Starfield

I buy their games because I have fun playing them, but I hate their engine. There have been lots of complaining around the web on a lot of their games so not like they get a pass. Everyone knows a Bethesda game will be a bugfest so it is mainly the core game that drives sales.

At the end of the day if you still give them your money nothing's going to change.

I give them my money because their games are among the more enjoyable out there. Me spending 50+ hours in an SP game is a rarity nowdays, but I have that amount in Starfield because I had fun.

Indeed. I had over 100 before stepping through Unity.

Then there is crazy bastard me who has 808.2 hours invested and haven't stepped through Unity as of yet. :eek:

So rather than experiencing some new content on the other side of Unity you would rather replay the same content for 800hrs?
some of ya'll are weird.

To be fair....until you get a variant universe all you get is a slight change in dialog. Even then, variant universes really only change the lodge and whatever that explorer group is called.

To be fair....until you get a variant universe all you get is a slight change in dialog. Even then, variant universes really only change the lodge and whatever that explorer group is called.
You can use a mod to force variants pretty easily. He is also missing out on the Starborn stuff and the changes to the campaign.
We're talking about 800 hours in a game that has about 100 hours of actual content. At this point anything new is huge for him.

So rather than experiencing some new content on the other side of Unity you would rather replay the same content for 800hrs?
some of ya'll are weird.

You can use a mod to force variants pretty easily. He is also missing out on the Starborn stuff and the changes to the campaign.
We're talking about 800 hours in a game that has about 100 hours of actual content. At this point anything new is huge for him.

Weird? Or is there a method to my madness?

For Starfield, beginning world is a testing ground. I look to see what can & cannot be done or can be done with a mod or two.

I'm also working on getting a system wide supply chain running which will net me major credit currency. I want to complete and fine tune before hitting Unity.

Honestly its just a ship and some armor. I personally don't use the ship as its hideous. The rest is literally just dialog. Dialog that's optional in some situations. It's not like its common to all the quests either. I get where you are coming from but he's probably got outposts, ships, etc. he's customized and the desire to start over probably isn't there.

Honestly its just a ship and some armor. I personally don't use the ship as its hideous. The rest is literally just dialog. Dialog that's optional in some situations. It's not like its common to all the quests either. I get where you are coming from but he's probably got outposts, ships, etc. he's customized and the desire to start over probably isn't there.
At 800hrs in, I doubt the idea of effectively starting over holds any appeal.

Personally the NG+ system is causing me to re-approach my normal pattern in RPG games. First playthrough is going to be main quest line only. No side quests, no distractions. Then dedicate each NG+ to a single faction arc. This will be completely new for me as my normal style is to drag the main storyline out as much as possible and be as completionist as possible in a single go. Once all the arcs are done, I'll probably find a universe that I like and settle in for DLC, mods, outpost building etc.

Personally the NG+ system is causing me to re-approach my normal pattern in RPG games. First playthrough is going to be main quest line only. No side quests, no distractions. Then dedicate each NG+ to a single faction arc. This will be completely new for me as my normal style is to drag the main storyline out as much as possible and be as completionist as possible in a single go. Once all the arcs are done, I'll probably find a universe that I like and settle in for DLC, mods, outpost building etc.

Wow 800 hours!

Thats some dedication! Money well spent.

I honestly don’t have an issue with their technology. They fixed the biggest issue with their engine which was the 60fps limitation. I still think the game looks good when you consider the complexity. Starfield just was much bigger in scope than it should have been. IMO starfield should have been limited to a single solar system that was much more dense. That would have fixed most of the issues that make it a downgrade from their prior games.

Finally, the other thing that really detracts from star field is how generic everything feels. The lack of NPC types, the largely boring NASA inspired artwork, etc. It’s just bland compared to Fallout or Skyrim.

Finally, the other thing that really detracts from star field is how generic everything feels. The lack of NPC types, the largely boring NASA inspired artwork, etc. It’s just bland compared to Fallout or Skyrim.
Todd said in interviews he wanted to keep it realistic, and it definitely ended up hurting the game.
Probably wanted to avoid Mass Effect comparisons.

Dedicating each faction arc to a single NG+ run is going to only be about 4-6 hours of time. They aren't that involved and this game allows you to join every faction at once. The only one that makes you choose at some point is the Crimson Fleet. Even then you don't have to if you don't progress it the last couple quests. You get rewards for the other ones but honestly, they really don't add any flavor to the game or do anything past their completion. You get an apartment that you'll probably never visit for doing one of them and that's about it. And you still have to progress the "main" quest line in each universe to proceed to the next universe. Granted, its much faster on subsequent playthroughs as you can tell everyone at the lodge you are from an alternate universe. Plus, once you've done it three times there is a chance for variant universes.

I'd force this through a mod or console command because it will almost functionally never happen if you don't. The one I've pretty much settled in is the one where there is a duplicate of my character that's basically working as a hired hand on the ship.

Someone here spent 800 hours on Starfield? Wait… that equates to exactly a hundred 8-hour days of doing nothing but playing Starfield? That’s… hard to imagine?

Someone here spent 800 hours on Starfield? Wait… that equates to exactly a hundred 8-hour days of doing nothing but playing Starfield? That’s… hard to imagine?
I think he also has thousands of hours in all the other Bethesda games. Safe to say he just likes them.
Also Starfield has been out 7 or 8 months. 100 hours per month ain't crazy.

the game was released in September, so it doesn't have to be 8-hour days if he played since launch day (8 months since the game came out)

the game was released in September, so it doesn't have to be 8-hour days if he played since launch day (8 months since the game came out)
I realize that… so I guess I should have used the word ‘equivalent of’.

Also, I didn’t mean it as an insult or anything… I’m just astonished (jealous?) that someone has that much free time for a hobby.

I realize that… so I guess I should have used the word ‘equivalent of’.

Also, I didn’t mean it as an insult or anything… I’m just astonished (jealous?) that someone has that much free time for a hobby.

It's amazing how much extra money and time one has when you don't have children.

I just don't see how one could put that many hours into this game. I had fun with it, but it took me about 100 hours to do all the main missions + all unique locations, and that included some hours of making ships. I have way more hours in Fallout 4 and Skyrim simply because walking around exploring is way more fun.

So give me the no salt version...with middling expectations, is the game fun? I figured with all these new updates, It's on gamepass so might as well give it a shot.

So give me the no salt version...with middling expectations, is the game fun? I figured with all these new updates, It's on gamepass so might as well give it a shot.
I bought it at basically the $100 price tag to get the DLC eventually and I thought it was worth the money. 100 hours out of the base game, and of course the DLC isn't out yet.

However, if someone never played FO3/NV/Skyrim/FO4 I'd recommend playing all of those first before Starfield.

Yes. I had a blast. Will return when the DLC drops.
Does start a bit slow, give it 10-15 before passing judgement.

I liked it. It isn't my favorite Bethesda game and it has some flaws, but I don't regret my purchase. If you don't like the Elder Scrolls or Fallout games you probably will not like this. Really looking forward to after the mod tools come out.

I liked it. It isn't my favorite Bethesda game and it has some flaws, but I don't regret my purchase. If you don't like the Elder Scrolls or Fallout games you probably will not like this. Really looking forward to after the mod tools come out.
I love those games...played through everyone.

Bethesda should have used Vulkan for Starfield, it needs to be closer to the metal with drivers

Last edited:
Yes. I had a blast. Will return when the DLC drops.
Does start a bit slow, give it 10-15 before passing judgement.
If a game doesn't grab me in an hour or so I'm out. Waiting 10 or 15 hours for a game to get good is bullshit.
Why not? I have almost 600 hours in it.
1715011306646.png

If a game doesn't grab me in an hour or so I'm out. Waiting 10 or 15 hours for a game to get good is bullshit.

I was just meaning more towards getting to the meat 'n taters. You don't quite get everything all at once.

I don't know if this is new for anyone but is for me and it is hilarious! :D

On The Eye, take the right interior corridor to the bathroom. Walk into the toilet stall and look at the toilet paper. Activate.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Back