 TOPS, which makes all these NPU's look slow, but it would also consumer a lot more power doing so.

Last edited:
An RTX 3060 can do 101 TOPS, which makes all these NPU's look slow, but it would also consumer a lot more power doing so.
Not for long too, comparing a $300, 275mm-170watt chips to what a $20 ultra low watt solution do, when talking about thin high battery laptop.

the X1E78100 snapdragon use only 42 joules to generate an image in Stable Diffusion, about half a apple m3 use and do it faster.

Ai will be a lot about doing a lot with little power and money (at the inference level):
https://videocardz.com/newz/snapdra...aptor-lakes-with-battery-life-up-to-98-higher

The whole SOC (with the CPU-GPU-NPU together, cost oem only $145 USD), probably needed for anyone to cut competition price in half for anyone to choose them over Intel-AMD at first, but maybe a sign they are much easier to design and make. That why the pricing could be quite competitive versus Apple.

As for the NPU's, that's just Microsoft preparing computers for use of new AI features that nobody knows what they'll be.
The microsoft surface from the go will come with some already know, third party are unknown (and not imagined yet for many of them, copilot plugin api and ability to talk to agents launched less than 24 hours ago I think):
-Recall vastly discuted already
-Text to speech in any language that can run on any sound the computer make or with the mic on hear
-Translation out lout for the above
-DLSS type for any games the computer render
-You can have imagine analysis of what you are doing, the example given is an custom audio tutorial for someone playing minecraft for the first time on their computer, that would be similar to anything you do for the first time on your computer
-MSPaint will generate image from your sketch and description

Last edited:
Not for long too, comparing a $300, 275mm-170watt chips to what a $20 ultra low watt solution do, when talking about thin high battery laptop.

the X1E78100 snapdragon use only 42 joules to generate an image in Stable Diffusion, about half a apple m3 use and do it faster.

Ai will be a lot about doing a lot with little power and money (at the inference level):
https://videocardz.com/newz/snapdra...aptor-lakes-with-battery-life-up-to-98-higher
Qualcomm seems to pick and choose which chip they wanna compare to their Snapdragon Elite X. At one point they're comparing to the Alder Lake-P, which is two generations behind. They do compare it to the Intel Core Ultra 7, but we already know Intel is still the worst at battery consumption right now. Meteor Lake isn't going to be the competitor to the Snapdragon Elite X, but it would be Arrow Lake which Intel is making some bold claims against Qualcomm. We've been hearing about Snapdragon Elite X for almost a year now and nobody has been allowed to run benchmarks on it? That's suspicious as hell.
The whole SOC (with the CPU-GPU-NPU together, cost oem only $145 USD), probably needed for anyone to cut competition price in half for anyone to choose them over Intel-AMD at first, but maybe a sign they are much easier to design and make. That why the pricing could be quite competitive versus Apple.
Yet these laptops cost at least $1k with the Snapdragon chips. I can find a Core Ultra 7 on Amazon for $800, which is already cheaper than Snapdragon.
The microsoft surface from the go will come with some already know, third party are unknown (and not imagined yet for many of them, copilot plugin api and ability to talk to agents launched less than 24 hours ago I think):
-Recall vastly discuted already
-Text to speech in any language that can run on any sound the computer make or with the mic on hear
-Translation out lout for the above
-DLSS type for any games the computer render
-You can have imagine analysis of what you are doing, the example given is an custom audio tutorial for someone playing minecraft for the first time on their computer, that would be similar to anything you do for the first time on your computer
-MSPaint will generate image from your sketch and description
If this is what Microsoft is doing with the AI hardware I'm not impressed. I was thinking of a Siri type assistance that would use very little power or maybe used in games for NPC AI. It's one of those situations where we're creating hardware where nobody has a use for it, so people are now inventing one. I'm more concerned in what that AI hardware could be used against me, as in recording everything I do.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
. I was thinking of a Siri type assistance that would use very little power
That a lot what: -You can have imagine analysis of what you are doing, the example given is an custom audio tutorial for someone playing minecraft for the first time on their computer, that would be similar to anything you do for the first time on your computer, is.

take this example:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1792623877744623806

Replace someone speaking with the computer to learn how to play a video game by most things you can do on a computer, this will speed up your Siri like assistant for it to be able to read everything that happen to your screen, instead of sending it screenshot or copypaste text or explaining the context.

The compression ratio, speed of recall ability to find stuff you talk about that had no text by looking at the image are impressive, so impressive to the point to create valid concern.

maybe used in games for NPC AI
That for people that make game to do, game trying to have NPC using inference is a given, but game will often be played on something with a good gpu, will have if they do not run the inference on that instead.

That's suspicious as hell.
It is (a group was allowed by now too, but a biased one), a lot of people show us their snapdragon laptop, talk about the keyboard, no one run anytest, like everyone ever, assuming any test ever show was cherry pick to look the best it can is obviously what is going, adding we can assume windows x86 emulation has been getting better by the month for years, people actually testing this as late as possible the better.

take this example:
This is a weak example. There's a little icon right there in the middle of the UI that will tell you how to make a sword, and it'll even move the items from your inventory into the crafting table--and you can do it faster than some voice can give you a list of instructions.

This is a weak example. There's a little icon right there in the middle of the UI that will tell you how to make a sword, and it'll even move the items from your inventory into the crafting table--and you can do it faster than some voice can give you a list of instructions.
You get the goal here is to show what it is able to do, not to claim that explaining you how to play a game by itself is interesting, change it in your head in setuping Docker for the first time, doing a bit complex excel stuff, opening port on a new router, the example choosen is because everyone understand 100% of what being said and understand the AI is right.

But why do you have a icon right in the middle of an UI that tell you how to make a sword if it does not know you want to make a sword to start with,... I never played minecraft.. but that seem strange. And to show speed (like how it react to zombie showing up on the screen).

The speed for which we stop to be impressed is wild, now an computer look you play a game, understand your goal, that you are in your inventory and what is in it, what missing, tell you what to do in perfect english with little delay... not impressive, that how fast it will install itself, after a week what made people freak out will just be taken for granted. Not so long ago when google completed your word you started to type for a search correctly, you got freaked out.

Last edited:
But why do you have a icon right in the middle of an UI that tell you how to make a sword if it does not know you want to make a sword to start with
It gives you a grid of things you can make. You want to make a sword? Click the sword icon.

I don't think the idea, in general, is necessarily stupid. I think this is just not a good example.

It gives you a grid of things you can make. You want to make a sword? Click the sword icon.
Say I launch a game, would it not look like this:

View: https://youtu.be/K3H-WPuu5Q8?t=529

Where is the make a sword button or the icon right in the middle of the ui that would tell me how, it seem like you need to know something.

Or just on the twitter video where was that button ? Was it after pressing the E shortcut ? was it the green book ?

Is the suggestion it would have been faster to say: Click on the green book, mouse over the sword it will tell you : you are missing resources to craft it, faster than say it look like you are missing resource to craft it directly ?

Maybe or at least a better way, but that quite into the taste/really close.

Last edited:
Where is the make a sword button or the icon right in the middle of the ui t
I believe this video is the Windows edition, not the Java edition, and apparently crafting is somewhat different. In the Java edition, which is what the Twitter video shows, at about 15 seconds, he presses E to see his inventory. There's a little green icon right in themiddle of the UI, under his crafting grid, and above his inventory. That's a picture of a book. But first--you punch a tree so you pick up a wood block, and a popup says "new crafting recipes available. Open your guidebook" or something like that. Get a couple more blocks of wood, then press E to open your inventory. Click the little book, and the gui changes to this:
1716440161963.png

You'll have to click on the log (leftmost of the 3 icons) and convert all 3 logs to planks, then convert a couple of planks to sticks. No, it doesn't tell you this explicitly. But if you do, then you can click on the crafting table, and it will put the right stuff in the grid for you, and show the table in the rightmost square. Click on that and put it in your inventory, hit E agian to close the inventory, and then place the table on the ground. Now click on that--because you can't make a sword in your built-in crafting inventory, and the gui changes like so:
1716440353025.png

Click on the sword, and it will put the right stuff in your inventory, and the right-hand part looks like this:
1716440390726.png

Now you can click on the sword, and that crafts it. So I guess the actual process is a bit more than I remembered but I haven't looked at it as a noob in like 10 years. Now I'd have to go back and watch that Twitter video again to re-evaluate it to see how good or bad it is.

Personally, if available, I'd rather have a person walk me throught it than use Copilot or any LLM. The way they work, it might try to get you to create TNT.

Back